PDA

View Full Version : I don't think im ever gonna recover whats the point of life anymore

Mac1chick
28-11-13, 21:12
I have never experienced anything like this for such a long period too.
Derealisation is the most horrid bizzare and frightening thing ever ! Its stripped my confidence. I feel like giving up . Whats the point of life anymore.

HoneyLove
28-11-13, 21:30
Hi, I'm sorry you're feeling so bad today :(

Know that everyone is here to support you! X

I've noticed you mention that you suffer with derealisation a lot, can you explain a bit more about how it manifests or how your anxiety manifests to me?

Is there anything that triggers the derealisation for you? When is it at it's worst?

I saw you mention that bright lights bother you? Do you ever notice muscle tension or pain in your neck, face, head or jaw?

And if you don't mind answering even more questions lol, do you clench your jaw or grind your teeth? Or spend a lot of time bent over looking down at a phone/tablet or working on a computer?

Mac1chick
28-11-13, 21:37
hi honeylove ,

I feel so awful tonight. You know when you feel like you are the only person in the world that feels like this. I just get the Dr mainly outside. I feel like my whole life has changed. I do work on a comp but its not that coz I have been off work 8 weeks with my illness. I don't get on with my partner he is not supportive but im scared to leave him. Sometimes I think he might be the cause of my underlying anxiety. My symptoms are like what most people describe. Feeling like Im detached, in a bubble one layer away from the actual world. I just don't know why its going on and on and on :( I've suffered depression and anxiety b4 but its never been like this. Just makes me feel so hopeless.

HoneyLove
28-11-13, 21:39
The reason I asked all those questions above is because I have some experience of derealisation myself - sometimes it's a stress thing, and other times it can be related to muscle tension, sometimes one feeds into the other. The questions will unwind for me what you're experiencing and hopefully help a little.

Mac1chick
28-11-13, 21:43
I def think its stress related. I don't get any muscle or jaw or head pain at all. Just this feeling of unreality which is really getting me down and scaring me quite alot !

HoneyLove
28-11-13, 21:50
When you mentioned being bothered by bright lights and derealisation it made me wonder if it was a physical thing happening for you. Do you ever get neck pain? Or spend hours looking down at devices like your phone?

If it's stress related then stress management is the key to recovering from it, have you asked for any support from a counsellor or women's charity for your relationship situation?

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Also, you mentioned that it hits when you go outside in particular, so many it happens with activity - do you ever notice problems with how you see things (apart from bright lights), like do patterns look confusing or the world seem a bit bouncy? Or do you ever feel off balance?

Mac1chick
28-11-13, 21:55
I don't have neck pain honeylove. I'm starting with a councellor next week. I'm too afraid to end my relationship even tho its awful. I do feel unbalanced at times but mainly just feel like I'm in a bubble and things are a bit slow motion.

HoneyLove
28-11-13, 21:58
Well, try to hold on until you can start your counselling next week, it will be helpful.

In the meantime you should have a look at some stress management techniques to help you deal with how bad you're feeling.

Mac1chick
28-11-13, 22:00
Do you still get the feelings of derealisation honeylove ?
And thank you

HoneyLove
28-11-13, 22:11
Only on and off.

I got it during a time when I felt extremely stressed, my husband and I are separating and just before we made the decision we were having a very difficult time. The derealisation came down over me a few times almost like a blanket to stop me from getting more and more stressed, I felt like it was a protective mechanism my brain was putting in place. It felt like I was living in a dream.

I also get a more physical feeling of it, like being fuzzy headed and out of it, and often like my arms and not my own arms if that makes sense. This type seems to be related to muscle tension that's created by bad posture, sitting still for too long, stress and jaw clenching.

I have a balance/vestibular problem too, that's often much more noticeable when I go outside as the challenges to my balance system really play up when I go out into a busier environment and start moving.

debs71
28-11-13, 22:17
Sorry, but I don't really think this has anything to do with anything physical.

Derealisation is a classic side effect of high anxiety. The only way to combat it is by default, in other words, by addressing the anxiety, and that involves medication and/or therapy, and to the most part, facing the feelings time and time and time again, even if it feels scary to go out, etc. or wherever it hits you...it takes persistence and time to get shot of it.

I'm afraid that like a lot of anxiety symptoms, it is par for the course, but thankfully not usually long-lasting. If it IS long-lasting it is basically because you are still highly anxious, and the anxiety is not being controlled well enough.

I would say I am on the way to being a lot better from my recent relapse with anxiety and panic after 2 months of restarting meds. Before taking meds again, my dereal/depersonalisation was 24/7 almost, and it is horrible, I know, but at this point it is pretty much gone, because the anxiety is being addressed.

That is where you have to hit it to get rid of dereal.

Bear in mind though, that even on your good days, you may still have moments of dereal. I still get it (like you) mostly in public, but it can only scare you if you allow it to. Telling yourself 'I know what this is, and it is just anxiety' makes a lot of difference.

If you treat it with contempt, it loses its power.

I wish you luck with the counselling, Mac. I am sure it will help you a lot.xx:hugs:

HoneyLove
28-11-13, 22:21
I think you're right debs, there were just a few things that Mac mentioned in the past that made me wonder if it was a physical thing (hitting when she goes outside, bothered by bright lights) - always worth asking questions anyway.

I've had derealisation from both stress and a physical problem, neither are nice to experience and quite stressful to go through. Thank goodness it's gone for me at the moment anyway. I hope that Mac can get through it soon too x

Mac1chick
28-11-13, 22:24
Thanks debs x What Im scared of is that im not gonna get to the root of my anxiety which in turn will mean that the symptoms will stay with me .

debs71
28-11-13, 22:38
Sorry Honey....didn't mean to contradict you, hon. Sometimes I open my mouth without thinking, and you are bang on right to question that. x:hugs:

Mac - Aww....you know I totally understand your fears about that. You know, sometimes it is very hard to even GET to the root of anxiety. I am not sure even if I have managed that after years of it on and off, but please believe that that does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that you cannot get shot of the symptoms.

My cousin's partner has also suffered from anxiety and panic, and derealisation etc. and when I had a chat with him about it, he said the same....he really couldn't put his finger on why, out of the blue at age 50, he became anxious and panicky. Sometimes it is just something in our subconscious that we don't even know what.

I am pretty certain that counsellng will help you a great deal, Mac. Sometimes just releasing how we feel to a third-party, who can offer their thoughts and help you make sense of all of this weird stuff and horrible symptoms makes a big difference. Not finding the root doesn't have to mean the anxiety itself and the effects cannot be addressed, I assure you...it would be great if we could all know what causes it, but it CAN still be tackled, I promise! xxx:hugs:

Mac1chick
28-11-13, 22:43
You're amazing debs x You always make me feel so much better x

debs71
29-11-13, 16:20
You're amazing debs x You always make me feel so much better x

Awww Mac. (embarrassed face):blush:

Thanks for your kind words. If there is one thing good to come out of ruddy anxiety for many years it is at least to use it to try to help and advise other sufferers if I can. There are so many negatives with anxiety and mental health issues, and to find something productive about it is at least something, hon.

I also find it helps me with my anxiety, being able to keep occupied with trying to help others.xxxx:hugs::hugs::hugs: