PDA

View Full Version : Confused advise required.

Mac1chick
28-11-13, 18:36
hey all,

Been suffering anxiety manifesting as derealisation for just over 2 months now.
Although it does seem to be getting a little better there is something I don't understand. I am perfectly normal in my own home, in my dads or sisters home and even in the car!!! But for some reason the DR rears its ugly head when i go outside !!! I can even look out of a window and be ok but as soon as I go outdoors it kicks in !!! Does anyone know why this might be ?

Thanks
Mac

inCOGnito
28-11-13, 19:19
because you have different thoughts or beliefs about being outside

Mac1chick
28-11-13, 19:21
I don't feel like I consciously do . I think I just anticipate that I'm gonna feel rubbish outside. Is that what you mean ?

Thanks

cls1033
29-11-13, 12:08
what I have learned from DR is that the longer you are inside the worse you feel when you go outside. you get use to being inside and when you do go outside everything feels and looks different causing that sensation. you need to spend a little more time outside if it is just sitting on the porch. trust me it helps to spend just as much time outside as it does inside

debs71
29-11-13, 16:12
..because you associate those places inside as being SAFE zones, so you mentally do not become anxious, therefore no derealisation.

Like you say Mac, you anticipate outside as being a threat, as that is where you know you feel it the worst, so it becomes a self-fulfilling cycle.

I agree with cls1033. The way to break it is to FACE it, time and time again. The more you get used to being outside, the more likely it is that the fear/derealistation will lessen, but if you stop yourself going out at all, it just gets worse, and in some cases can lead to not going out at all.

The key is to address the anxiety that causes the dereal, but also to not hide from it, and to keep facing it. xxxx:hugs:

Mac1chick
02-12-13, 18:07
I definately think it's improving but I know I do fear being outside a little but I'm fighting it by going out everyday .
Thanks so much for all replies.

MrAndy
02-12-13, 18:10
I definately think it's improving but I know I do fear being outside a little but I'm fighting it by going out everyday .
Thanks so much for all replies.
dont fight it and dont go out when you dont realy need to,that way going outside will feel natural.the more you fight anxiety the more it grips you

Mac1chick
02-12-13, 18:17
So should I just go out when i want or need to Andy ?

Jebdog
02-12-13, 21:24
When you want to Mac, but you should set yourself small goals (I will go to the shop to buy something, visit a friend, go for a 20 minute walk) that way you can exposure yourself outside without overdoing it. You may get DR, but try not to acknowledge it. Easier said than done but the more and more you give it less and less attention it will slowly start to dissipate.

You can beat it Mac.

Mac1chick
03-12-13, 14:41
Thank you Jebdog . Everyones help and support on here is truly amazing and I am very grateful for it .

Mac

MrAndy
03-12-13, 14:55
So should I just go out when i want or need to Andy ?
yes thats what i did as its a normal thing to do,going out to prove something or test your anxiety will only make you anxious !