PDA

View Full Version : A little something to consider about HA...

blueangel
25-11-13, 14:02
I don't call in here that often at the moment, but do have a few words of wisdom from an old fart whilst I'm here.

All those of you with HA who are young (under 35, if not under 40), just try and put it on the back burner for a few decades - or even better, learn to manage anxiety whilst you're still young.

Many of the really nasty things that go wrong with our bodies are age-linked and statistically if you are young(er) then your chances of it being something life-limiting are much reduced. One of the really useful things I learnt from CBT was about probabilities, so when a health-related worry appears, think about the following:

* what's the worst that could happen?
* what's the probability of the worst happening?

In many cases, the probability of "the worst" happening is quite low, and if it's related to health, then if you're young, then the numbers game is on your side.

Needless to say, I did get told all this in my 20s and 30s, but at the time it was difficult to believe. What a waste of time that was! All those days/weeks/months spent tormenting myself about things that were statistically probably only slightly more likely than being kicked to death by a donkey.

Just my two pennyworth, as ever, but maybe it will help someone out there.

cpe1978
25-11-13, 14:07
I think that is spot on. People often talk about being in the 1%. Well the reality it is far less than that. For example the chances of a 35 year old dying in the next 12 months is 0.1% or 1 in 1000. Now by the time you filter out lifestyle related deaths, suicide and accidents then you are left with teeny probability. This however should be motivation to live at least reasonably healthily as if you do then the odds of a longish and healthy life are very much in your favour.

pearl79
25-11-13, 14:26
Helpful posts :) xx

Fishmanpa
25-11-13, 16:42
Great Post and words of wisdom!

Positive thoughts!

Tinker28
25-11-13, 16:50
I love this post!