PDA

View Full Version : Another social event survived

jo-jo
14-07-04, 10:51
Hi there folks

As many of you know I recently got married in Las Vagas and on Sunday hubby Steve and I threw a party back home for our family and friends.

Have to admit I had the wobbles about it during the week running up to it and then dealt with it in my usual dysfunctional way in the last few days - feeling nothing about it at all; no excitement and no fear (this happens to me sometimes when I can't deal with things very well but I wouldn't say its a good thing - I should have been feeling something about my own wedding party at least!!).

Anyway, I had a bit of bad news running up to the day when I found out that the younger of my 2 brothers wasn't going to come. He gave some excuse about having a bad knee but I'd had a feeling all along that he wouldn't turn up as we very rarely see each other even though he only lives about 60 miles away. Its not that we don't get on, he just likes to keep himself to himself and if you ask me, I think he's quite the anxious type himself as on the phone he admitted to not liking crowds and said he'd take Steve and I out later in the week. I was really mad for a while but hey, if it is social phobia I should be a bit more understanding -been there, done that etc.

Had to laugh about my mum though, she's suffered anxiety and panic for about 36 years and she was a quivering wreck for days beforehand. Plus it was a real trauma trying to get her kitted out in a suitable outfit, it took 5 different shopping trips as she panics if she's out for too long in any one go. What a pair ;). Plus my sister in law (wife of brother who did come to the do) is also on meds for panic so I decided we could all sit in the 'funny corner' if needed.

Anyway, what a ramble.... the day came and the only thing I can complain about is the b****y weather, it rained and rained and rained some more. But other than that, I'd been at the do about an hour and shock, horror, realised I was starting to enjoy myself :D. This was not expected! I had a touch of anxiety trying to make sure I got round to talk to everyone (I'm not really great with big crowds either) but other than that, it was, well, FANTASTIC!

We got home very late and I started feeling a bit funny lying in bed and said to Steve that it must be delayed anxiety. But on reflection, if the state of my head was anything to go by the next day, I think it was more like too much champagne [:I]

Thanks again everyone for all your support, sorry for going on a bit but I wanted to let you all know that it is possible to survive and even enjoy something that you had previous regarded as a challenge to say the least.

Lots of love Jo xxx

sarah
14-07-04, 12:49
Hiya Jo

Im soooo chuffed for you.
Well done indeed, you have come a long way havent you?

Wow your family sounds just like mine...lol

My sister doesnt like family functions and crowds..it makes her anxious.

My mum has suffered anxiety and panic for about 25 years (although she isnt too bad now) and we had fun shopping for outfits for a cousins wedding a few weeks ago. I was worried about her, she was worried about me and it took us 8 quick trips before we both found clothes...lol

Congratulations once again. I hope this continues for you!!!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Meg
14-07-04, 15:29
Hi Jo,

Many congratulations indeed..

I had to chuckle at your story ...

You and Mum and sis-in-law managed fantastically !

Well Done .

Maybe someone (? Mum) might get round to have a chat with your brother and see whats really going on with him. No point him suffering in silence..when you can all support him.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

nomorepanic
14-07-04, 21:50
Hey Jo

Funny story lol. I can just picture the scene now.

Well done you for doing so well. You say that you were enjoying it too. Don't you find that sometimes when we feel good and forget we have panic that the little monster taps you on the shoulder to remind him that he is there. Well don't let him get you ok.

It is as though we aren't allowed to have a good time isn't it - but you did so well.

I bet the whole day was tiring so that may be while you felt a bit wobbly later on - or the champagne lol.

Well done you
xx

Nicola