PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I have something stuck in my throat/chest

DeMaz
21-11-13, 17:24
Hi everyone

I've just signed to this forum as I think I need a bit of support....

I thought about posting this in the Pregnancy forum but I thought more people might know what might be wrong with me here!

I'm 36 years old and 24 weeks pregnant with my second child.

Ever since I can remember I have always been scared about my health. Through the years I have been convinced that I have had something wrong with me. I eventually get over it, move on and then something else will trigger it off again I.e. Hearing of someone being very ill.
My whole health anxiety wasn't helped when my mum died three years ago from an illness.

Anyway, fast forward to the last few weeks and I have just panicked about every little symptom. One week I had diarrhoea for five days and was convinced I had colon cancer. The following week I had lightheadedness and convinced myself that it was a symptom of another illness.
But the reason why I have posted is because a few times that I have gone to bed and laid down, usually on my left side, I have had this 'feeling' of something building up inside (starting from somewhere near my stomach I think) and working its way up into my chest area. It doesn't burn but it feels like someone is holding onto my esophagus quite tightly and just feels generally tightish making me want to cough. The feeling subsides after about 15 minutes. Now I feel like something is stuck in my throat. Have had it for a few days now! It's not painful but really annoying.

What could it be? Haven't been docs yet..

Thanks for reading....xxxx

nomorepanic
21-11-13, 17:33
Sounds like acid reflux/indigestion to me

:welcome: aboard

DeMaz
21-11-13, 17:39
Thanks NoMorePanic.....! Can you still have acid reflux without that burning sensation?

kerri
21-11-13, 19:28
Hi, I have exact same feeling and do suffer from reflux without heartburn x

DeMaz
21-11-13, 20:24
Thanks Kerri. It's horrid isn't it? I also get pain in my upper back, in between my shoulder blades. Not sure if that's normal or not? :shrug:

kerri
21-11-13, 20:36
I too get chest and upper back pain and always think the worst. Even ended up in A and E and it was trapped wind :blush:

DeMaz
21-11-13, 20:44
Thanks Kerri. It's always reassuring when you hear of others going through a similar thing (although I also sympathise too).

Thanks for your help xx

Fishmanpa
21-11-13, 21:45
Hi DeMaz,

Congrats on the little one on the way :) Some good stuff in the replies and indeed reflux is most likely the culprit especially with a wee one in your belly pushing your insides every which way. Now, the way to alleviate it is two fold. Obviously something to help quell the acid production and then more importantly, getting to why your stomach is producing excess acid and that's your anxiety. By doing so you'll also treat all those other niggles that keep popping up :)

Positive thoughts!

katesa
21-11-13, 22:10
I had this from the end of the second trimester all the way through the third when I was pregnant if I didn't take the anti bile pills the doc prescribed me.

And they say pregnancy is magical.

DeMaz
22-11-13, 10:52
Aww guys, thanks so much for your replies....

Hi Fishmanpie, thanks so much for the advice. I really do need to calm down. As soon as I feel it getting worse and worse I end up panicking! Hope you're doing well Fishmanpie? Lots of hugs...

Kate, thanks so much. My first pregnancy was a breeze. This one is a whole different kettle of fish......Grrrrr.....

Thanks again everyone x

star68
22-11-13, 23:45
It sounds like esophageal spasm followed by globus hystericus. Itīs all triggered by GERD asnd anxiety. I ended in A&E last week with this symptoms fearing the worse and they said it was an esophageal spasms. Itīs very painful and the only thing that might relieve it is Prilosec or muscle relaxants. They can come and go I have been dealing with them for the last 10 years and always come to visit me when I am anxious about something. The best thing is relax but sometimes itīs difficult depending on what is giving you anxiety.