PDA

View Full Version : Strategy and Flexibility

cpe1978
20-11-13, 19:24
I often read posts on here about HA with some frustration, we all seem lost, aware of our predicament yet in the main with no clue about how to get out of it.

I am quite a strategic person by nature and tend to apply this to both my work and my life and in reality this is exceptionally relevant to how I am approaching HA. I thought it might be useful to post some of the things that feature in my strategy to beat HA. However it is worth noting that the key of any good plan is the ability to notice when it isn't working, the flexibility to change it and the resilience to not get beaten when things don't go according to plan.

Bear in mind this is just my plan and not designed to be for everyone, but hopefully it is in keeping with the general upturn in positivity on this forum.

# My rule no. 1 - have realistic expectations of what you can achieve. In reality everyone has worries about health so expecting never to worry about health is unrealistic so identify what success looks like to you and keep your eye on the prize!

# My rule No. 2 - Acknowledge the issue. Who knows whether any one of us has a health condition, the reality is that not even with all the tests in the world can you be certain. So acknowledge the anxiety as a problem whilst not neglecting any health concerns you may have.

# No. 3 - find a GP you can trust and build a rapport with. Agree with them an approach to treating your mental health which could include meds, talking yearly or just oversight to see how you get on. Learn to trust them and ask the. Not to refer you for tests unless they believe objectively that it is necessary. For me I have opted for CBT (Privately) and visiting the GP every six weeks to monitor mental health and provide an outlet for physical concerns. We will wean off that eventually.

#No. 4- don't reassurance seek. You only have to read through posts on this forum to understand that it is an exercise in futility. Despite people's protestations over needing reassurance they reappear again with a different concern or a variation on a theme. Doesn't work.

# No. 5 - find positive things to do to fill your time and distract your mind. For me it is playing sport but I never feel more relaxed than when I am beating my friend on the badminton court.

# No. 6 Give yourself time and celebrate small victories. Don't expect to go from terrible to fantastic over night - map a positive trajectory.

# No. 7 Expect setbacks, sure as eggs is eggs they will come. Try and allow them To wash over you and then catch the next wave of positivity, but believe that it will be along soon.

# No. 8 - acknowledge negative behaviour patterns and have the determination and discipline to break them - it helps. So for instance I went through a phase of being obsessed with bubbles in urine, so I spent some time deliberately not checking and the anxiety diminished.

I am sure there are other parts of my plan and I may add to this post over time but I have to go and bath my kids now :)

katesa
20-11-13, 19:33
An excellent post my friend. Carry on like this and you'll be rivaling Skippy in the best sellers list!

Elen
20-11-13, 19:44
Billiant post.

Fishmanpa
20-11-13, 19:55
Great Post CP!

Positive Thoughts

Tanner40
20-11-13, 20:23
Thanks for posting this today, CP. I needed to read it!

cpe1978
20-11-13, 20:27
Thank you. It actually helps me to write things down. Will probably have a crap day tomorrow now ;)

I think what I am trying to get at is that it is easy to come on here and say that things are terrible, but we can't possibly hope to get better unless we have a plan and like any good plan that requires an acknowledgement of where you are, a clear and realistic vision of where you want to be and then a set of actions that you believe will get you there with the capacity to change if they don't work.