PDA

View Full Version : We're too hard on ourselves...

lizzie29
26-11-13, 22:59
We are all here because we have an illness, and we want to take steps to overcome it. On a regular basis, a number of us put ourselves in situations that are extremely hard and exhausting. We keep fighting, facing our fears, trying whatever we can to get better.

And it's so easy to focus on the negatives and any tiny blips we have. We should all be proud of ourselves for admitting we have an illness and trying to do something about it and face it. I know personally I berate myself for being like this - would I do the same if it were a physical illness? I don't think so.

I'm not suggesting we all look for sympathy or adopt a "woe is me" attitude, but from a lot of posts I've read we put a lot of blame on ourselves for being like this. It's not our fault, we haven't done anything to deserve this, and all we can do is keep trying to take positive steps forward.

We're all amazingly strong, courageous people and we should be proud of that :)

lizzie29
27-11-13, 11:43
Hmm I take it noone agrees! LOL!

MrAndy
27-11-13, 11:53
nice post Lizzie ,it is hard to be easy on yourself no idea why ,maybe its the negatives this illness throws up at you.I know I feel extremely guilty with the pressure my illness has put onto my wife and family :(

lizzie29
27-11-13, 13:29
This illness does put pressure on those around us and I too feel guilty about it. Feeling guilty doesn't change anything though, so all we can do is try to to take steps towards getting better. We can't help being like this. As long as we try that's all we can do.

Rennie1989
27-11-13, 13:46
You are so right, Lizzie. We forget that we are humans, and humans make mistakes. Bringing ourselves down because of them has no benefit to us. We should embrace positivity, concentrate on what's right in this world.

Beeble
28-11-13, 22:34
So right.... I am so so hard on myself. Nobody could be meaner to me than I am to myself. I need to be kinder to me, even my GP said that. :huh: