PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking effects on HA and depression

Mrs Anxious
24-11-13, 11:10
Hi all,

I have quit smoking 25 days ago ( not that I'm counting!) through cold turkey, the main reason was because every twinge and pain I got I would be convinced this is the start of some horrible smoking related illness.
I have struggled and battled throughout the whole 25 days I have had hardly any anxious episodes or panic attacks and I've been able to sleep better however literally since yesterday I cannot stop crying... I feel utterly depressed can't get out of bed I cried myself to sleep last night and when I woke this morning I burst into tears.

My family are trying to be supportive but I can't explain how I feel I went out in the car last night and just sat there in the car thinking horrible thoughts about suicide etc... This is not me at all as I have severe HA and I don't want to die at all :(( these thoughts have scared me I am close to getting some cigarettes even tho I don't want them just to take this depressed feeling away.

Christmas is coming and I don't want to ruin it for my husband and children, I don't want to take anti depressants I have been down that road and I have only come off of citalopram on the 1st September 2013 and that was a struggle in itself.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can combat this or has anyone gone through anything similar? I am starting to wonder maybe I am one of the few that just can't give up cigarettes which is a shame cos I don't really want one even tho mentally I have struggled.

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this

Thanks xxx

Tanner40
24-11-13, 13:28
Congratulations on 25 days of not smoking. I would love to quit myself, as my HA is wrapped up in smoking related diseases. Try to think of the wonderful accomplishment that you have made. Quitting smoking can certainly be stress inducing.

Fishmanpa
24-11-13, 15:26
Would really appreciate any thoughts on this

My thoughts on smoking, drinking and HA:

I first want to say congratulations on quitting Mrs. Anxious! That's a huge plus. I'm sorry the side effects of nicotine withdraw are affecting you as they are. Keep in mind you've done a wonderful thing for yourself and your family! The first few weeks of nicotine withdraw are the toughest and your very close to getting over the hump. Keep up the fight, you're doing great!

This is one aspect of the HA malady that has me totally baffled. I was a smoker for 35 years (cigarettes, pipe and cigars). I knew the consequences just as you do but I still smoked. Nicotine is a very addictive drug. I would say it's on par with heroin in it's severity of addiction. Coming off nicotine, especially cold turkey is stressful as I've done it dozens of times in my attempts to quit through the years.

The last 6 years I've been a cigar smoker. Middleton's Black and Mild were my addiction along with a good quality "stogie" like a Partegas along with a brandy on Sundays during Football season here in the US ;) However, I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma (oropharyngeal) last year about this time (the 21st of Nov.). Soon afterwards came surgeries to remove my palatine tonsils along with biopsies, followed by more surgeries to remove my lingual tonsils, more biopsies and a neck dissection to remove the tumors along with 24 additional lymph nodes. Guess what? I had no choice but to quit smoking. It wasn't as hard as I thought as I used e-cigs (vaping) to cut down the amount of nicotine I was getting until I reached zero.

I had no choice in the matter. The facts didn't lie. Those that continue to smoke after treatment had a 40% less chance of survival and I know of one woman that didn't quit and she's no longer with us.

I see posts everyday pertaining to lung cancer fears, oral cancer fears and a myriad of other ailments. Many of the posters are admitted smokers and this makes absolutely no sense to me. You'll work yourself up into a state, go to doctors and hospitals getting tested yet you still smoke? I would think that the fear alone (which is unbelievably real and intense) would make you flush them down the toilet and run in fear when someone lights up near you!

The same thing goes for drinking. Alcohol is a depressant and HA and other anxiety ailments can and do cause depression. Why would you drink if it causes you to become more anxious or depressed? And the biggest "X" is drinking along with meds. That's a HUGE no no.

HA and other anxiety illnesses are real and debilitating illnesses that require treatment. With HA, your fear of illness can be lessened by behaviors that help you to feel healthy. Not smoking or drinking will do just that. Again, I'm truly baffled by those that suffer HA and continue to smoke or drink.

I'm curious as to the mindset of those that continue these behaviors.

Positive thoughts

princesspanic78
24-11-13, 17:23
25 days smoke free is great, if you are feeling depressed see your GP rather than going back to smoking as its unlikely that the depression is caused by the lack of them at this point, you will be past the withdrawal which is the worst part.

Best wishes. I'm 4 days smoke free now, not easy but is worth it x

HyPoCon
25-11-13, 07:26
Wow 25 days, very impressive, I have tried and can not last more than three days.

I did last 4 months one time, and that was by having a lollypop instead, gave me something to do with my hands, and do some exercise, enough to get your heart rate up, when I quit I was going to the gym each day, obviously it is impractical for a lot of people, but a brisk walk works wonders.

:)

Cammy
25-11-13, 13:02
Please don't do it! It will pass, I've been quit two months now and you will start to feel better!!!