PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks while exercising/moving.

Dvorak
24-11-13, 20:01
Hello everyone :)

About a month and a half ago, my panic attacks took a turn for the worst. I went out for a jog on monday evening, and after a while I started sensing the well-known, gnawing feeling of an impending panic attack. My mind ditched reality, and I started thinking about things like: "What if I have a heart attack right now, and no-one finds me (it was around 9PM). Next thing I know -I was badly panicking at this point- my heart rate reaches 201 on my HR monitor, which obviously made things worse. I started doing some breathing exercises, and well, it went away and I made my way home safely.

This lasted for about a week. I would have daily attacks that made my heart reach rates up to 190-200. Of course, each time there was me panicking about things like my gf not picking up her phone while she went to work with her moped on a rainy day, or actually being afraid of having another attack.

At the end of the week I couldn't really cope with it anymore (I have had moderate panic attacks for about a year-and-a-half), so I went to the psychiatrist, who listened attentively to my story and prescribed me Sipralexa.

The thing is ,though, that I haven't been out for a jog ever since, or have done anything that will dramatically increase my heart rate. I do some push ups and dips at home, and occasionally hit the punching bag, but that's it. I really miss sports, since I really enjoyed hitting the gym and playing rugby for hours on end. I'm 21 years old, and had a full cardiac examination back in march. The cardiologist said I was in perfect health, and that I had a weightlifters' heart. My maximum heart rate was 207.

Mind you, when I went jogging at the time, I was out of shape. I'm overweight as well.

I'm currently afraid of having another panic attack where my heart rate will be this high. I'm just so afraid that my heart's going to give out one day, or that it's going to keep accelerating past 207. I could really use some reassuring or opinions on this, as it's impacted my life pretty badly..

Cheers!

star68
24-11-13, 20:12
I get very panicking about exercising and I am monitoring every symptom while doing so. But the mind is a powerful thing and if a symptom I have makes me believe itīs going to trigger something the symptom will continue. If I say to myself "If I have a heart attack then somebody will call and ambulance" then I will begin to feel better. I cannot afford to stop exercising because is what keeps my mind happy so I have to change attitude. Make sure you run in an area that is populated with people and always carry a mobile for safety.
Did you have a stress test? I had one and when I was at my highest the Doctor ask me to hyperventilate on purpose to see how my heart reacted and evidently my heart rate shoot up. We make ourselves ill with our thoughts :scared15:

Dvorak
24-11-13, 20:19
Yeah, I had a stress test. They made me ride a bicycle, and every couple of minutes they would increase the resistance, which made it incredibly hard to maintain a steady pace. They had to stop the test at 207 because my legs were just burning. :P