PDA

View Full Version : Telling people ?

Cjaneb
24-11-13, 20:04
How many people know about your aniexty outside of your partner and close family. I get migraines as well as aniexty (the two are linked) and I've told friends and colleagues about them but not the anxiety. I feel it's a lot harder to explain ! But if I need to get some air or sit down etc I say I might be getting a migraine and not that I am anxious ! Not sure if this helps or not

ankietyjoe
25-11-13, 09:55
Almost everybody I spend any time with knows about mine.

I used to hide it, but then I realised that was a trigger in itself.

It makes it a whole lot easier not having to lie or hide if something happens.

blue moon
25-11-13, 10:11
I have never not hidden or told peopl about my anxieties or fears I am not ashamed to speak,they need to know so maybe they can educate themselves.
Petra:D

Edie
25-11-13, 14:45
I don't really tell people because I am so embarrassed by it. Some things people do notice though, including the fact that I am very shy, they can see this. I am going away with some friends in a few months, and they know I am nervous about being away from home because I can't hide it. But mostly I do not tell people about everything.

Rennie1989
25-11-13, 15:30
My immediate family, husband, some friends and colleagues know. Although I campaign to end the stigma of mental illness even I struggle to tell people I suffer from anxiety. People give their opinions with no regard for my feelings (especially when they don't truly know how I feel) or simply refuse to understand why I let it get to me.

theharvestmouse
25-11-13, 17:10
How many people know about your aniexty outside of your partner and close family. I get migraines as well as aniexty (the two are linked) and I've told friends and colleagues about them but not the anxiety. I feel it's a lot harder to explain ! But if I need to get some air or sit down etc I say I might be getting a migraine and not that I am anxious ! Not sure if this helps or not

Don't assume everyone on here has a partner. Some people are single.

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 18:06
To be honest I don't see the need to tell anyone about it, unless it directly affects them or if they reveal that they're struggling themselves then sharing experiences can help.

It's the same as any health problem, not everyone needs to know about it, only the important people in your life.

ankietyjoe
25-11-13, 18:40
To be honest I don't see the need to tell anyone about it, unless it directly affects them or if they reveal that they're struggling themselves then sharing experiences can help.

It's the same as any health problem, not everyone needs to know about it, only the important people in your life.

Because for me it made it easier. I don't need to leave the room if I start to feel like crap, I don't need to make excuses, they don't keep saying 'are you ok' all the time. It's not like I bang on about it 24/7. I told them, I explained it and it makes things easier.

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 18:50
Because for me it made it easier. I don't need to leave the room if I start to feel like crap, I don't need to make excuses, they don't keep saying 'are you ok' all the time. It's not like I bang on about it 24/7. I told them, I explained it and it makes things easier.

Hang on, I didn't say that you bang on about it nor that you shouldn't tell anyone about it - Cjaneb asked a question and I answered with my own experience and feelings, that's all.

For me it's more anxiety inducing to think of other people being aware of my problem, so when I'm feeling bad I go somewhere I can call someone to talk about it or to work on techniques to cut off panic. I don't see the need to let anyone else know, the same with any other health problem that I want to keep private, that's all I've said.

debs71
25-11-13, 18:57

I agree wholeheartedly, Honey.

I am very selective about who I tell, but not because of embarrassment or shame, etc. but purely because I feel that not everyone needs to know (it's not their business) and frankly, most people just don't get it. I am torn though, as at the same time I also feel 'why should we hide it?' If someone has a physical ailment, nobody bats an eyelid, so why should mental illness be hidden like a dirty secret? It is so unfair.

When I was nursing, I didn't tell anyone about my depression/anxiety. Nobody knew. I once started to tell a manager about it, as she enquired as to why I had had a career break before starting at that particular hospital, but she kind of glazed over and changed the subject, so I just thought 'why bother'?

My close friends know (but not the full extent in all honesty) and the only people who really know the 'Full Monty' are my family.

I prefer it that way, as I think that dealing with MH issues are hard enough without the world and it's Mother and their opinions.:lac:

HoneyLove
25-11-13, 19:06
I agree wholeheartedly, Honey.

I am very selective about who I tell, but not because of embarrassment or shame, etc. but purely because I feel that not everyone needs to know (it's not their business) and frankly, most people just don't get it. I am torn though, as at the same time I also feel 'why should we hide it?' If someone has a physical ailment, nobody bats an eyelid, so why should mental illness be hidden like a dirty secret? It is so unfair.

When I was nursing, I didn't tell anyone about my depression/anxiety. Nobody knew. I once started to tell a manager about it, as she enquired as to why I had had a career break before starting at that particular hospital, but she kind of glazed over and changed the subject, so I just thought 'why bother'?

My close friends know (but not the full extent in all honesty) and the only people who really know the 'Full Monty' are my family.

I prefer it that way, as I think that dealing with MH issues are hard enough without the world and it's Mother and their opinions.:lac:

Exactly my feelings Debs!

Like you I have one or two friends who know roughly about it, but only close family members know the full extent. No one else needs to know! I did tell an old boss of mine, arranged to have a discussion with her about it back when I was having severe problems, and she was understanding - shared her own experiences. It's amazing, when you do open up, how many others have had similar experiences.

dally
25-11-13, 19:15
Only my immediate family know.
And that's only because they see me having panic attacks.
one of them (even witnessing a full blown panic attack)
And who loves me unconditionally, has told me gently to "pull myself together"

So.....with this experience, I would not let an 'outsider' know my anxiety condition and give them the opportunity to offer an opinion or to judge me.

I also do not find it makes life easier, with my family, who do 'understand or at least empathise'. They DO keep saying "are you all right, is it easing off, can I get you anything?
And sort of keep reminding me of the panic and my condition.

also when I'm having a good/normal day, and someone suggests an outing for example,
One of the family will say. Can you face it today?
And this saddens me, cos I might've been feeling normal/good, then I am reminded of my weakness!

Cjaneb
25-11-13, 20:40
Don't assume everyone on here has a partner. Some people are single.

Sorry I meant the people closest or people you live with partner/family/best friends

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

I think I'll carry on as I am and as time goes on see if I think it will benefit me sharing x

Eyji1
25-11-13, 20:52
Accept it, embrace it. It's a part of you. So don't be ashamed.

ankietyjoe
25-11-13, 21:20
Hang on, I didn't say that you bang on about it nor that you shouldn't tell anyone about it

I didn't say you did :shrug:

Word

blue moon
25-11-13, 21:29

Well said:yesyes:

jayjoe18
26-11-13, 11:50
Only family know, I don't really have anyone else now because of the anxiety, but when I did have friends I never told them. I wish I had though as I know they would of been supportive and I wouldn't be this lonely mess I am today!