PDA

View Full Version : Another missed family event

Cassis79
25-11-13, 15:35
Hi all,
I am a new member, but unfortunately not new to the misery of panic attacks. I should have been in London on Saturday, spending the day shopping with my sister and meeting up with my brother and my 3 daughters and husband in the evening for dinner. Alas, none of it happened as I could not even get onto the train! Well, I stepped on, just, took a seat but was overwhelmed by my rising panic and the fear of the doors closing and not being able to get off, so I just ran for it and spent the rest of the day hating myself for allowing this irrational fear to dictate/ruin my life. I have had CBT in the past, and it all seems to make sense, but then when I am faced with the situation which causes panic, it all goes out the window. I am desperate not to become like my Aunt, who has been a long time sufferer and basically goes nowhere. I drive, although conditions have to be just right, and unless I am with someone, I generally avoid motorways. I gave up on air travel long ago. I feel my world is getting smaller just at a time when actually I am just beginning to have more freedom and the opportunity to spread my wings, what with my family growing up and going their own ways. Can anyone out there relate to this??

loreen
25-11-13, 16:38
hello

Yes I can relate to everything you say. My family are growing up,but like you, my world is smaller than I want to admit.

I have missed school assemblies and prize giving events because of my fear of being in a confined space,with lots of people blocking my exit.That makes me feel like the worst Mum in the world. My teenagers now understand,but my autistic 10 year old does not.

I too have had CBT, and yes it all makes sense. It is putting it into practice that is the difficult bit!

Just wanted to tell you that you are not alone in this.

Loreen x

dally
25-11-13, 19:31
Yes, my life shrunk, so that I could only go out to a ten mile radius or a five min car journey, if hubby drove.

I had cut which was great, it built up my radius to about 30 miles by car and train journeys on my own.

It was very hard. Each stage of public transport was very scary, but I did it.
Each time I never thought I would be able to go a stage further, but u did.
Then the first stage (that I had thought I would never do) seemed soooo easy.

We all have to keep pushing ourselves xx

Cassis79
25-11-13, 20:34
Thank you for your replies, I will try (again) to defeat this, I am determind not to let it take over, ( I am only 43!) Chances are I will be on this earth for a few more years yet and the thought of never being able to travel alone quite literally fills me with dread. I hope I have some positive news in the future, will keep you posted

bab
25-11-13, 22:17
Im the same hun. Have missed loads and makes me so low. You are nt alone x