PDA

View Full Version : 26 year old plagued by panic

polly87
20-11-13, 21:09
Hello all

I'm Polly and I'm a PhD student. I am not new to anxiety. To be honest I've had it in one way or another my whole life. As an infant I coped by giving everyone that wasn't in my immediate family the silent treatment (I've read about selective mutes since then, I'm pretty sure I was one). At school I skived off most of my early secondary school days. During my GCSEs I became severely anxious about work and would procrastinate to the point of self-sabotage.

And yet, against all odds, I became a fully functioning and high achieving adult. I am still introverted by nature, but I'm not shy either and I can be quite the hedonist when I want to be. I'm fiercely ambitious and pretty good at acquitting myself in work and social situations. I'm smiley and giggly and very optimistic - at least I was...

I started to get behind in my PhD work, and then started having panic attacks: shortness of breath, heart palpitations, weird sensory discombobulations (don't know quite how to explain it). They don't last long but they are pretty frequent. I procrastinate fiercely, and now it is certainly impacting the quality of my work and my chances of completing on time. It is a shame because I really do enjoy my doctoral project, and though I'm not a natural writer I'm comfortable with writing in most situations. Now, going to the library triggers panic attacks, as does sending work to my supervisors. I'm also now very depressed - I am binge eating and suffering quite regular emotional breakdowns and periods of disconnect from my friends and my loving partner.

The hardest thing at the moment has been going to university and getting through some terrible feedback sessions. I've also found it really difficult to get myself to my GP and ask for diagnosis and treatment. It's like my brain can't cope with doing all the things, and its choice of action is to shut down completely leaving me incapable of doing anything.

Gosh, that was a rant. I also really like shoes and stationery.

Polly

Tanner40
20-11-13, 22:32
Hi Polly, welcome to NMP. I think you will find a great deal of support on this site. It seems in times of stress, my body's natural reaction is to shut down and pretend that I don't have many things that need to be done. The more that I procrastinated, the higher my anxiety and depression rise. Procrastination keeps me stuck in a cycle of anxiety and depression. The world and all of the tasks end up seeming insurmountable.

I can tell you that recently I have made a conscious effort to tackle old projects and responsibilities that I had put off. Once one of the big ones was completed I can't begin to tell you how great I felt. It showed me that I could do it, and that all was not lost.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Take one small step forward each day. If you could manage to talk with your GP, you might find some good assistance. Might be worth the try. Good luck.