PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack at work - feel like im dying...

fedup36
27-11-13, 13:27
Hi All,

Hoping some one could help!

I've been suffering with health anxiety for a year... Ive had my good and bad months but for some reason the past 4 days it seems the anxiety is back with vengeance...

Ive had panic attacks the past 2 evenings lasting all evening rather than short bursts which I am use to! Its been horrible, I sit there shaking and have the most awful dizzy spells...

Whilst Ive been coming to work (trying to carry on as normal as I changed job due to my anxiety) ive started feeling the panic at work to now... Ive had a very stressful morning and I ended up having a 2 hour meeting with my boss... During this meeting I kept getting dizzy and kept feeling weird head pressure come and go.. quite intense at times..

Anyway finished the meeting and when I stood up I felt awful couldn't walk etc... made it back to my desk and I feel vile.. I want to get someone to call an ambulance as I can't figure our if I am panicking or something is actually happening...

I have dizziness, can't see, pressure in my ears and on my face, can't walk and just feel like something awful is going to happen...

If im honest I feel like im dying and can't figure out why the anxiety has come back so strong... I don't even know if this is anxiety...

katesa
27-11-13, 13:35
First of all my darling, you are definitely not dying. Promise!

Second - I think you should tell somebody how poorly you are feeling and maybe go to see your doctor if you can. Not because I think that there is something wrong with you (I don't!) but because these attacks are becoming frequent, very distressing and debilitating. Your doctor should know about this and find a way to help you through it x

fedup36
27-11-13, 13:46
I saw my doctor the other day and the mental health nurse is phoning me tomorrow.. I just can't afford time off work at the moment.. I don't get why its flared up so badly.. I have had MRI's, ECG's, Balance testing etc all which came back normal.. I don't understand how just anxiety can make me feel this ill...

katesa
27-11-13, 13:49
It can and does babe. All those tests won't be wrong.

If you really can't take time off, then all I can advise you is to remember that you are NOT dying, you WILL recover and today WILL end.

Tanner40
27-11-13, 13:50
FedUp, anxiety can and does make me feel that way. Accept the fact that it's anxiety and breathe. Like Kate, I promise you're not going to die. Find something at work to focus on and it will most likely ease up.

fedup36
27-11-13, 14:09
It feels different this time.... I honestly feel awful I just don't know what to do...

katesa
27-11-13, 14:11
Tell somebody at work how you are feeling so they can keep an eye on you.

Other than that your choices are either try to ride it out or ask to leave and either go home and rest or see a doctor.

Either way, you will be ok in the end.

HoneyLove
27-11-13, 14:19
Fedup, my dizzies are at their worst when sitting too, espeically for really long periods of time like a long meeting. It's hard to deal with. I think it's because muscles go into spasm in my neck, face & jaw and make my balance so much worse, when I am sitting for too long.

When do you see your VRT therapist again?

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Also, I meant to say that I get that pressure in my head and face too, especially when sitting or when looking down reading/at my phone/etc. It's horrible, painful and stressfull. I believe it's all connected to my jaw and my posture. Then when I get up after sitting it feels like I'm totally off balance, like I'm walking on a waterbed or one of my legs is longer than the other, it's very disorientating.

It sounds like you've had a really stressful time the last few days, and all the tension for that is going to make you feel a lot dizzier and sicker. Would you be able to take a couple of days off work to give yourself a break?

What position makes you feel a bit better? I know you said lying down made you feel worse?

fedup36
27-11-13, 15:02
Thanks for all your replies.. Ok I am still alive, I really don't feel very well still though...
It keeps coming in like waves, I will be ok for 5mins then bang its there again... I think I will consider taking the next couple of days off and giving myself a break... I am trying to figure out where its all come from as I was doing well and felt like I was dealing better with the anxiety..

HoneyLove
27-11-13, 15:46
Don't overanalyse it too much Fedup, you are going through such a challenging time with the MdDs and it sounds like you're having a hard time at work too.

That's a whole lot of stress to deal with, and it's going to take a toll on you.

The best thing you can do right now is try your hardest to be patient and kind to yourself, and do whatever stress management you can handle. Do things that make you feel better.

Talk to your doc, a few days off work may be good for you to take a breather and rest from all the dizzy troubles.

For today, try this simple breathing exercise to help yourself relax a little for the rest of the day: 7/11 breathing - breathe in for 7 counts and out for 11 counts. It sounds simple, but actually the science behind it will change the levels of carbon dioxide and oxygen in your body to ones that will make you feel more calm and relaxed. It's a great exercise to do anywhere, even with people around, because no one will notice you do it.

Darbysa
27-11-13, 19:28
Hi fedup
So sorry you are feeling so bad. I agree with all that's been said by others. The breathing stuff is really good advice.
Hang on in there.
Thinking about you x

fedup36
27-11-13, 19:57
Thank you all...
Ended up staying at work late and can now say I was having a panic attack... I feel that bad when I'm having one that its hard to think clearly...

The problem is now another symptom has reared it's head... I am getting this sharp stabbing pain when I go to the loo on the lower right of my abdomen... I also get the sharp pain when I'm coughing... It's triggering off my anxiety again :( I know none of you are doctors but it would be reassuring to know someone else had had this....