PDA

View Full Version : How many drugs to find the right one?

nomirawr1
22-11-13, 00:26
How many drugs did you have to go through to find the right one?

I've only tried 2 different drugs - 2 years on Nadolol (Beta-Blocker), and now 10 or so days on fluoxetine.
So far I've had very very few side effects on the Fluoxetine and it's done a great job at curbing my anxiety and allows me to function at a pretty good level - It had a huge improvement about 3 days into taking it.

I feel kind of weird about finding a good medication the second time - like it should take a few tries to find the right one!

nomorepanic
22-11-13, 00:30
Are you getting some therapy as well - it doesn't have to be all about medication?

nomirawr1
22-11-13, 00:41
No, in NZ the mental health services are all but non-existent unless you're able to pay through the nose for them.
I saw a counselor a while ago, but even he admitted that I am WAY too screwed up for him!

nomorepanic
22-11-13, 00:47
Why don't you try some free online cbt programmes like the one we recommend

yenool
22-11-13, 20:05
No, in NZ the mental health services are all but non-existent unless you're able to pay through the nose for them.
I saw a counselor a while ago, but even he admitted that I am WAY too screwed up for him!

You should view that as a reflection/judgement on HIS abilities as a therapist NOT on you. I don't believe anyone is ever too 'screwed up' to be helped.

To be honest 2 medications isn't a lot. Some people find their MH problems are quite resistant to medication. I've tried many different medications recently (4th one this year) and I've yet to find one that helps. :mad:

As others have mentioned there are free/cheap online self-help resources. Online CBT is an option worth exploring, as is guided meditation and mindfulness.

fay2013
22-11-13, 22:06
I've found lately focusing on breathing alone can help. Breathe in for 4 seconds ish and out for longer 5 to start (or whatever ur comfortable with) and focus on something, even a crack in the wall or a curtain for example and go down it. Also there are lots of good books available from the library. I started on escitalopram and now on sertraline, had my dose upped a lot earlier this year but things r getting better. Don't give up hope, it definately takes time and effort :( and that's bad ur counsellor said u were too ****ed up!! Defo not a good counsellor :/

Tanner40
22-11-13, 22:11
I'm working on the online CBT program and I'm so happy that it was recommended.

nomirawr1
23-11-13, 01:33
Thanks, I wasn't aware that this stuff was available online, so I'll take a looksee. It never actually occurred to me to look for it online!

Back to the original question though, I really am interested, in how many medications people often go through to find the right one.