PDA

View Full Version : Let's pull together & combat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) & The Dark Months....

Tessar
23-11-13, 21:00
Hi all ...... I'm so rubbish at this time of year ..... each time October approaches & the clocks change..... I tell myself "It'll be different this year ..... I'm going to be organised & wont let the dark evenings & gloomy weather drag me down". But then just a few weeks down the line ..... I start sinking & feel like I need a kick up the backside.

I need that kick because I know exactly what to do to stop this happening but the dark nights catch up with me no matter how fast I try to run. I am teetering on the edge of that pit & I really do not want to fall in. I don't want to waste the next few months sitting around & then feel bad about giving in. But I feel so tired. I'm lacking motivation. Everything seems like such a huge effort & just when I need it my energy is deserting me.

I could write a book on the matter. I've read so much about Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) but that isn't enough because it's the "doing it" that matters. No amount of knowledge is any use at all without the will to apply yourself.

I wondered if that's where we could all help each other .... provide encouragement, motivation, suggest tips ..... check in to see how we are all doing .... to see if we are succeeding in "doing things that will help" instead of just slowly slipping into the darkness.

I could so do with some help & I'd really like to help others as well so I wondered if you might be up for a bit of teamwork?? :flowers:

lizzie29
23-11-13, 21:02
Definitely! I don't think it hits me as hard as it does you from how it sounds, but I certainly notice a difference. I've been more edgy, more down, and more tired. It's horrible. And when the weather's bad it's even worse. I just try to keep busy, so that I don't have time to dwell too much. X

Oh and on the days where the weather's nice, try to get a little fresh air and exercise.

Do you have any hobbies that aren't weather / daylight dependant? I like baking and do a bit of knitting, so they're good to do in the evenings and give you something to aim for. Also, focussing on little "projects" can be exciting!

Tessar
23-11-13, 21:20
Hi lizzie.... Good to have you on board!!! Well, I do like walking. Thurs & Friday I did long walks as I had the time. I do try to walk for at least an hour a day even if the weather is rubbish. But today it was sunny & I didn't bother going out. It's like my lethargy gets the better if me & I just can't seem to go out. Daft really as I always enjoy my walks.

I think that having little projects and keeping busy is the answer. That's what I mean about knowing what to do but not doing it. Also though I can be too hard on myself as well. I guess it's about defunding a happy medium. Indoor hobbies? Well, I do play the piano but it's as if sometimes I forget its there. Maybe I need daily tasks like 10mins piano playing. Ok so I shall put my thinking cap on. Thanks!!!!

Annie0904
23-11-13, 21:58
I am always worse on the winter months, more lethargic and lack of motivation. I also don't think I eat so healthy in the winter as I do in the summer.
I have SAD lamp but need to remember to use it :doh:

Tessar
23-11-13, 22:05
We need a pact Annie..... I will if you will ???????

PanchoGoz
23-11-13, 22:10
I'm in! I feel like I'm teetering on the edge of that pit too. The cold isn't helping, getting up and about is a right drag when I could be in bed with a hot water bottle. I'd be interested if anyone has got results from vitimin D.

Tessar
23-11-13, 22:21
Yay another recruit :welcome: pancho. I need to look & see if the supplements I take for menopause contain Vit D. I do try hard to get out for a walk even on dull days as I know that will help but it doesn't always happen.

lizzie29
23-11-13, 22:49
Tessar, I play the piano too! But don't have time to do much nowadays. I like the idea of 10 mins a day. Or you could find a new piece and set yourself a target of being able to play it by a certain date.

Annie, is the lamp any good? I've often wondered about them. I too eat worse in Winter. In summer it's so easy to eat nice salads and lovely fruit, but in Winter I want more filling things.

Pancho, hope the cold is better soon. Horrible things. Do you have a sore throat? I tend to get them more than anything else, and I have a covonia spray which gets right to the back of your throat and is great stuff!

Annie0904
23-11-13, 23:01
Pancho I went to The Whiskey Experience in Edinburgh...some of that would do your cold good :D
Lizzie, the years that I did remember to use my lamp every day, I am sure I benefited from it...I really must use it again.

fay2013
23-11-13, 23:36
I absolutely hate winter, find it so depressing, and hate the dark too. But I find writing a positive list helps, stick it to the fridge or somewhere visible then you have an aim :) even tiny things such as 'baking xmas biscuits' I find if I feel I've got a 'purpose' things always run a lot smoother for me.

PanchoGoz
23-11-13, 23:50
Nah the cold outside Annie :) I haven't had a cold yet this term! Astonishing!
Yes taking note of the positives helps too. Plus lots of light, I do candles and insense a lot. Fairylights!

AuntieMoosie
24-11-13, 05:17
I'll join up here too please Tessar :)

I don't think I actually suffer from SAD in a clinical way, but what I do know is that I hate the Winter, I always get many more sad days/weeks in the Winter Months.

I too seem to loose my motivation a lot and my energy is always diminished too. I kind of want to take to my bed a lot, just like my hibernating "Mr Hedgehog" !!

I get to feeling "shut in and trapped" too, hate the fact that we have to shut our curtains so early and the daylight is much later coming in the morning.

I do have many indoor hobbies, but once again, seem to lack the motivation to start any, I'm always stuck at just "thinking about it" rather than actually "doing it" !

I have also noticed that my anxiety is worse in the Winter months too. I start to not want to go out and have to really push myself in order to do so.

Tessar thank you for starting this thread, brilliant idea hun :hugs:

Annie0904
24-11-13, 09:31
Auntie Mooosie every winter I say that I wish could hibernate :)

Cjaneb
24-11-13, 09:58
Have you tried a sun lamp ? I've got one recently and I feel like it's helping - it's defo not making me any worse !

Tessar
24-11-13, 14:25
Thanku moosie, I thought about it ages ago but didnt get round to it, then I was sitting there yesterday evening thinking what a rubbish day it'd had because I didn't really do anything.
It's made a difference to me already know determined not to sit about & do nothing.... So today I have done our food shopping and my partner & I have been for a nice walk. I am going to go and write some Xmas cards now. I'm with you and Annie on the hibernation thing.

Fay - you are right about having a purpose, I do lose my way sometimes. Today has been better, so I need to build on that.

Cjaneb... I have a light box but I am not very good at using it, maybe I will put it on in a moment while I am doing my Xmas cards.

Lizzie, the last new bit of music I learned was a few years ago. I seem to have got it into my head that it's too much effort to learn new bits of music, I seem to give up too easily. That's just so negative I know but I feel almost like I somehow can't do it. When I do make the effort to play I always enjoy it. The way we seem to put mental blocks in the way of doing enjoyable things is awful. All part of depression I suppose.
I read somewhere that motivation comes after action.
Such that you need to take action... i.e. make yourself do something & then you enjoy it or overhauls remember or discover how good it is & so then you feel more motivated.
I am the same with food too, wanting more stodgy food than salad in winter. But I do still try to have salad and fruit every day.
I need to start resisting the bad food again, I don't want to be on the slippery slope having done well lately.

Cjaneb
24-11-13, 19:59
I'm going to put mine on and wrap presents. Even ifs it's a placebo effect it didn't cost me much and it can't do any harm

Tessar
24-11-13, 20:16
I had my lamp on for about a couple of hours while I did my Xmas cards.
You are meant to sit very close to it and the light should come into your eyes from above preferably (replicating the way sunlight would come into your eyes).
I am sure any bright light is good though especially the bright light boxes as they really are
BRIGHT!

PanchoGoz
25-11-13, 13:44
I'm on my way to argos to buy an SAD lamp and I have bought vit D. I'm going full out! Will keep you updated on progress.

MrAndy
25-11-13, 13:52
ive just eaten two jam doughnuts,thats kicked sad in the arse for today :D

PanchoGoz
25-11-13, 15:06
Oh wow. This is bright. Wow. It's amazing it's like looking at a little spotty window. Damn I forgot to buy chocolate puds today.

Tessar
25-11-13, 17:20
ive just eaten two jam doughnuts,thats kicked sad in the arse for today :D

we need a LIKE button!!!!

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

Oh wow. This is bright. Wow. It's amazing it's like looking at a little spotty window. Damn I forgot to buy chocolate puds today.

what make is yours? I have mine on now and had it on this morning as well. they are very bright. you do need to sit pretty close remember. also to build it up how long you use it. also don't use it after about 4.00/5.00 in the afternoon unless you want to be more alert in the evening or potentially unable to get to sleep if you use it too late in the evening.....

MrAndy
25-11-13, 17:55
your all going to look like joey essex with the sun lamp things :D

Tessar
25-11-13, 18:06
that's quite funny. I was a bit paranoid about UV light coming off my lamp. luckily my glasses are photochromatic so I know for certain my SAD lamp isn't giving off anything nasty. pity it doesn't make me look a healthy colour......

Annie0904
25-11-13, 19:21
I have this one http://www.britebox.co.uk/

PanchoGoz
25-11-13, 21:41
Can I join the sugar crowd, finally had my melt in the middle choc pud and a glass of gold top milk. That was heaven.
I think I have a Bodi-Tek lamp, it's on offer at the moment in Argos for a really good price. I feel really good this evening whether or not that's related, had the lamp on I reckon 30 to 45 minutes when I posted, I'll try do it earlier in the morning, thanks for the info!
SAD.org says the lamps give off no UV at all because that's not possible :) and my contact lenses have anti uv built in haha.

lizzie29
25-11-13, 22:52
I'm in bed, hungry, but trying to resist, and have just caught up on this thread! Chocolate pudding?! Jealous!

NorthernGeek
26-11-13, 10:51
I've often said to people that I must have 'Inverse SAD' because hot weather & long Summer evenings make me depressed, whilst the Winter has always been my favourite time of year & I especially like it when it starts getting dark by 4pm.

It if wasn't for the horrible problems with depression & anxiety I am having at the moment, usually I would be much more cheerful at this time of year!

Tessar
26-11-13, 22:03
I need to admit .......to totally giving in to my cravings today..... Bought crisps & chocolate on my home (quite a bit :weep:)...... I do wish I hadn't but it was a depressing day & I think i have pmt. typical SAD behaviour. I don't want 2do it again.

Annie0904
26-11-13, 22:07
Don't beat yourself up over it Tessar, we all have to treat ourselves now and again especially after a bad day :hugs:

Tessar
26-11-13, 22:23
I'll try not to, how do I stop myself doing it again... Tat is the question?

lizzie29
26-11-13, 22:52
Would having a sweet fruit help?

PanchoGoz
26-11-13, 23:26
Everyone needs a treat Auntie T, that's not exactly a binge! Remember to let the strings loose, it's too easy to enforce a surplus of control on lots of aspects of your life when you are depressed.

yvonne_uk_98
27-11-13, 01:50
would it be alright I join, I dont suffer from SAD, this time of year can get a little down, due to being 3 years since my dad passed away, and 16 years since my mom.

when I can not go out, I have arts & craft materials in the house. I'm not good at drawing or anything, I find it fun to get out the paints, paper etc... and just have some fun. even when I dont feel motivated.

Tessar
27-11-13, 12:40
hey yvonne..... of course you can join.......... the more the merrier!!! I cant draw things that look realistic but i do sort of doodle. when it comes to xmas i end up doodling on the cards i send out! sometimes i spend hours doing it. kind of theraputic. sorry to hear about this being a sad & reflectful time for you. it might be that you do find this time of year more depressing because of that but no doubt the weather (cold, icy, wet, dark etc) does play it's part in your feelings about this time of year as well. anyway, good to have you here and any more tips you have that help would be much appreciated.

i havent been able to get out for a walk for a day or two & I am starting to get cabin fever!!!! arrrggghhhhh!!!!! tomorrow will be different as i'm out of the office on a trip (flying again) so i will definitely have a walk. that will be very very welcome.

yvonne_uk_98
28-11-13, 23:38
Thank you Tessar, very much appreciated. was thinking of doing some window painting, need acriylic paint, sorry canny spell. plus polly pockets, and some outline of what you want to color in, you draw round what you want to paint, just like tracing paper, only using polly pocket to do the tracing through. its fun doing window painting. means you can peel it off once its dry and stick it to the window. really good.

you use the black color acrilyic paint tube as your pencil to draw the outlines, then color in, the wait until dry and peel off and put it onto the window, it will stick on.

Hope you have blessed walk.

Tessar
29-11-13, 13:19
that sounds rather ingenious yvonne and creative. i gave some of my nieces & nephews christmas themed things like that (but i bought them, i didnt make them). they went down an absolute storm. i did have a good walk yesterday it was very dull though, no sunshine at all but good to be outside. Today i wont have time to walk either but there's always tomorrow isnt there.

PanchoGoz
29-11-13, 21:51
Hello again. I'm just wondering if anyone has a headache with their lamp? I get a bit of one and hope I will get used to it. Maybe it's a side effect that shows it's working.

Tessar
29-11-13, 22:06
I don't usually but must say even tho I have used the lamp in last winters I still have to build up my ok'ness using it. Last weekend I did find it quite dazzling. I prefer to use it with a normal light on in the room & not in an otherwise dark room,

PanchoGoz
29-11-13, 23:15
Yes I've found it good not to use it on it's own too :)

Tessar
02-12-13, 16:31
Last nite i slept for 9 hours solid; could have slept more. A big part of my problem is over-sleeping but its just so hard to get up. Too much sleep isnt good for you... but how do i make myself get up when the alarm goes off? i need to get up 30 mins earlier as it is so i can sit in front of my SAD Lamp.

I forced myself to go for a walk today even tho i didnt feel like i could be bothered. i kinda trudged about for maybe 50 mins. cant say i enjoyed it but i do know moving about was beneficial even if it didnt feel that way. i have had the worst pmt in ages (in terms of depression & lack of motivation, frustration etc). finally i think my body is going to put me out of my misery. i really hope so as physically i feel rubbish.

PanchoGoz
02-12-13, 16:55
9 hours is ok isn't it? I usually have about that. I too have slept a lot this weekend and feel better for it.
And weirdly - I too am having a whopper of a PMT right now! PMT partners! I'm late too. It's one of those ones where I woke up scarily depressed two days ago, as in, oh what's the point kind of depressed, for no reason. Remember it's just hormones, it's not really you. Just think it will be over soon. We can do this winter Tessar, don't lose hope :) Just had an SAD lamp blast.

Tessar
02-12-13, 20:27
Well, things haven't progressed much but at least now I understand why I have felt like what's the point. I was thinking my life needs more purpose & direction but I just couldn't see how that could possibly happen. Don't ever let anyone tell u hormones can't alter your mindset to hopeless levels..... At lunchtime I was in the depths of doom gloom & despondency but tonight I have a more sensible head on & I have chilled. I don't suppose this is linked to SAD but with that going on as well as PMT, it's a hell of a mixture!!!

Hey pancho my pmt partner, I hope you don't feel too bad. Well done for using your lamp. I didn't get up in time. I'll try 2moro but I bet I don't as the prospect of 30 more mins in bed will b more desirable. Tell me to get up.... And maybe I will!!

Annie0904
02-12-13, 21:07
I have never had a headache from my life. Oh dear 2 women with PMT on this thread :D

Tessar
02-12-13, 22:21
That confused me... Did u mean lamp & not life Annie?:doh:

Yah hormonal women!!!!!:scared15::scared15::scared15:

PanchoGoz
02-12-13, 22:50
I've had a few headaches from my life :D
I haven't had a headache last couple of days ago.
It's incredible what hormones can do, just goes to show how passing everything is in life.

pas74
05-12-13, 07:20
Hi - I'd like to join in this one. Don't sleep well at the moment so sat here tucked up with the dog under a duvet. Got to get up and ready. It's so dark, the wind is howling and rain is bouncing off the window. Just want to stay here. Miserable, miserable weather.

Very true that action feeds motivation. I need some enjoyable pursuits for an evening. Something crafty to absorb myself with and maybe one of these light boxes. Have joined a choir which is great when I'm there, it's just getting ready and out of the door that takes the effort. I wish I still had my piano.

Tessar
05-12-13, 08:52
hello pas, welcome aboard, thought it would be preferable if you werent plagued with not sleeping well & feeling like staying in bed in the mornings. But when it's such miserable weather. that's brilliant joining a choir. I totally relate to how hard it is to get ready and get out of the door. that takes the effort. Pity about your piano but as you say some kind of craft hobby would be good.

Annie0904
05-12-13, 13:14
That confused me... Did u mean lamp & not life Annie?:doh:

Yah hormonal women!!!!!:scared15::scared15::scared15:

:roflmao: I did mean lamp but life DOES give me a headache sometimes :D

Tessar
05-12-13, 15:16
:roflmao: I did mean lamp but life DOES give me a headache sometimes :D
Haa haa haa. laughter is the bst kind of medicine isnt it!!!!
its soooooooo dark here today. windy too. though must admit i saw a sliver of sunshire earlier when i went for a short walk. anyone else seen the sun today?

anyone else managed to go for walkies today or do anything else to help their SAD?

Annie0904
05-12-13, 15:25
No sun here at all :( I almost got blown away this morning and ended up with the car door blowing shut on my forehead. A little bruise and slight headache.

Tessar
05-12-13, 15:45
i dont recall bashing your head as being very for SAD let alone helpful generally !!!:doh::weep:

PanchoGoz
05-12-13, 16:27
Oh dear Annie, I would sue the wind for compensation!
Very dark here too, thought it was just us! Leaden sky and nasty wind all round.

Tessar
05-12-13, 17:19
that all round wind, pancho, is it inside and out????!!!!:scared15:

pas74
05-12-13, 17:57
Sun came out so I hung washing out. It dried, sort of. Took dog over fields about 3pm. Beautiful sky. So clear ...... but so cold :)

yvonne_uk_98
05-12-13, 18:20
crazy weather here, really windy, some trees fell on the road, then snow, then lovely and calm then it started all over again. all I wanted to do was go home and stay indoors.

had to call my customer this evening to let her know that I can not come round with her order as it is very slippy outside. my customer was alright about it.

Annie0904
05-12-13, 18:45
Pas which part of the country do you live to find some sun today?
Pancho...maybe I should do that, just like Billy Connolly did in the man who sued God :D

pas74
05-12-13, 22:10
Annie, I live in the North East in Co Durham

Annie0904
05-12-13, 22:34
Annie, I live in the North East in Co Durham

So do I but I didn't see any sun here :)

Tessar
05-12-13, 22:34
Goodness Yvonne...... Considering all that the weather threw at u 2day I'm glad your customer was ok about it!!!! Pas u were lucky 2get sum good weather 2day! Amazing.
Annie if u sue and win, can I have a cut of of the pay out coz it got suggested on this thread? Hee hee.

Annie0904
05-12-13, 22:36
Yes I will buy everyone on the thread a new SAD lamp if I win :D

Tessar
05-12-13, 22:38
Nice one!!!

Tessar
06-12-13, 09:33
oh my goodness me, there is a strange thing in the sky.....
THE SUN IS OUT!!!!!!!!
I repeat ..........................
THE SUN IS OUT!!!!!!!!

Rennie1989
06-12-13, 10:41
This may be of interest to you guys:

http://positive-mental-health.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/the-long-winter-nights-can-bring-on.html

My blogsite, and I wrote an entry last night on relieving symptoms during long winter nights.

yvonne_uk_98
06-12-13, 14:42
Tessar, that kind of weather is normal for scotland. we been getting that kind of weather for years. we used to it. though was not keen on the snow. or the icy weather. housebound today.

Tessar & Annie,

you both made me laugh, that was good, hope you do win your claim against the wind. :)

Tessar
06-12-13, 20:26
This may be of interest to you guys:

http://positive-mental-health.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/the-long-winter-nights-can-bring-on.html

My blogsite, and I wrote an entry last night on relieving symptoms during long winter nights.

Your info is extremely valid Rennie thanku for the link :-) ::secret:
It's worth a look everyone :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

A bit of humour to raise your spirits on this dark evening ......
How do you make an apple puff? Chase it round the garden :roflmao::roflmao:

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Glad we made u laugh Yvonne that's the spirit. Did u manage 2get out al all 2day?

yvonne_uk_98
07-12-13, 16:39
Tessar,

stay in all day yesterday. had good day today. would be good if could stay awake though.

Rennie,

yes your blog is a very good read. thank you for sharing.

PanchoGoz
07-12-13, 17:08
Slept 10 hours last night oops! Going off my food a bit, guess my body is fed up with the fatty snacks. Staying in all day today too to do work, quite enjoying it.

Tessar
10-12-13, 22:05
Hello fellow SAD-ettes. How re u all? It's hard going at the moment, sluggish, very very sluggish. But I got stuck into my work today, avoided eating chocolates somehow. Got rancid heart burn now from to to soup. I never realised it could do that it apparently tommies have alot of acid in them. I feel sooooo tired. Did have an hour's walk at lunchtime, this time last year I struggled to stay out 5 mins so that's a good comparison. Did I mention my heartburn? Oh I think it's also coz I took my meds & supplements when I was full. Bad, bad idea. I have made the same mistake before and paid for it for about an hour, why don't we learn???.?.

Annie0904
10-12-13, 22:11
Did someone mention chocolates :D Oh dear I had a box of mint chocolates for Christmas day...I will emphasise the HAD :doh: I seem to have eaten most of them tonight while watching the football :noangel: They were much more enjoyable than Man united :D

PanchoGoz
10-12-13, 22:14
I didn't know you couldn't take things when you are full Tessar! I'll remember that.
I have been off my food a few days and not wanted anything in the house so resorted to junk like pizza, mcdonals, stir fry. Have tried to buy some nice healthy things today like fish. Feeling quite hyper!

pas74
11-12-13, 05:37
Tessar, Toto soup isn't very kind to me either!

Don't think I've got into this combatting dark nights yet. Have become very sloth like, lethargy rules. Having said that last night took the dog for a walk about 8pm which I quite enjoyed and baked a Christmas cake although it had more than a touch of the King Alfred's about it :shrug:

Tessar
11-12-13, 14:51
Oops, pas, Toto soup!! oh no, another typo, maybe you realised it should have read tomato. At least you are trying to get into combatting dark nights! I do like your use of "sloth like"..... that made me chuckle. You did well, not only taking the dog for a walk (& enjoying it) & baking too.... You did well (the cake will taste nice I am sure).
Pancho: You need to eat properly; no wonder you are hyper; all that crap wont help you feel good at any time of year but especially now! All that horrible grease..... noooooooooo. C'mon.... u need summat healthy!
Annie: You HAD some chocolates..... hmmmmmnnn!!!! Now you'll have to risk buying more & hoping they last til the 25th.
I've had an hour's walk again today. Sort of trudging about but at least i am moving & outside, that has to be something! Do you think you burn more calories when you feel tired but walk anyway .... since you have to really fight to do it? (as opposed to when you are full of energy & its easy)?

pas74
13-12-13, 07:59
Oops, pas, Toto soup!! oh no, another typo, maybe you realised it should have read tomato. At least you are trying to get into combatting dark nights! I do like your use of "sloth like"..... that made me chuckle. You did well, not only taking the dog for a walk (& enjoying it) & baking too.... You did well (the cake will taste nice I am sure).

Tessar - the cake wasn't too bad once I'd chipped through charred outside :D Tomorrow I shall try again. Pleased you're getting out for a walk it's such an effort isn't it? Haven't opened the curtains yet but know we're still in the gloom.

Daughter home from Uni this weekend :) Christmas tree going up tomorrow :) and I'm off to watch the local football team tonight :huh: Not usually my thing but it beats sitting in on your own again.

Have a good day

Tessar
13-12-13, 15:10
good on you pas; getting out there.... it does make all the difference. and baking as well. at least you could rescue some of the cake!!!! you'll have to let me know how attempt No.2 goes. I havent baked in years.
I went to the post office at lunchtime; sent off some pressies. no walk today as not enough time but hopeuflly i'll get one tomorrow. i need to start using my lamp in the week.... but getting out of bed early is impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!:lac::lac::lac::lac::lac::la c:

Tessar
21-12-13, 21:10
**** SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ****

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT's THE SHORTEST DAY
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie0904
21-12-13, 21:12
and after today the nights start to get lighter again!! :yahoo:

Shake
22-12-13, 12:08
This seems like a great thread, I have been feeling bad with all this weather, I do have a SAD light in the bedroom and have been using it today

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Yayyy for the lighter nights :)

Tessar
31-12-13, 18:21
Hey everyone.....how are you all doing?

Even if it doesn't feel like it, At least the days are getting longer.

So, in terms of fighting "SAD" I have tried hard to walk every day. It does make a difference if you see the light of day or breath some fresh air.

I have had my SAD lamp on quite alot, ok I know I could get up early to stick It on. Maybe I need to see if I can draaaag myself out if bed when the alarm goes off instead of snuggling under the duvet til the last possible second to make it to work on time , I am always a few mins late.... Bad person....

I would like to change This. How am I going to achieve that??
Every day I repeat the same pattern but I don't want to,
Maybe someone needs to order me to do it?

PanchoGoz
31-12-13, 18:51
I can't help, snuggling under the duvet is just too lovely! Sorry!

Tessar
31-12-13, 22:36
Time for duvet snuggling to begin, back in a few hours......

yvonne_uk_98
08-01-14, 14:50
Tessar,

have you ever put the heating on a timer, it comes on in the morning before you get up, so that the house is lovely and warm, that you wont mind getting up that bit earlier. only a suggestion, (only works if you got gas central heating.)

Tessar
10-01-14, 19:38
Ah, we tend to leave ours on all the time, lower at nite & then when we r up & about we turn it up. We've been known to get up briefly to turn it up then go back to bed while it warms up.

I am trying so hard to survive the dark months. It's really not easy. Today seemed really hard but I managed to get through work. There was a point first thing when it went thro my head to call in sick. But I prefer to work through it when I am feeling emotional because I know that is the best option. Anyway, soon it will be spring & that is what I keep telling myself. Of case I wish I didn't get like this over winter, but I do. So I have to make the most of it.

Annie0904
10-01-14, 19:50
I want to be a bear and hibernate :(

Annie0904
10-01-14, 19:53

Tessar
10-01-14, 21:04
Love the picture. Hibernation sounds good too :-)

Annie0904
10-01-14, 21:12
I am snug in my bed with my heated lavender wheat bag ready to hibernate.

Tessar
11-01-14, 07:38
:hugs: :hugs:

pas74
16-01-14, 07:48
I'm loving how the nights are pulling out now, it's great to see and hear the birds when I'm out with the dog. But oh these mornings. They're so dark and gloomy and take ages to begin to get light.

I have decided to buy something colourful to wear. Probably a scarf to give me a bit of ooomph!! Fed up with black, grey and navy :) I also treated myself to a pot of hyacinths, half price, a bargain. :-D

PanchoGoz
16-01-14, 11:27
Went to lecture, now back in bed. You win SAD...

Annie0904
21-01-14, 18:02
Well I have to say I am really fed up with these horrible dark, dull, cold days :(

Tessar
21-01-14, 20:00
Hang in there gang it went be long and it will be
S P R I N G

Annie0904
21-01-14, 20:02
I hope it comes soon!!

Annie0904
14-02-14, 18:25
I am fed up with this weather. Today has been so dark and dreary :(

PanchoGoz
14-02-14, 18:35
Weather is meant to ease soon the website says?

Annie0904
14-02-14, 18:43
I hope so, mind you, I am complaining but some people have it so much worse at the moment.

Tessar
14-02-14, 19:32
Velly velly windy here today (& not that's not my internal wind) it's Mother Nature!

Annie0904
14-02-14, 19:43
Let the wind blow free where ever you may be...in church or chapel let it rattle :D

Tessar
14-02-14, 19:46
:roflmao: actually there has been a bit of localised indoor wind since my last post!

MrAndy
14-02-14, 19:49
Sunday is supposed to be a nice sunny day,get out and enjoy it folks

Annie0904
14-02-14, 19:51
I hope you are right MrAndy :)

ElizabethJane
14-02-14, 22:36
Gale force winds, rain wet and dark all day. Windscreen wipers on going to work and home. Headlights on. EJ

Tessar
14-02-14, 23:05
Very windy here. Some quite scary gusts but all is ok. Mother Nature is amazing u have to say ... Even if she does (excuse the pun) "put the wind up you"msometimes.

Tessar
11-03-14, 21:56
Spring will be here soon, the clocks will change and can be happy again :-)

Annie0904
11-03-14, 21:57
Spring is here because the lambs are in the field at the bottom of my garden :) I love to watch them play. It has been sunny today to :)

yvonne_uk_98
12-03-14, 18:05
its almost new year for me, as our new year starts in spring, when new young life. when everyone elses new year was in the dead of winter.

it wont belong now, looking forward to it.

Tessar
17-10-15, 15:28
hi all. i can feel the winter SAD business creeping up on me.
need to get something in place to stop this happening.
the last couple of days have been so dreary.

Annie0904
17-10-15, 15:47
I agree totally :( It was so dull and dark this morning when I woke up and my anxiety levels have been up today and I am now hiding in bed :(

Tessar
17-10-15, 16:01
oh no annie! that's not so good. its the weather i am sure of it. til the last couple of days i've been ok. its been a not so good week - i have had extra things to do & had a 'situation' last weekend that stressed me out a lot. i am armed with so much more strength now than i used to have. hping this is going to make a difference this year.
IS IT TIME TO GET THE SAD LAMPS OUT?

Carnation
17-10-15, 16:58
Don't you mean the 'HAPPY' Lamps? :D

Annie0904
17-10-15, 17:18
Yes deffo time for the lamps! I dragged myself back out of bed and have just been for a brisk walk as the sun finally appeared.

Tessar
17-10-15, 21:13
is that the sun shining on the righteous?

Annie0904
17-10-15, 21:44
is that the sun shining on the righteous?

of course :noangel::noangel:

blue moon
17-10-15, 23:43
Spring is here,feels like summer the magpies are attacking,but a beautiful day:D

23tana
18-10-15, 02:08
Hi. May I join in? I don't work and find motivating myself to do anything when it's cold, dark and wet outside is virtually impossible. Yet I know I'll feel better if I do something and can say I've achieved something that day.

MyNameIsTerry
18-10-15, 05:57
Welcome back Tessar. :hugs:

I was reading an article about sleep cycles a while back and it was talking about how we sleep in blocks of time. If you wake during one of these blocks you suffer for it. It also mentioned the minimum number of sleep cycles needed a night and how when we oversleep we often feel dog rough because we are waking during a block. It was interesting and it mentioned when this happens just get outside in the bright light as it has an impact on the area of the brain affected by this.

Getting up and getting on definately seems to help wake the body up. Getting out in the air is a good one, just going for a walk. If I have a day indoors I'm knackered all day, more so than if I get outside and get on with things.

Due to my sleep pattern issues I rarely see any sun thesedays as I sleep during the day and I can tell you, I have suffered a lot more fatigue than I used to and it all ties in with my sleep pattern slipping more towards being awake during darkness.

swgrl09
18-10-15, 22:38
Yvonne just sent me this thread. I wonder if I have a seasonal component to my depression. I have been struggling with energy and motivation, isolation, etc. We just had our first snowflakes today as well. I will take the time to read all of your suggestions.

Thanks for this information!

SADnomore
19-10-15, 01:58
Hi, all ...

I am currently upping my med for the winter. Taking it slow, probably about 2 weeks behind where I was with it last year, (ven at 112 mg) but, as it is still almost 7 pm before it gets dark I figure I may as well wait until the end of the month to do the next increase.

The pharmacist was telling me that he has established that people really do respond to the SAD light/lamp, and that right about now is the time to start with those, as well, for best results. There is an alarm clock/SAD lamp that slowly begins to approximate dawn, and dusk, and you set it according to your preferred wake and sleep times. Which would be a huge, huge boon for those of us who need to get up for work or such by 7 or 8 am, since it can stay dark until 9:30 am, depending on where you are. Where I live I swear that mid-winter it can be 10 am before it is light enough to see where you're going outside :mad: And dark again by 4 pm. That is when it is nearly impossible to get out and socialize, especially considering it is -40 C, plus wind chill :weep:

They didn't seem to have intentions of ordering them into my local health food store before winter set in. I will go and talk to them again ...

Any additional suggestions would be very much appreciated!! xx
Marie

swgrl09
19-10-15, 02:02
I've never tried a SAD lamp, but I do struggle in the morning so that one you are talking about sounds helpful. What brands do people have? Only issue might be that I wake up earlier than my husband for work.

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-15, 05:09
I'm sure Marie can give you some greats tips about vitamin D, swgrl09. She has a thread on the Natural Remedies board about SAMe that talks about some of this and there is one by someone else about vitamin D that Marie has heavily contributed things to.

The only issue with SAD lamps is they can start off manic episodes in people who already have manic conditions. Otherwise, they seem to be safe but you have to look for a certain minimum number of lumens or they don't work at all and I seem to recall, some being marketed that were lower than this.

Your husband will be waking up bright eyed & bushy tailed :winks: (but don't worry because you have to be within a certain short distance for them to even work so I guess it's just that it might wake him up if the room is lit up a bit more)

swgrl09
19-10-15, 16:33
Interesting, thanks for the info Terry. I'll try to find the vitamin D threads.

He can handle it if he wakes up I suppose :D

GingerFish
20-10-15, 09:37
This time last year I preferred the winter and my anxiety was worse during the day but it's reversed this year and now I dread night time. As soon as the sun starts to set, my anxiety goes through the roof and I feel really down. I was like this a few winters ago too. Every year I seem to vary.

swgrl09
26-10-15, 11:07
Been struggling along the past week or so. I am dreading getting up and going to work every day. At work, I don't have the energy to fully dedicate myself to my job. I am feeling burnt out at work and just want to stay home and hibernate.

Anybody feeling teh same?