PDA

View Full Version : Terrified to go to florida

penguin120
26-11-13, 03:50
And not because of flying. I'm quite a frequent flyer, actually.

Anyway, over winter break, right after x-mas, I am flying out to florida with my family.

According to the news, there has been quite an outbreak of flesh eating bacteria. (or necrotizing fasciitis) {i advise you not to google it.}

I am flipping out, feeling as if I am on the verge of a panic attack here–there have been some pretty serious cases of this, even in people who went into the water with a minor scratch. It progresses quickly, most people might not even catch it until it is too late. I don't want to have my leg amputated...! The most recent case was about a month ago, near the area where I am headed.

Do you think it will have cleared up in two months? I don't want this to happen, neither do I want it to happen to any of my family, :weep:

btw, I didn't file this under health anxiety because it seemed a bit different than the usual posts in that thread.

-penguin

times71
26-11-13, 04:27
Hi Penguin.

It's hardly headline news. Surely if it was that series we would all be reading about it. Did know you that on British roads there was 23,039 people who were Seriously Injured. So are you going to keep your family of the road from now on?

The point is unless it was big headline news warning holiday makers to avoid a country then I wouldn't worry and put my life on hold over something you have read in the paper.

I love Florida, you and your family will have a blast. (can I hide in a suitcase and come along) ;)

have fun dude

ScottyW
26-11-13, 07:54
Like Times says it's not exactly huge headline news, I think the chances of it happening to you are pretty small. There will be holidaymakers like yourself going at the same time as you and have probably not even thought about this. I know it's easier said than done as I'm sure we've all worried over certain little things. Wish I was going to Florida!

penguin120
26-11-13, 13:11
Like Times says it's not exactly huge headline news, I think the chances of it happening to you are pretty small. There will be holidaymakers like yourself going at the same time as you and have probably not even thought about this. I know it's easier said than done as I'm sure we've all worried over certain little things. Wish I was going to Florida!

Thank you, feeling a bit better now:yesyes:

Annie0904
26-11-13, 13:33
There are little risks in every thing we do but we can't stay home wrapped in cotton wool. You probably have more chance of having an accident in the home anyway :) Just feel the fear and do it anyway and I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

ScottyW
26-11-13, 13:33
You're welcome! If you need anymore advice then you know where I am.

penguin120
27-11-13, 18:31
There are little risks in every thing we do but we can't stay home wrapped in cotton wool. You probably have more chance of having an accident in the home anyway :) Just feel the fear and do it anyway and I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

thank you so much. :D:D:D

Amandala
28-11-13, 14:29
Hi there :) I live in Florida, and I wanted to help ease your mind that this really isn't that big of an issue. I have many surfer and beach going friends and none of us have gotten this virus or know anyone who has.
Think about it, there have been 30 cases reported. And like the others have said, that is a very small amount when you consider the amount of people in the ocean everyday.
Have a safe trip, enjoy the sunshine and warmth!!! and don't worry about the water :)