PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop myself going downhill again?

Candyknitter
26-11-13, 14:37
Lately I've been feeling myself getting more anxious and withdrawn and I don't know how to stop myself getting worse.
I don't work but do a few courses to get out of the house and basically keep me functioning. I have been on meds in the past, but stopped about a year ago and I really want to keep coping without them.
Just recently I've started feeling anxious and tearful over nothing in particular. I've started avoiding going to one of my courses and even going food shopping unless my husband comes with me. I keep feeling my life doesn't really have a focus at the moment, and I hate that I'm getting older and fatter - but then eat because I'm sad/bored/lonely etc.
I see m to spend so much time worrying that I'm getting "nuttier" that I'm actually making myself worse. I've also started in the last year saying on words aloud from things I'm thinking of and it's really embarrassing. I think that's partly why I don't like going out :(
What can I do? I hate being like this.

Annie0904
26-11-13, 14:56
First of all you are not getting 'nuttier' you are not well and that is a big difference :)
Were the meds that you took in the past helping you? If so then there is no harm in taking them again. If you had to take meds for a heart problem you would continue taking them so why not for anxiety?
I know it isn't easy to go out when you are feeling so anxious and lacking motivation but you must try to do something even if it is a little walk down the street then you can at least say "I have done this today" Some days I could just stay in bed but I kick myself out and make myself go for a walk. It will get better but like any illness it takes time. :hugs::hugs:

Candyknitter
26-11-13, 18:28
Thank you Annie for your reply. My meds would help with the anxiety but I would suddenly have a really painful pins and needles sensation go all over my body at random moments weeks apart. The dr had said I could try different meds but I always get really scared about taking pills instead of side effects. The only reason I went back on the old ones more than once was because I was a complete wreck after my mum died.
I will try and get in the habit of going out more, I am going to start with evening walks as I feel more comfortable walking at night when it's less busy out.

Annie0904
26-11-13, 18:33
Drinking 4-5 cups of chamomile tea each day helps. Other natural remedies are Bach rescue remedy, Lavender oil in the bath or on your pillow, Epsom salts in the bath.

tamo
27-11-13, 00:46
Hiya Kandyknitter .

First of all i,m sorry things crept back in to make you feel unwell .
I am not hijacking your thread but I wanted to say that the same thing has happened to me over a few months ( i want to detail this in another post ) .
I want you to know that your not alone when it comes to relapse , it can happen to many of us . The way I am dealing with it is by knowing there is work to be done , we know we got better before so we must believe that we will get better again whether it is with reintroducing meds or meditation or more CBT or by whatever means we used previously and maybe some new methods .
I find it very helpful to go back to my old posts/threads especially to see what symptoms I described then and compare them with ones I have now . A great sense of relief can be had when we see a very similar symptom then and now and knowing that the old symptom went away , they went away then and they WILL go away now .

Wishing you well :yesyes::yesyes: