PDA

View Full Version : buspar and mirtazapine

dazzadoo123
20-11-13, 11:48
hi there on loads meds for anxiety depression got gien friday buspar from my phyciatrist but ive looked up drug interactons and read buspar with anti deppressents can have a major reaction ..
buspirone ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: BuSpar (buspirone), mirtazapine
Talk to your doctor before using busPIRone together with mirtazapine. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitaminshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=917-0,1640-0,441-206,1115-648#) and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

HoneyLove
20-11-13, 11:53
Hi Dazza, I don't think we can advise you on drug interactions. The best person to talk to would be your doctor, your therapist who prescribed the drug or even the pharmacist who gives you your prescriptions.

nomorepanic
20-11-13, 11:58
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

hanshan
20-11-13, 13:02
I am sure that your psychiatrist is more than aware of the existence of serotonin syndrome (over-supply of serotonin) and would not prescribe a combination that would cause it.

Serotonin is the neurotransmitter that makes many people with emotional problems feel better.

However, too much serotonin can have a reverse effect, making people feel much worse. For this reason, all doctors are aware of the potential dangers of over-prescribing serotonin-increasing medication.

dazzadoo123
20-11-13, 15:02
i phoned the phyciatrst and are hopefully getting a phone call from then tommoz regarding this issues of serotonin syndrome as i feel paranoid about taking the combination without speaking to the phyciatrst first ...

yenool
20-11-13, 16:54
Highly unlikely. Mirtazapine is quite often mixed with other medications which increase serotonin - for example mirtazapine and venlafaxine are quite a common combo and venlafaxine is very potent too.

buspirone has quite a weak action on serotonin. They would not have prescribed it if it wasn't safe - nor would the pharmacy have given you the medications if they were not safe together.

Serotonin syndrome is quite rare too.