PDA

View Full Version : pregab and drunk feeling yes/no

clio51
21-11-13, 10:00
Hi

I had my appointment with my psych yesterday, I told her that I still sometimes have high anxiety and agitation.
She suggested pregablin because I'm med sensitive she said start at 25mg for 2 weeks then 50mg for 2 weeks then 75mg for 2 weeks and see how I go with it.

I'm on venlafaxine 150mg,and obviously I'm scared to death going on yet another med! I hate symptoms they up my anxiety!!

My question is did you get the drunk feeling/ or not ?
Is it really bad you can't go out/function? This scares me

I know everyone is different but most on here seem to have got it, and mine is a very very low dose but as you know it's still frightening starting another med and I'm still toying with taking it as I have a very powerful thought that keeps saying another med do you really want another drug going into your brain!
I know that sounds dramatic but it's a thought I get. !

Thanks for reading. Hope you can help

SarahH
21-11-13, 18:19
I was started on 75mgs twice a day and git the drunk feeling. I did not find it scary at all because my anxiety was licked!!!!! The drunk feeling lasted a couple of days then my dose was increased and it came back again for 24hrs. Each increased I had the side effects came back then subsided over a few days.

HOWEVER, I was in a psych unit and the dose was put up to 400mgs a day within 2 weeks.!!!

Your dose is small and the increases are minimal. Iam VERY VERY sensitive to medication and I found pregabalin the easiest drug ever to take:)

Sarah

almamatters
21-11-13, 19:23
Hi I have been on 400mg of pregabalin for a year, started off with 100mg once daily then increased pretty quickly (over a three week period I think) to 400mg. I was really worried about side effects like dizziness but I didn't get too many problems. just a slight woozy feeling for a couple of days, but not enough to really bother me . I have tried a couple of different meds in the past and found pregabalin to be very helpful for me . Take Care.

Kells81
21-11-13, 19:25
Hiya

I got the drunk feeling at first but this was massively reduced by making sure I didn't have an empty stomach when I took my tablets

Xx

clio51
21-11-13, 19:27
Thanks very much guys much appreciated feedback.

I know it's quite a while since you started it, Is the drunk feeling the only se you got or is there any others?
400mg in 2 weeks wow! It was good in a way you were in hospital or you would of panicked having that effect being on your own you had expert people around you.

I'm so med sensitive, and had a long time getting through the se of venlafaxine and depression/anxiety in fact it was hard to tell what was se and what was anxiety/depression.

In fact I've not stopped thinking about it all day, really not helped myself with my anxiety but havnt reached for the diazepam! I think the drunk feeling,the not being in control! Freaks me out

I suppose I wanted to know if the drunk feeling se was something everybody got hence the title, well I've got a week before I go to the Dr who my psych as written back to.

wildrose
08-12-13, 16:00
Hi I have been on 400mg of pregabalin for a year, started off with 100mg once daily then increased pretty quickly (over a three week period I think) to 400mg. I was really worried about side effects like dizziness but I didn't get too many problems. just a slight woozy feeling for a couple of days, but not enough to really bother me . I have tried a couple of different meds in the past and found pregabalin to be very helpful for me . Take Care.

Hi I've had my pregabalin upped to 350mg since week ago.
I am still feeling this drunk type feeling and have felt a little more agitated over last couple of days. Probably because as yet I have felt no benefit from it. Been very weepyto on and off.

I have put my story on the introduction part but so far have had no replies at all.

Any ideas???
Also was taken off 20mg Nortriptyline within just a week. Been on both meds at low dose for burning skin sensation, but like I said my story is on introduction. Today I have had hot flishes, chills and sweats. I feel this is due to withdrawing Nortriptyline soooo quickly. The pharmasist said last wek that although only a small dose I was taken off very quckly and as I had been on it for 2 years my brain/body would havemade alterations and therefore needed to adjust back.

spregagablin really good for anxiety or should I just go without anything. I am very med sensitive. Tried Amitriptyline for the pain but got so anxious and agitated fast heart beat sweating tremors etc that it was decided to put me on the more expensive Nortriptyline

Hope all this makes sense.

I start a new job tomorrow but that's not bothering me. The sate of how my body is feeling does,

hanshan
09-12-13, 09:16
I'm a great believer in slow tapers down from antidepressants. You can always speed things up a bit if you feel all is going well.

It's more than possible that discontinuing an AD over a week and at the same time upping pregabalin can bounce your brain chemistry around a bit. But stick with the new regime for few weeks until things settle, and hopefully side effects subside. Then you can decide on the evidence whether it's doing you any good or not.