PDA

View Full Version : Didn't know where to put this?

ScottyW
25-11-13, 19:49
http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/story/692537.html if anyone here is into cricket then you will know who he is. Great article on a guy who is struggling with stress related illness, he has spoken out and hopefully things like this can give more insight to people who don't know how difficult it can be.

Rennie1989
25-11-13, 20:14
I was talking to my husband about him today. It's such a shame. He must be feeling so awful right now, not just to leave the Ashes but for everybody to know it's stress-related. My thoughts go to him and his family.

phil6
25-11-13, 20:26
I totally agree.... This only helps to reduce further the stigma that still exists. There will be some through ignorance will see this as his weakness, but I have nothing but respect for the guy who must have been going through hell, like all who struggle through this, but going through it the most extreme conditions and under the most intense spotlight. I can only imagine.
A very brave guy.

ScottyW
25-11-13, 20:29
I really admire him for it, it really can happen to anyone and for him to speak out shows bravery and my respect for him has gone up enormously.

theharvestmouse
25-11-13, 20:57
As soon as I heard this this morning I didn't like how it was reported, BBC breakfast news treated it like it was most unusual thing to ever happen to a sportsperson. This happens every day to people and it is still looked upon as something that is an unusual illness.

Hopefully he will get treatment and come through this and i hope that it might change peoples opinions on mental illness.

ScottyW
25-11-13, 21:02
That's what I dislike about the way it's spoken about, needs to start being recognised as an illness and not a weakness. Just because he's an international sportsman doesn't mean he can't have a mental illness.

Rennie1989
25-11-13, 21:13
As soon as I heard this this morning I didn't like how it was reported, BBC breakfast news treated it like it was most unusual thing to ever happen to a sportsperson. This happens every day to people and it is still looked upon as something that is an unusual illness.

Hopefully he will get treatment and come through this and i hope that it might change peoples opinions on mental illness.

And considering that stress is one of the leading causes of sickness at work this really should not come as a shock. Sportsman suffer immense stress, probably more so than the average person, it's not unfamiliar for them to break. I think the reason why people seem shocked is because it is not widely reported. It's only in the news because Trott is a successful cricketer in the middle of one of the biggest English cricket tournaments.

NE21 worrier
25-11-13, 21:37
Absolutely huge fan of the cricket here - obviously disappointed with the result at the weekend - and saddened to hear about Jonathan Trott.

Nevertheless, I am glad that he has undoubtedly done the right thing to remove himself from the stress and give himself the time to clear his head and then work on his issues.

And, sorry, I know this is a blatant plug, but I've written a blog post about Trotty which I hope also gives a little bit of context, in terms of what happened in the recent cricket match: http://theintrepidreporter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/the-ashes-201314-trott-takes-first-step.html

Thanks,
Peter :)

Rennie1989
25-11-13, 21:51
I read your blog and commented :) great blog!

NE21 worrier
25-11-13, 22:09
Cheers for reading and the feedback :)
I've also done a little reply to your point about Warner.

It's not a blog on anxiety specifically at all - most of my wafflings are about football and cricket, or occasionally from the world of media and politics - but this was really too close to hitting all my interests for me not to write something.

Anyway, thanks again, Peter

theharvestmouse
26-11-13, 19:19
Don't know if anyone else was watching BBC breakfast this morning but they had a couple of former sportsmen on talking about depression and anxiety. The cricketer was talking about how he suffers from social anxiety. I didn't catch his name but I'm so glad I saw this because it will hopefully have raised awareness.

NE21 worrier
26-11-13, 19:51
A few cricketers have gone public over the years with mental health issues - Marcus Trescothick and Michael Yardy even left England tours (as Trott has had to do) - but it has emerged that former Durham and England cricketer Steve Harmison has also had problems in the past...

Any of those names ring a bell?

theharvestmouse
27-11-13, 22:42
I found out who it was through a search on google. Iain O'Brien, a New Zeakand cricketer, here is an article about him.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11148994