PDA

View Full Version : A little experiment for you today...

skippy66
27-11-13, 10:22
One of the key elements of my recovery from health anxiety was to consistently put myself out of my comfort zone. By doing so, it expands your comfort zone.

This is not as tricky as it seems, as you do things very gradually. Small steps. But you have to start taking action. Everyone's comfort zone will be different - getting out of it could mean going shopping without your emergency diazepam, watching an episode of ER, deliberately exposing yourself to a scary health story on the internet in the knowledge that it doesn't relate to your situation in any way; doing some gentle exercise; taking a trip out in the car.

Your challenge for today is to put yourself briefly out of your comfort zone. How you do this is up to you, but do it and report back to us at the end of the day to tell us what happened.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and none of this should be taken as medical advice. I'm just telling you what worked for me.

Look forward to hearing from you later…BE BRAVE!

Tanner40
27-11-13, 12:56
Wow Skippy, you have read my mind this morning. I was just getting ready to post about a trip I am taking today, way out of my comfort zone. I willmstill make my post, as I intend to update it throughout the day.

My partner and I are driving to Atlanta today for the Thanksgiving holidays. Road trips generally kick up my anxiety level and I create panic attacks for myself. Today, I have made a list of coping mechanisms and put it in my phone, a toolbox for the mind of sorts.

The trip will take 6-8 hours and will go through a stretch of mountains that frighten me. My partner is so excited to see her family and I don't want to put a damper on this trip for her. I am trying to approach this trip with a positive attitude and coping skills.

I will report back and let you all know how it goes.

katesa
27-11-13, 13:02
Great thread skippy!

My comfort zone is chasing tests and I haven't done that for a while now. Guess what, I'm still alive.

And not related to my health anxiety but I went out without my make up today (first time in 10 years - I even put it on when in the hospital to have my son). And nobody screamed.

Tanner, way to go babe! Hope you have a lovely time.

skippy66
27-11-13, 13:38
Kate, thankfully I can't relate to your makeup problem (as I'm a bloke) but well done - small steps is the key as you know.

Tanner, I'm SO JEALOUS - the last few weeks we've been watching The Walking Dead box sets, that was filmed in and around Atlanta. Some of the scenery is absolutely beautiful - I would love to take a road trip around there. As for your anxiety, see the whole thing as a challenge, turn it into a game. When the symptoms bubble up (which the probably will), anticipate them, accept them, say to them "bring it on" and you'll pass this challenge with flying colours. It will also make the next trip all the easier...

Tanner40
27-11-13, 13:47
Thanks Skippy. I lived in Atlanta for 10 years and it is gorgeous. When I watch The Walking Dead, I always am reminded of the beauty of Atlanta and the surrounding country side.
I'm going to accept my challenge today and deal with whatever comes up. Enjoying the trip is only the short term prize.

SarahH
27-11-13, 14:37
I spent the day on hospital yesterday (9am -11pm) whilst my friend underwent some very traumatic treatment!! Hospitals bring on my anxiety....and it did...but I overcame it with no valium:yesyes: Exhausted today...but I DID IT!

skippy66
27-11-13, 20:27
Excellent Sarah. I'm happy for you and you're on the road to recovery

Tanner40
28-11-13, 00:33
Skippy, made it to Atlanta with virtually no panic. Hopefully, I am broadening my comfort zone. The important thing for all of us is to make a plan, face the fear, and do it anyway. I'll say hello to the "walkers" for you.

skippy66
28-11-13, 08:56
Skippy, made it to Atlanta with virtually no panic. Hopefully, I am broadening my comfort zone. The important thing for all of us is to make a plan, face the fear, and do it anyway. I'll say hello to the "walkers" for you.

Exactly. And just imagine if the walkers did rule the earth - I can guarantee that none of us would spend any more time worrying about our health!