PDA

View Full Version : self injury

creatrix
08-11-06, 20:24
I learned that I could give blood when I had the urge to do self injury. There is the pain sensation, but more importantly, there is a sense of self worth that comes with it. I haven't cut or any of that stuff since I got over my needle fear (go figure... yes, I see the irony here) and began to give blood.

Might help someone.... :)

Southern_Belle
08-11-06, 21:41
Hi Creatrix,

If I understand you correctly, you have turned your urge to cut to good use and are now giving blood instead? If so, congratulations for turning something that could be so harmful into a lifesaving gift for others. Keep up the good work.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

darkangel
08-11-06, 21:43
As a "recovering" self harmer I find it hard to see how that would work.

Giving blood can only be done at set times and at set places whereas when a self harmer has the urge to get relief - it has to be immediate!!!

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

creatrix
08-11-06, 21:45
Yeah - I lucked out in that the last time I really wanted to cause myself harm, I drove past a big "Donate blood here today!" sign. I just turned in and went for it. But if it's ever an option, I say go for it.

Southern_Belle
08-11-06, 22:17
Hi Creatrix,

I think I misunderstood just a bit, I guess you are still self-harming but when you can you donate blood. Still, you are on a good track to donate blood when you can, but I do hope you try to get some help to stop self-harming as you must know how harmful that is to yourself and your body. Please try to tell your GP and get some counseling. Good luck.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

creatrix
09-11-06, 14:03
Thanks, Southern Belle - But I do seem to have gotten past that point in my life. When I said "the last ime I felt like cutting," i meant the LAST TIME. I have some medications and stuff, but I really have channeled the energy somewhere else. Another thing I did once was a walk for hunger. I was just passing it feeling miserable and though "okay... what the hell." I was wearing the wrong shoes and got some blisters, but because I walked, a hungry family got a much-needed donation from our local supermarket. Another time I dragged myself out to help victims of a recent flood in my area. I did a LOT of heavy lifting and felt great about it after. My lesson was that if I feel like crap about myself, I need to go out and do something that makes me feel better. A bit of physical discomfort is good if it is resulting iin someone being helped, no? :D