PDA

View Full Version : advice please

Volvoman50
27-11-13, 19:41
Hi all, just wanted some advice. I have been getting some depersonalisation but I have also noticed that for no reason in will suddenly Start thinking "please god" (I have been praying a lot when had anxiety so think this has become habit) even though nothing to be anxious about. I also think I may have become so used to watching every thought and reasoning /psycho analysis with myself that when I am actually not thinking anything I start to get jittery and wonder what's going on or coming up that I then have to think of something.
Just wondering if anyone experienced anything like these?

Thanks.

phil6
27-11-13, 20:28
Volvoman
You sound like you suffer from a problem that I have.... Overthinking.
One of the most difficult things with anxiety is the way it changes and distorts your thinking.
I know I struggle with the my thinking mind which is determined to protect me by trying to work out what to do, how to think, or how not to think, all in an effort to help stop the anxiety.
The thing is, I believe, that the thinking mind is really not helping. It cannot come up with a solution, but it's story telling and false beliefs are actually making things worse. Acceptance is also something it cannot fathom.
I think the best advise I can give to both you and my own chattering mind is.... "Sorry mate, you don't need to get involved. You can chatter away, but sorry, it's a load of twaddle and thanks, but no thanks.
Acceptance is an attitude, not a thinking process.
Phil

Volvoman50
27-11-13, 20:34
Thanks Phil. Thats great advice and very helpful.

tamo
28-11-13, 06:04
I stripped down a dyson vacuum cleaner , replaced a part , built it back together , working perfect , it took me 2 hours and do you know what ! I forgot I had anxiety problems for 2 hours . Of course when idle our overthinking mind wants to remind us of it and usually succeeds . Distraction on a regular basis rewires our brain to learns new habits . there are volumes of material on how this works on the web . The reason I relapsed i think is because I allowed the old habits to resurface , there's work to be done .

take care bud

Volvoman50
28-11-13, 19:37
Thanks Tamo I agree With you best to truly accept things and let my mind chatter and get on with what I am doing.