PDA

View Full Version : I can't take this anymore. What meds shall I ask my GP to prescribe?

cjemc
23-11-13, 11:22
I am going on Monday, I cant handle life or the way I have become anymore. I am 99% certain I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Nervous Breakdown, Retching and Social Anxiety Disorder.

My Mum reckons Propranolol will bring me back down to a normal, rational person. But she says Valium is an absolute NO:weep:

PLEASE HELP ME

Rennie1989
23-11-13, 12:33
Nobody here can recommend any medication to you because we are not medical professionals. You need to see your doctor, get a diagnosis and discuss treatment plans. Only he is qualified to prescribe you medication and he will know what medication may work for you best. But keep your eyes open, medication does not work for everyone.

jayjoe18
23-11-13, 12:52
Like Rennie said nobody can recommend a certain medication as what works for one might not work for another and we all have different anxieties.

What you need to ask yourself is what is the cause of your anxieties? If a certain circumstance or life event is the cause then maybe Propranolol will help to reduce the symptoms but also some sort of therapy to get to the root cause?

If however it's been a long standing problem, with no real cause, then maybe you might require an SSRI along with therapy.

Like I said your personal circumstances need to be taken into account so a good talk with your GP is the best thing. Just make sure you go to your appointment with some knowledge of the medication available so you can make an informed decision on what's best for you.

cjemc
23-11-13, 12:57
OK thanks guys. I have been anxious since I left school aged 16 in May 2004. How do I explain this all to him? Because I have a diary of over 100 pages of how I feel and I wont have time to explain that all to him.

Rennie1989
23-11-13, 13:10
Write down key points. What you think sets your anxiety off, what symptoms you suffer from, what aspect of anxiety disturbs your daily living the most and how long it's been going on for.

jayjoe18
23-11-13, 13:25
I agree with Rennie, key points are good to show your GP and you can always show your diary to a therapist should you want to go down the therapy route.

Also, if you wanted you could write/print off more detail of your anxieties and hand it in at your doctors surgery for your personal GP to read before your appointment, that way your doctor will be more prepared when it comes to your appointment and you will have more time to discuss treatment options.

I started with anxiety at 12/13 and just started anti-d's. Sounds like you might benefit from these as it's been going on quite a while for you like mine has.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

cjemc
23-11-13, 13:31
Yes I agree entirely, I am just worried in case he tries to section me. I am not a danger to myself or others I just feel like my world is falling to pieces.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

These last few days have felt so strange to me. I think I am developing agrophobia, I cant seem to travel more than a mile away from my home, I don't know why this is happening, what did I do to deserve this. My mum and sister keep telling me to snap out of it but I have tried telling them that its not my fault if my brain is misfiring and sending the wrong signals to different parts of my body.

Rennie1989
23-11-13, 13:32
If you are not in any danger to yourself or others then they cannot section you. Unless you specifically say that you plan to or want to harm yourself or others.

jayjoe18
23-11-13, 13:50
I highly doubt that would happen calumcco, please don't worry about that. I think they only do that in extreme cases, they will try all other measures first I'm sure. Like I said I've had anxiety for a long time and not once has that ever been mentioned. I've actually had a very good experience, my GP has been very very helpful and understanding over the years. They will likely offer you SSRI and hopefully therapy, if not you may need to push for the therapy if you want this, services tend to be quite full but it is an option for you.

Honestly though don't be afraid, this is a really positive step you are taking!

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

These last few days have felt so strange to me. I think I am developing agrophobia, I cant seem to travel more than a mile away from my home, I don't know why this is happening, what did I do to deserve this. My mum and sister keep telling me to snap out of it but I have tried telling them that its not my fault if my brain is misfiring and sending the wrong signals to different parts of my body.

I'm agoraphobic because of my anxieties, it's not uncommon, but the good thing is if it is only just starting for you and you are getting help now then it will be much easier to overcome. You didn't do anything wrong, it's just unfortunately something that happens to some of us, most often it happens to the most intelligent and caring (I think we think and care too much!) so don't beat yourself up. You said yourself your brain is misfiring, obviously you have no control over this, it's nothing you have done wrong, it's genetic/chemicals, something which meds will help you with.

As for your mum and sister, it is hard for family and others to understand what you are going through if they have never experienced it for themselves. Many times people will tell you to snap out of it, if only it were that easy! People just aren't sympathetic towards mental health unfortunately. Maybe you could print off some info for them too so they can have a better understanding of what you're going through?

cjemc
23-11-13, 14:35
I just feel so bad, cant concentrate or anything, I feel tired, yawning, lethargic, cant keep my head straight, keep having to rest it against something. Feel drained :(

Edie
23-11-13, 16:06
Hi Calum, I'm sorry you're struggling so much at the moment.

Please do not be afraid of going to the doctor. There is absolutely nothing you have said so far that would get you sectioned, so don't worry about that. It would be a good idea to just write down key points about how you are feeling to show the doctor.

As for medication, I would be guided by your doctor. Different people react differently to different meds so it's really hard to say what might work for you. Propranolol does work well for a lot of people, so it might turn out your mum is right. Antidepressants such as Citalopram are also helpful for a lot of people, so that might be another option. Valium is more for people with panic attacks, as it stops the panic quickly. It may or may not be right for you, depending on your situation. It does have its place as a short term measure, so if your doctor recommends it then maybe you could ask for some reassurance about it if it worries you - remember it's up to you and your doctor what medication you take, not your mum.

Another option is therapy. Medication can lift symptoms, but therapy can teach you coping strategies that you can continue to use after your therapy is finished. So it might be worth asking about this as well, though be aware there is often a long waiting list. Medication may well help in the meantime.

I really hope you can get some help soon, you don't deserve to feel so awful.

cjemc
23-11-13, 16:15
Can people drink alcohol with meds or is it not advisable?
My Mum was prescribed Valium in 1985 when she rushed herself to A&E with dreadful anxiety, she took 1 tablet which put her to sleep and she vowed she would never take Valium again so that's why I would be very hesitant if I was told to take that.

Mental health issues run in my family, my Nan was agarophobic, my Mum and sister both had anxiety along with me and my Dad was very strange individual indeed.

As for sectioning, would it ever be beneficial to attend a hospital voluntarily or is that a bad idea?

Rennie1989
23-11-13, 16:37
Medication and alcohol is not something that should be mixed. Ever. Doctors specifically advice against it.

You can't section yourself, per say, but you can ask to be referred to a psychiatric hospital/ward if you feel it being necessary. Although, coming from someone who was close to being sectioned, beds are very limited and if you present no sure signs of harming yourself or others you may be turned away. If you cannot look after yourself, at all (I'm talking about not feeding yourself, not able to do basic day to day tasks) then hospital admission may be a benefit but if you can complete day to day tasks (from what I can assume, as you're able to post on here) then hospital admission would be redundant, you're much better off being at home with familiar surroundings, smells, sounds, food and people and waiting for treatment from a doctor or CMHT.

cjemc
23-11-13, 16:43
Just had another bout of despair then, I was going to go to the shops but I didn't feel like it and started crying and saying NO NO NO over and over again. I don't go anywhere or do anything, I don't trust people, I live on an industrial estate, I have left my job of 7 years, I don't eat properly, I survive on junk foods and never eat a breakfast, I spend all of my time indoors, I have never had proper friends, I have never had a relationship, I have battled anxiety all my life, I have never felt like a normal person really. HURRY UP 6PM SO I CAN HAVE A DRINK AND FEEL NORMAL AGAIN

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

I wish I was back in London, we had proper pubs and restaraunts down there, we left London permanently in 2012 (my family) and I miss it. I used to be out a lot down there. I have recently lost 2 homes and had to move house. My Nan had dementia and suffered for 2 long years. My Dad attacked my Mum (bit her) and we had to leave our home of 16 years, then I lost my job.
I think all this has contributed to my nervous wreck status. And all this coupled with what I just posted has just got on top of me and because of my lack of family and friends I don't know how to cope anymore.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Medication and alcohol is not something that should be mixed. Ever. Doctors specifically advice against it.

You can't section yourself, per say, but you can ask to be referred to a psychiatric hospital/ward if you feel it being necessary. Although, coming from someone who was close to being sectioned, beds are very limited and if you present no sure signs of harming yourself or others you may be turned away. If you cannot look after yourself, at all (I'm talking about not feeding yourself, not able to do basic day to day tasks) then hospital admission may be a benefit but if you can complete day to day tasks (from what I can assume, as you're able to post on here) then hospital admission would be redundant, you're much better off being at home with familiar surroundings, smells, sounds, food and people and waiting for treatment from a doctor or CMHT.

Why were you nearly sectioned Rennie and when was this?

Rennie1989
23-11-13, 16:45
Right, you've noted some key points there that is possibly contributing to your anxiety:
- Your refusal to go out
- Eating junk food
- Concentrating on the fact that you're indoors
- Consumption of alcohol

You must try to go outside. Once we are afraid of something and begin to avoid it the worse the fear will get. I was suspended from work and the shock and shame of it nearly brought on agoraphobia. I simply had to force myself to go out and face the world, it was hard at first but it got easier every time. Eating and drinking healthier will give your body the nutrients it needs and you will feel a ton better because of it.

Alcohol is a depressant, why drink alcohol if you're feeling in despair? You don't feel normal, that emotion is artificially created by the alcohol. Reliant on alcohol to make you feel better will only get worse if you don't recognise this now and get out of the habit.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

I will PM you about the sectioning.

cjemc
23-11-13, 16:52
Hi Rennie, it's not that I don't go out at all. I would love to go out but where I live is very isolated and I have never had confidence to mix socially. And this agrophobic feeling only started a few days ago but I have managed (just about) to venture out and carry on as normal.

I eat junk food as I don't/cant cook very well and when I do it is something basic.

I drink alcohol because when I have it I feel so much more loud and confident and able to interact. It also stops the retching sensation and anxiety which plagues me for most of my days nowadays.

I try not to concentrate on being indoors!

Rennie1989
23-11-13, 16:55
I can't cook either but boiling up some vegetables does not take much skill. The alcohol may benefit you now but it won't fix the anxiety, it will only make it worse. I wish there was a way that I can make you understand how badly alcohol will affect you in the future if you become dependent on it....

cjemc
23-11-13, 16:57
You really seem to think alcohol is a bad idea don't you?:D
I wonder if most people who drink regularly are depressed and anxious people generally speaking?
Do you drink at all?

Rennie1989
23-11-13, 17:10
I'm not saying that those with anxiety and depression should not drink alcohol at all, I'm trying to get the point across that people should moderate their consumption to what is a healthy amount. If I drink then it's one glass of wine, I enjoy my one glass, and that's all it remains. I have not been drunk for well over a year now, I just don't like it anymore. Drunkenness increases my anxiety and it's just not worth it.

cjemc
23-11-13, 18:02
Yeah that's true, I went without alcohol for most of 2010 and whenever I introduced it to my diet I felt horribly anxious :blush:

What do meds make you feel like? Do they make you feel calm and relaxed?

PanchoGoz
23-11-13, 18:03
Those who drink regularly, socially, are fine. Those who drink medicinally are digging themselves a deep hole. It's like smoking cannabis to relax, your life when you are sober seems pointless and you want to be drunk or high all the time. Please don't drink to escape your symptoms. Focus on relaxing until the doctors.

cjemc
23-11-13, 18:11
Do you suppose it could be that heavy drinking is causing a large part of my retching and general anxiety?

Fishmanpa
23-11-13, 19:54
Do you suppose it could be that heavy drinking is causing a large part of my retching and general anxiety?

Only one way to find out right? ;) Truly, drinking is not doing you any favors. In general, it doesn't do anyone any favors. If you're not able to have the self control to limit yourself to one beer or a glass of wine with dinner, then you really should forgo it all together.

Based of what I've read in this thread it would be highly advisable to stop drinking.

Positive thoughts

cjemc
23-11-13, 20:10
I really wish I had more will power and a supportive family/friend unit! That would be a help! Thanks for your words of support as well, may I ask where in the States you are from?

Fishmanpa
23-11-13, 20:13
I really wish I had more will power and a supportive family/friend unit! That would be a help! Thanks for your words of support as well, may I ask where in the States you are from?

I reside in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia :)

Positive thoughts

cjemc
23-11-13, 20:26
Virginia is a beautiful state :D

Broken-doll
24-11-13, 12:11
Drinking really is the devil! I used to binge drink on a night out myself, and the level of anxiety I felt the next day was absolutely unbearable. Any anxiety sufferer will tell you to avoid drinking alchohol at all costs. Caffeine is another trigger. You would be surprised how much better you feel if you cut alchohol and caffeine out. X

russdownunder
24-11-13, 12:22
Good on ya mate. You mentioned in another post that you were scared of being labeled a "Loony" by a doctor. I repeat... Your doctor will treat you, not judge you.

You've just made the first step in coping with anxiety! Congratulations!

One other thing. Don't hold back. Tell the doc ALL of your problems ok? Including your drinking habit. You told me you only had 3 per night? Their trained to help you. They don't do all that study just to sit around sctraching their bums!

cjemc
24-11-13, 14:50
Why am I retching badly again? This is ruining my life, its just like a never ending urge/sensation to dry heave but nothing ever comes up. Is it Acid Reflux or just complete and utter anxiety? It's affecting my ability to talk, my ability to stay calm and rational, it's making me scared to drive in case I gag so violently that I end crashing my car and killing myself ... Can't bear living like this. I am a ghost of my former self that I remember from all those years ago.

nicola1980
24-11-13, 15:18
Hi the retching is just pure anxiety i used to suffer the exact same, it slowly got better when i started my meds and now Im Free of it, it honestly is quite a common anxiety symptom x x

cjemc
24-11-13, 15:31
Thank you so much Nicola. I just worry in case I have damaged my stomach or internal organs from years of heavy drinking, however the lack of any pain or any vomit seems to completely eradicate this belief!

And when I retch it is accompanied with severe terror, sweating, tight throat, feeling of intense doom, needing to escape out of my body, avoiding areas where I am not in control, and avoiding situations where retching will make me look an idiot e.g. interviews, social situations:weep:

What meds would help an urge to retch/dry heave???

Rennie1989
24-11-13, 15:37
There's no medication that relieves retching/heaving.

jayjoe18
24-11-13, 16:38
There's no medication that relieves retching/heaving.

Maybe, but anti-anxiety meds would help the anxiety and hopefully stop the retching as Nicola said, mention the retching to your GP Calum.

cjemc
24-11-13, 17:18
I have done but he didn't have a clue what it was !

nicola1980
24-11-13, 17:55
Thank you so much Nicola. I just worry in case I have damaged my stomach or internal organs from years of heavy drinking, however the lack of any pain or any vomit seems to completely eradicate this belief!

And when I retch it is accompanied with severe terror, sweating, tight throat, feeling of intense doom, needing to escape out of my body, avoiding areas where I am not in control, and avoiding situations where retching will make me look an idiot e.g. interviews, social situations:weep:

What meds would help an urge to retch/dry heave???

That's exactly how i used to feel with regards to the retching, i used to drink quite a bit a few years ago but don't touch alcohol at all now as it just sets my anxiety off, i really believe you would benefit from an SSRI or an SNRI to get your anxiety under control which in turn will help with the retching, i take venlafaxine which is an SNRI But its trial and error getting the right med to suit you x x

cjemc
25-11-13, 14:43
Haven't felt too bad today but I just imagined if I had to drive on my own far from home and I started dry heaving...:weep:
How am I ever going to have any quality of life when simple little things like this are causing me to dry heave? Where does this end, will I eventually start dry heaving at everything?
I wonder what has caused my body to become this gibbering wreck that I currently am? Is it chemistry or learned behaviour?

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

I have also been putting off a Glucose Tolerance Test for nearly a month now as I am too petrified to be stuck in a hospital where I cant escape from and having to stay there for over 2 hours scares the living hell out of me. What should I do??? I don't think I have diabetes so should I just forget about the test? But my doctor wants me to have it done :weep:

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Now I've come over real bad, I almost feel like calling an ambulance, I am gagging every few minutes and my nose is running, I am shivering, I feel like death is imminent. I wish this would go away and leave me alone, I cant see the point in carrying on like this, it's ruining my quality of life, how am I meant to engage people in a conversation or drive safely if I cant control my gag reflex or whatever the f*** is triggering this aggravating symptom. I sometimes cry and wonder why this had to happen to someone so sensitive and unable to cope like myself ...

Could an ear issue trigger dry heaving which in turn could be triggering my anxiety?
Whenever I yawn upon wakening I get the most loud trapped air sound and crackling coming from my left ear drum and if I rub my ear and then stop the noise happens for a few seconds and then disappears again. And when I was a teen I had fluid behind my eardrum but I was never given anything for this, could this be the cause? Aren't the ears and throat connected???

Thank you guys and I am so sorry for plaguing you with my troubled mind... Thank you all for your patience and understanding. I cant wait for 6pm so I can have a can of lager to calm me down !!!

PanchoGoz
25-11-13, 15:05
We can't diagnose your gagging problem, the doctor should have reassured you on that one, did he not think it was anxiety? I think you need to accept the gagging as a symptom of anxiety for now, symptoms vary for everyone and this seems to be the most troublesome for you. It's hard not to self-focus and problem solve when you feel like this but you need to rest your mind on outside tasks. I'm not sure why the doctor wants you to have that test but a couple of hours is nothing if it changes your life. What else did he tell you?
Also if you constantly think about the gagging it will make it worse. Like if you think about sherbert lemons your mouth waters. You probably test yourself out with it too by constricting your throat or something that makes it worse

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

No. More. Alcohol.

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

If this forum allowed me to type in capitals I would because STOP MEDICATING WITH ALCOHOL!

cjemc
25-11-13, 15:10
Sorry PanchoGoz, I am trying my best with the alcohol!

I told me GP I had been retching for 28 months and that I was an anxious person but he didn't seem to speculate further with regards to this. I asked him if he had ever seen someone with my problem "retching" in his 20 years as a GP and he said Never, he found it unusual when I told him I had not come to see him as soon as I started getting the retching and he also found it very odd indeed that I had no physical pain in any part of my body.

And Yes to a certain degree retching has become inendented on my mind, its the first thing I think of in the morning, its the last thing on my mind at night and its the first thing on my mind when I wake up in the middle of the night so I suppose to a certain extent it could be learned behaviour.

Rennie1989
25-11-13, 15:28
Anything medical needs to be discussed with a doctor. We cannot diagnose.

I don't mean to pick but you said you were anxious about being in hospital for two hours for a glucose test yet you're willing to go to hospital regarding your wrenching. You are aware that you could be in A&E longer than two hours?

cjemc
25-11-13, 15:37
Hi rennie, I see what you mean but I meant that if I was in A&E I would be free to leave should I wish to however if I go for the Glucose Tolerance Test I will be required to stay for the whole 2 and a half hours and I wouldn't be able to leave if I felt overwhelmed

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 15:45
Calum, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with this, we can all see you're struggling.

Tell me what have you eaten today? What is your diet like in general, do you eat enough to keep yourself going throughout the day?

You know alcohol uses up the B vitamins in your body, which are the ones you need for a calm nervous system. It will also contribute to low blood sugar. Both of these issues may play a part in why you feel so bad, so it's worth giving up the drink for a while an supplementing with a B vitamin complex if it's combatible with your medication.

When my acid reflux problems are bad I can retch a lot, but it usually has to be severe for that to happen and it generally happens in the morning time.

Ear issues can definitely trigger anxiety, especially if they're making you feel off balance or dizzy. If you do have an acid reflux problem it's possible that the acid may be irritating your throat and sinuese.

I also have jaw issues that mess with my ears and that can make me feel nauseous and retch frequently too. Are you clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth at night? This may be the cause of your morning jaw clicking and ear crackling/issues.

So perhaps what's happening to you is a jumble of things, all contibuting to and propelled by the anxiety. It's a vicious cycle.

The first step you need to consider is getting out of the alcohol habit, learning some health relaxation methods then looking at your lifestyle to see if jaw clenching or not eating enough may be adding to your problems.

cjemc
25-11-13, 17:27
Would it be worth asking my GP or someone at the hospital if I could have a sedative to calm me down whilst I am having the Glucose Tolerance Test? Or is that just ridiculous?

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Hi HoneyLove, today I woke up at 9AM. I had 5 cans of lager last night as I had friends over and I had the day off today. I didn't eat anything until 2pm and it was a KFC, I am just cooking myself a ready meal which will be ready at about 6. I drink about 2 cans of soft drink each day, oh and I had a £1 Rustlers burger for lunch as well.

And thanks for the link between Vitamin B and the nervous system, I never knew that was a link! I will definitely buy some B Vitamins from Holland and Barratt tomorrow.

I think that maybe the untreated fluid behind the ear drum could be a possible cause, my doctor looked in my ear and said it was fine but I wonder what the trapped air noise when I yawn is?

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 18:04
Callum, thanks for all the info, it gives a much clearer idea of what may be going on for you.

Not eating anything until 2pm today, on top of drinking a couple of cans last night, is likely to be a major factor in why you're feeling so bad today. Do you repeat that pattern often?

In the morning your blood sugar will naturally be low after fasting while you sleep. The alcohol will have added to the low blood sugar effect by giving you an initial spike in sugars but then a big drop as the night went on. Low blood sugar can cause all kinds of odd symptoms, including anxiety and panic, and it can make you feel horrendous (I've been there!).

Your brain and body (and importantly, for anxiety sufferers, your nervous system) need fuel to function well. If you're taking huge breaks between when you eat you're leaving yourself open to all kinds of problems, including anxiety. If you're not eating regularly you're going to feel bad, even if you don't feel hungry if you know what I mean.

You also need a balanced diet to function well too. This doesn't mean that you have to be really healthy, but the kinds of foods you're eating wont sustain a healthy body & brain. The soft drinks and alcohol just add to the problem.

If you're not giving your body fuel/food regularly, and you're not consuming foods that have the nutrients you need to live well, then how can you expect to function well? Bad dietary habits an affect our mental health just as badly as our physical health.

I get the feeling that this may be a big part of your recovery, something as simple as beginning to look after yourself properly.

With regard to the b vitamins, Berrocca can be a good complex to take, I always have some on hand for when I'm feeling stressed.

It's not very likely that you still have fluid behind your ear after all these years, your doctor would be able to see it if it was still there. The sounds you're hearing when yawning are more likely to be caused from muscle tension from your jaw, especially if this is happening most often first thing in the morning - it sounds like you may be clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth at night. It might be worth looking into TMJ dysfunction for more information.

cjemc
25-11-13, 19:05
Honey Love thank you so much for your help and advice, you have really calmed me down and you make me think so rationally! I know/accept that that my stupid inability to eat normally and give up drinking has probably contributed to this! One person in my family even went as far to say that it is highly likely that I have an "alcohol induced anxiety disorder" :ohmy:

I have taken in everything you have said and I am going to dry my damned hardest to take on board what you had said and start to control my own health both physical and mentally!

On a more positive note whereabouts in Ireland are you from? My family are from Athea, Limerick and New Ross, Wexford :D

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 19:15
Honey Love thank you so much for your help and advice, you have really calmed me down and you make me think so rationally! I know/accept that that my stupid inability to eat normally and give up drinking has probably contributed to this! One person in my family even went as far to say that it is highly likely that I have an "alcohol induced anxiety disorder" :ohmy:

I have taken in everything you have said and I am going to dry my damned hardest to take on board what you had said and start to control my own health both physical and mentally!

On a more positive note whereabouts in Ireland are you from? My family are from Athea, Limerick and New Ross, Wexford :D

Calum it's not an inability, it's a refusal ;)

It takes some willpower, but when you see what difference eating & living well can make to how you feel it will become so easy for you! Like I said, it doesn't have to be super healthy but just more balanced and regular eating. And less drinking of course - if you think you're having trouble with alcoholism then get in touch with the AA for some help. Reach out for all the resources you can to get better.

Just think of it as being kind to yourself, part of recovery is simply learning to be good to yourself and starting to live a life that will make you happy and healthy. Think of it as crafting a good life for yourself, making the most out of your time here.

You have irish family, have you ever been over for a visit? I'm from Tipperary myself, lovely part of the midlands :)

cjemc
25-11-13, 19:21
Yes I am in Ireland all the time! Can't fly though I am petrified so I have to get the Boat Train! And unfortunately alcoholism runs in my family, all on my Mum's side mainly but also on my Dad's side.

And I have battled heavy drinking since I was about 18.:ohmy:

The thought of going without a drink petrifies me, that's why I drink regularly. I cant sleep at night without it, i.e. I cant drift off without a night cap, my mind just races and races and I keep feel like I am falling off something high and keep waking up with a shock :blush:

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 19:25
Have you ever been to the AA, or tried to get any help with the drinking? It sounds like you could use some support with it. I know it runs in your family, but it's still possible for you to battle it and end up having a better life than relatives who have succumbed to it. There is so much help out there for you if you search for it.

I'm terrified of flying too! The last flight I took was once home from London & there was thunder and lightening as we were taking off, it was flipping scary. So the last time I took the train/boat too, and actually it was kind of fun! Less stress doing it that way too, and far more relaxing on the boat than on a plane.

cjemc
25-11-13, 19:28
Do you have links to London then? I was born there but moved to Luton years ago :) I would hate going to AA on top of the Anxiety, I would feel like such a failure :blush:

Rennie1989
25-11-13, 19:32
Just because alcoholism runs in the family does not mean that that is our fate. And do not feel ashamed seeking help from the AA. It takes massive balls to admit that you have a problem (whether it's alcohol, drugs etc) and to seek help for it. I have absolute admiration for people who do that.

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 19:37
Callum understand that reaching out for help is not accepting failure, it's reaffirming strength. AA is not for failures, it's far from that, it's full of people who have the courage to admit they have a problem and the strength to ask for support with getting through it.

Why do you think these supports exist? What do you think of the people who go to AA? What would you say to a friend or another member of this site who had the same struggles as you?

How else do you think you will be able to move on with your life if not by learning from others who can help and advise you? It's time to take some responsibility for yourself and where your life is going, time to be proactive and take control of your life in a positive way.

A counsellor once said this to me: if you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got. It basically means if you really want change then you've got to make it happen, nothing will get better if you just continue in the same patterns as you've always been.

And yes, I have a lot of family in London, so it's nice to visit them now and again. It's a great city :)

Rennie1989
25-11-13, 19:39
I live near London (I did live in London for a few months), going to miss it when I move in two months :(

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 19:41
That's a shame Rennie, I hope that you can settle in happy wherever you're moving to though. I don't think I'd like to live somewhere as big as London myself, I dream about being in a peaceful house in the county someday.

cjemc
25-11-13, 19:45
Yes all my family are in London too, that's why I have anxiety as well I think, having to move up here and leave them all behind:mad:

stuart1980
25-11-13, 19:54
Hi there first time i think am the same as in the condition its a nightmare am pritty much not eating now after getting ill a year and a half ago

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 21:15
Yes all my family are in London too, that's why I have anxiety as well I think, having to move up here and leave them all behind:mad:

I feel anxiety being away from my family too Calum, I miss them a lot, especially this year I've had a hard time I could have done with having some of them around. They're not very far away, but it feels like the other side of the planet when you're having a bad day.

Why did you have to move so far away from them? Was it for work?

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Hi there first time i think am the same as in the condition its a nightmare am pritty much not eating now after getting ill a year and a half ago

Stuart, it might be good to go out into the main forum and create your own post - that way more people will be able to see and offer you advice x

PanchoGoz
25-11-13, 21:36
You have some definite things to work on there Calumcco. You are what you eat!

cjemc
26-11-13, 10:39
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Depression-Mental-Health/What-causes-gagging-or-dry-heaving/show/267785

HoneyLove
26-11-13, 11:04
Calum, what are you doing looking at medical websites? Have you been Googling symptoms and scaring yourself this morinng! :doh:

How are you feeling today? Have you eaten your breakfast yet?

cjemc
26-11-13, 11:09
Haha! On the contrary I find that googling symptoms can give me peace of mind to a certain extent as I know I am not alone with my nervous suffering :D

And my mum isn't home yet so I am having a £1 Rustlers burger and a bottle of water, I have already had a can of Sprite and a cup of tea as well :)

HoneyLove
26-11-13, 11:12
Not an idea start to the day to be honest, espcially for an anxiety sufferer! Is there no breakfast cereal in your house?

cjemc
26-11-13, 11:15
No I don't like cereal to be honest and I don't ever feel overly hungry first thing in the morning.

HoneyLove
26-11-13, 11:16
Hang on, what happened to what you were saying yesterday about starting to take good care of yourself?

cjemc
26-11-13, 11:19
I know, I need to get a grip and start trying to sort my life out but I feel awful again this morning, I don't feel like going far from home and I keep just bursting into tears for no reason and everything feels really scary, I just wish I had something to calm me down.

HoneyLove
26-11-13, 11:22
Remember what I said yesterday about low blood sugar in the morning? Eating something (decent) will solve that, and help you feel much better and more mentally stable.

The caffeine in the tea, and sugar in the Sprite, are not good for you if you're in an anxious state of mind.

What you're eating, or not eating, will have a big impact on your mental state.

It doesn't even have to be about getting a grip and sorting your life out right now - it's just about doing it step by step gently. A good breakfast is a great first step.

cjemc
26-11-13, 11:30
I know Honey Love, you are correct Thank you :)

I am starting to feel a bit hysterical, I wonder should go to A&E and try to get a sedative? When I am out I feel scared and want to retreat home, when I am home I feel claustrophobic. I am crying so badly now you wouldn't believe, everything feels horrendous and everywhere feels spooky and the impending doom I am feeling is off the scale. I have a fear of nearly everything, even the most trivial things that I used to take for granted are now causing me profound distress. I am a pathetic skinny little wimp with no future

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

Quite how I have managed since 2004 is beyond me. But I bet the heavy drinking has unmasked this nervous disorder which may not have risen to prominence had it not been for the effect alcohol has had on my nervous system and brain

HoneyLove
26-11-13, 11:34
Before you consider going anywhere, eat something decent and give it at least 20 minutes to kick in.

As a standard baseline to handle your anxiety problems you've got to at least be looking after yourself a bit first. You won't be able to function properly, mentally or otherwise, if your brain and body don't have fuel. It's like trying to drive a car without any petrol in it.

I doubt that the alcohol has unmasked any nervous disorder, it's more likely that the lifestyle you're living has contributed to how you're feeling. Before you jump to any rare conclusions, look at the obvious first.

jayjoe18
26-11-13, 11:40
Have you been to the doctors yet Calum or do you have an appointment booked?

cjemc
26-11-13, 11:41
Thank you so much, you are so calm and rational, I wish I was :)

I have had a very stressful 3 years since Jan 2011, I haven't told anyone about this yet but I know as well that this has contributed to my terrible nerves and panic disorder.:weep:

HoneyLove
26-11-13, 11:46
Thank you so much, you are so calm and rational, I wish I was :)

I have had a very stressful 3 years since Jan 2011, I haven't told anyone about this yet but I know as well that this has contributed to my terrible nerves and panic disorder.:weep:

I'm sure it has, stress can have quite an effect on us.

Part of stress management is just learning to look after yourself well, it will help you handle the challenges life gives you much better. Of course we can't avoid all stress, but you can learn to deal with it in a healthy way.

cjemc
26-11-13, 11:50
Have you been to the doctors yet Calum or do you have an appointment booked?

Hi JayJoe, I am desperately trying to avoid going to my GP at all costs as I want to beat this myself without the help of meds if at all possible as I have read about some bad side effects they can produce! Also I am supposed to have gone for a GTT which I haven't yet done as I am so anxious and he might refuse to prescribe me anything before I take the GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) But maybe if I had something to calm me down then I could probably go for the GTT.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

I'm sure it has, stress can have quite an effect on us.

Part of stress management is just learning to look after yourself well, it will help you handle the challenges life gives you much better. Of course we can't avoid all stress, but you can learn to deal with it in a healthy way.

That's very true indeed, in the last 10 weeks I have lost my job of 7 years, my Nan has died and I have found out I am almost diabetic. And to be honest that isn't even the worst part of it...

HoneyLove
26-11-13, 11:58
That's very true indeed, in the last 10 weeks I have lost my job of 7 years, my Nan has died and I have found out I am almost diabetic. And to be honest that isn't even the worst part of it...

I'm sorry you lost your Nan, and your job, that's got to be tough. Have you considered counselling to help you through things?

Seriously, you found out you're nearly diabetic and you're still drinking Sprite for breakfast?

cjemc
26-11-13, 12:02
I know, I seem to have a terrible thirst upon wakening in the mornings and a Sprite seems to make me feel a lot less thirsty but I suppose I should try and substitute it for water if possible, or orange juice.

Counselling could be an advantage I suppose, what do they tell you at counselling then?:) Do you have any experience of counselling?

jayjoe18
26-11-13, 12:04
Hi JayJoe, I am desperately trying to avoid going to my GP at all costs as I want to beat this myself without the help of meds if at all possible as I have read about some bad side effects they can produce! Also I am supposed to have gone for a GTT which I haven't yet done as I am so anxious and he might refuse to prescribe me anything before I take the GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) But maybe if I had something to calm me down then I could probably go for the GTT.

What about going to your GP for something like Diazepam to take so you can go and get your glucose test done? It's only an as and when needed tablet to help anxiety, not like the SSRI.

I know I feel better tackling one thing at a time, so if you get the test sorted first and then take it from there with the anxiety.

Only you and your GP will know what is best for you, but what I will say is please don't waste time like I did worrying about SSRI side effects. I spent years prolonging my anxiety and making things 10x worse because I was so afraid to take anything. I'm on week 4 now of my first SSRI and it's going really well as far as side effects are concerned.

Remember more people are likely to come online and write their horror stories than write positive ones, the people with positive stories to tell are the ones who are off living again and don't have time to come back to share their success stories. Plus, SSRI's are given out many of times to people who don't really need them, I think this contributes to the many horror stories you read, people who don't have faulty brain chemicals in the first place are bound to feel terrible by taking drugs to alter brain chemistry that don't even need to be changed. Shame therapy isn't readily available for these people.

HoneyLove
26-11-13, 12:06
Yes I've been to different therapists over the years and I find it really helpful, especially when you're going through a difficult time. I sometimes see a woman who does Neurolinguistic Programming and Adlerian Therapy, and I love the sessions with her - I wish I could see her more often, our talks are always helpful and focused on finding solutions rather than just talking about feelings.

Technically they don't exactly tell you anything at counselling, it's more about learning to deal with your problems and having someone help you explore your self and your life.

cjemc
28-11-13, 11:30
What about going to your GP for something like Diazepam to take so you can go and get your glucose test done? It's only an as and when needed tablet to help anxiety, not like the SSRI.

I know I feel better tackling one thing at a time, so if you get the test sorted first and then take it from there with the anxiety.

Only you and your GP will know what is best for you, but what I will say is please don't waste time like I did worrying about SSRI side effects. I spent years prolonging my anxiety and making things 10x worse because I was so afraid to take anything. I'm on week 4 now of my first SSRI and it's going really well as far as side effects are concerned.

Remember more people are likely to come online and write their horror stories than write positive ones, the people with positive stories to tell are the ones who are off living again and don't have time to come back to share their success stories. Plus, SSRI's are given out many of times to people who don't really need them, I think this contributes to the many horror stories you read, people who don't have faulty brain chemicals in the first place are bound to feel terrible by taking drugs to alter brain chemistry that don't even need to be changed. Shame therapy isn't readily available for these people.

What is Diazepam and have you ever taken it? Does it help you feel more relaxed?

jayjoe18
28-11-13, 12:05
Yes it helps you relax, I haven't taken it personally but I know about those types of meds (there's a few different ones) It's classed as a benzodiazepine which are sedatives/tranquilizers that relieve anxiety. They are fast working (think you feel the effects in about 30 mins or so - not exactly sure as I've never taken them) whereas the SSRIs are daily meds that take 4-6 weeks to start working. The SSRIs are long term meds to control anxiety and the benzo are short term used only as and when needed. You can't use them long term as they become addictive but they are helpful when you have extreme anxiety (people take them if they are scared of flying/dentist or when taking driving tests etc).

cjemc
28-11-13, 12:44
What are the side effects if any?

Having a bad day again, nowhere to go and nothing to do, my Mum is abroad and I am in the house on my own, I don't feel I am coping very well, I am scared that something terrible might happen to her overseas and I worry in case anything happens to me and there is no-one here to look out for me...

PanchoGoz
28-11-13, 14:10
See it a different way, you have the house to yourself you can do whatever you want! You're boss. I hope you are trying to improve your diet and habits?
Don't bother with side effects, you will only notice them if we tell you what they are, and don't look them up either. The doctor will tell you all you need to know.

cjemc
28-11-13, 14:16
See it a different way, you have the house to yourself you can do whatever you want! You're boss. I hope you are trying to improve your diet and habits?
Don't bother with side effects, you will only notice them if we tell you what they are, and don't look them up either. The doctor will tell you all you need to know.

Hi PanchoGoz, maybe you can help me with my current health anxiety issue? Its on the Health Anxiety Forum :)

PanchoGoz
28-11-13, 16:28
I think someone else is helping you with that. What about your diet though...any thoughts on how a change could help you? I hope you are not drinking every evening still or at the very least trying to drink less?

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

Hmm hard keeing up with this thread it's getting to be a whopper! I like the idea of you maybe trying a session or two at the AA? I understand it may be too difficult to stop completely.
And I'm not sure if the doctor offered you any treatment or therapy? He should have given you some option or asked for a repeat visit. I don't think I can find the post you mention it sorry...

jayjoe18
28-11-13, 17:12
I don't know about the side effects Calum but like Pancho said it's best not to get too hung up on the side effects, every medication out there has side effects, even stuff like paracetamol. I doubt they would (if any) be anything major, like I said though they are used a lot on people who don't even have anxiety disorders so I'm sure you'd be fine :)

cjemc
28-11-13, 19:24
Watching Emmerdale now and having a few cans of Holsten Pils (sugar free) thus trying to lower my sugar levels, not feeling too bad, thank you PanchoGoz and JayJoe 18 for all your support, I really really appreciate it X

patt
29-11-13, 18:11
I am new in the forum and I suffer anxiety disorder since I was 20 (now I am 29).
I wish to tell you that with the right medication and como support of people you love you can pass through this situation.
Another thing you need to think about is to consider your self confidence as the starting point to the cure.
All together, professional help, people you love and specially yourself can be the way to be better.