PDA

View Full Version : Blocked nose

MissSunshine
27-11-13, 08:51
I caught a cold of my child a few days ago and I am left with a very blocked nose, it only seems to unblock when standing and at night time it's a lot worse when trying to sleep at time both nostrils are blocked but most times in one or the other, it's been 4 days now and every day I'm expecting to wake up better but yet again today I wake with a blocked nostril!
My mucus is now a yellow/ blood tinged colour and that's scared me.

Read some horrible things online about it being phenomia or turning into it and now I'm freaked out big time :(
I am tempted to use sudafed but heard about horrible side affects..
Any idea exactly what's wrong and ways to help me unblock this stuff nose please ?

x

hheavenlyangel
27-11-13, 09:06
You have a cold... that's whats wrong. You will get a blocked nose and sometimes it can take a few weeks for you to get over it you need to just let it runs its course. I have under developed Eustachian tubes and a deviated septum and my nose is blocked 99% of the time. I use a couple of things, neil med nasal rinse and Nasonex. I take codrol cold and flu to keep the nasal passages open. You will be fine, just give it some time. I hope you feel better soon :( :)

MissSunshine
27-11-13, 09:53
Thank you it must be horrible for you 4 days of this and I've had enough.
I rang my doctor and he has given me anibiotics for suspected sinus infection
Now I'm thinking what if it is just a cold? I have to be on these for 5 days
X

hheavenlyangel
27-11-13, 10:08
:) Don't be surprised that after 5 days it doesn't clear up, sometimes it takes 10 days of antibiotics to clear a sinus infection. I feel so bad for you because I know how horrible they are but you will be fine... its coming into winter over there too yes? That's going to make you feel miserable in itself, its cold, dark and just horrible weather. Depressing... I had 2 bouts of a cold this year 2.... blaaaa You will be fine, just be kind to yourself. Its ok to feel sorry for yourself when your not feeling too well. Snuggle up on the couch under a doona and watch a movie. :) I truly hope you feel better soon. xx

Fishmanpa
27-11-13, 11:30
The old rule of thumb is.. It takes a week to catch a cold, a week to have a cold and a week to get rid of it. Basically, you feel bad for 3 weeks to a month ;)

Feel better and positive thoughts!

HyPoCon
27-11-13, 12:51
I just had a sinus infection after a cold and it took 4-5 weeks to clear up and about 10 days of anti biotics, when I saw blood in my mucus I was terrified but all is good. take care and get well soon :)

MissSunshine
27-11-13, 16:47
Oh no so i'm going to be ill over christmas by the looks of things or still recovering :(

Yes its nearly winter but in the UK winter to me starts in autumn..thats how cold it gets. it does depress me! thank you! :hugs:

I thought i was ok with the cold and i just keep getting worse so had to phone the doctor
positive thoughts yes!! :D
Thanks everyone!