PDA

View Full Version : Advice on this please.....

Emma17
25-11-13, 12:32
Lately I have noticed my chest bone - or breast bone has been very achy and occasionally I find it clicks? Also the tops of both my arms, and shoulders do the same.. My HA is in overdrive here and I am not able to see the doctors until the 4th December! I'm worried sick and obviously am thinking the worst - like I have bone cancer or something!!
Does anyone else have this clicking thing? Any advice would help a lot.
Thanks xx

cpe1978
25-11-13, 12:55
The only advice I would give Emma, is that one of the key things that differentiates HA people from normal people is that most people would not assume the worst.

Objectively if you read your post, it sounds just like a normal ache and pain that we all get. For example, at the moment my rib hurts, but I am assuming it is just one of my kids having leapt at me unexpectedly at some point.

I think it is the assumption of the worst which is one of the biggest things that keeps health anxious people locked in a poor position.

However we can't give you any medical advice or reassurance so if you are worried you should go to the GPs.

Emma17
25-11-13, 12:58
I know your right - it's just the clicking thing that's worrying me :( and I've not done anything (that I'm aware of) to strain the chest/shoulders!
I'm sorry - I know the post is wingey - just having a bad day.. I hate this horrible illness!
Xx

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Now have an appointment Thursday morning - so that's good!

cpe1978
25-11-13, 14:08
Are you planning on speaking to them about your anxiety Emma?

Emma17
25-11-13, 14:12
I already have in numerous occasions

cpe1978
25-11-13, 14:14
And what are they doing about it? Sorry I don't mean to be provocative, but the reality is that you have health anxiety which I personally believe is an entirely treatable thing. Certainly I feel a darn sight better today than I did two or three months ago.

To get better, I personally believe everyone needs a plan, a set of weapons that will help us get through.

Emma17
25-11-13, 14:16
I'm waiting for my counselling to come through - like I have for months! Despite the fact I've been pleading for it as as much as I've tried I can't fight this off on my own.. I've tried books, tapes, exercise - everything and I feel like I'm making no progress.

cpe1978
25-11-13, 14:28
Emma I feel for you - the way the NHS treats low level mental health services is terrible, especially when people are in so much distress.

Just a thought but the reality with HA seems to be that in each and every case we need to break the cycle of reassurance. We need to trust doctors and we need to find a way of trusting our bodies again. Our bodies are on red alert, picking up every innocuous sensation and our brains jump to ludicrous conclusions. Somehow we need to rebalance that response.

Furthermore obviously it is possible that anyone of us could get a health conditon. It happens, but very rarely. Somehow we have to be able to live with that uncertainty. I have been paying for CBT and the main thing it has taught me is that often people with anxiety spend 95% of their time focusing on things that can't be controlled and a tiny amount of time thinking about things that can.

Fundamentally our brains our lazy, they will follow our lead. Try and find some stuff that you love doing and force yourself to do it. See if over time it makes you feel a bit better. Celebrat small victories and try and achieve small positive steps which when combined will look like giant leaps when you look back.

Finally - try and use this forum for support around anxiety as there is loads of expertise here. There is virtually no expertise in being able to pass any serious judgement about physical symptoms.