PDA

View Full Version : Please can anyone advise? Propranolol 40mg

booju
21-11-13, 20:06
Hi I was prescribed propranolol today 40mg. I am at the end of CBT for PTS related to a car crash I had in Feb. The cbt has helped me understand what's going on in my brain but it hasn't stopped the panic setting in when I'm in certain driving situations. Now it's winter i am getting worse as my anxiety is related to the weather as I spun out on the motorway in snow (I have forced myself to keep driving but am getting worn down by the stress of it now it's getting icy)

Just wondering if anyone has found propranolol helpful or not? I am a bit worried that I tend to have quite low blood pressure anyway and am already feeling light-headed/dizzy before I've even taken it!

Tim89
21-11-13, 22:11
Hi booju, firstly sorry to hear of you having had a crash and the subsequent anxiety it's caused. I think it must be a very natural reaction to a traumatic event such as a crash although I understand it must be very hard for you. Regarding propranolol the light headedness/dizzy feeling is often simply a result of anticipatory anxiety - thinking something bad will happen when you take it therefore you needn't worry. Whilst the drug itself can cause light headedness its nothing to worry about either and is seen as a common side effect and is something you can talk to your GP about. If you haven't already it might be a good idea to start at a reduced dose to assess your tolerance. I did this when I was prescribed, beginning by taking as little as 10mg. Regarding its effectiveness in your situation you should know it purely deals with the physical symptoms of panic: racing heart, shaking hands etc. and does nothing to alter your thinking. however hopefully you can use your CBT in combination. good luck.

Lou1
22-11-13, 18:49
Hi, When i was prescribed propanolol i felt the same as you, terrified to try it , but my rapid breathing all day every day was just too much to cope with so i gave it a go, i take a 40mg tablet up to 3 a day, I usually notice the difference after about 45 mins, my breathing starts slowing back down to a normal pace and i just generally feel calmer, my doctor said it blocks the adrenalin which cause the fight or flight symptoms and it slows your heart rate down, sometimes i may feel quite tired but have had no other side effects whatsoever and i would say it really has helped x

booju
22-11-13, 20:48
Hi Tim & Lou,

Thank you so much for your advice & support. I am going to take a tablet tonight and see how i get on with it over the weekend as I don't have to drive too far until Monday when am back at work. Hopefully it will help - even if it's only with the physical symptoms - getting a bit desperate to have a normal existence again! it's good to know other folk are so understanding ...:)