PDA

View Full Version : problems sleeping, anxiety, hypnic jerks

mbu
23-11-13, 11:00
Hey guys,

I have been struggling with GAD/OCD for years.

For the past few nights I have been experiencing these weird issues though - every time I am about to fall asleep, I have a hypnic jerk (like a twitch), which gets me awake. It happens for HOURS, and sometimes is not just a twitch, but more like a weird sudden awake.

Of course, I freak out about this, which I think makes things even worse. I only fall asleep after hours of struggling, around 5:00 AM.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to overcome this?

Thanks a lot

PanchoGoz
23-11-13, 11:04
Hypnic jerks are increased with stress we think, but they don't need to keep you awake. I usually go back to sleep after them. It is most likely you worrying about them that keeps you awake. It's a cycle as you become more worried, then you get more hypnic jerks which makes you more worried. Let them happen and tell yourself hey are a normal part of falling asleep and welcome them. They may happen less frequently then. Also look at your sleep hygene.

Rennie1989
23-11-13, 12:48
I get those jerks quite often, more often when I'm very tired or stressed. I think worrying about makes you sleep less. They are not harmful, just a nuisance more than anything.

Kahi - I will answer your thread. Don't take over other threads though, please.

mbu
23-11-13, 17:46
Thank you so much guys! They do seem worse when I get worried I have them it's like a vicious cycle.

Also - you are totally right - my sleep habits are very messy, especially lately - so you think this might have something to do with it as well?

Thanks again for your responses and support!

PanchoGoz
23-11-13, 17:58
Yes definitely. Keep a good routine and stay off the bed in daytime.