PDA

View Full Version : Blood test - worried about symptoms after

xxrachel91
28-11-13, 22:33
I had a blood test on Wednesday. Usually I am fine with them but my arm has felt funny ever since. I had tingling fingers and numbness in my arm yesterday and my arm was sore but the tingling seems to have stopped but my arm is still a little sore. I've also had chills/sweats/feel hot, nausea and had an upset stomach. Is that just a coincidence and have I caught a bug or do you think I might have a blood infection/poisoning? :(

debs71
28-11-13, 23:27
Hi,

Did the person taking the blood have a problem putting the needle in? Was it sore when they did so?

If so, that will make a vast difference to how sore you arm is now.

Good phlebotomists get access straight away, no faffing about and don't leave bruises/much in the way of soreness, but unfortunately sometimes soreness is par for the course, even if they haven't been poking about too much...it just depends how they access the vein, so the soreness is entirely normal!

It would be highly improbable to have blood poisoning from having blood taken. Everything that touches you/accesses your body is sterile, straight from the package, so the chances are next to none.

IMO, your other symptoms are probably unrelated. They sound more like anxiety effects to me/coincidental.

I hope you feel better soon.xx:hugs:

xxrachel91
28-11-13, 23:45
Hi,

Did the person taking the blood have a problem putting the needle in? Was it sore when they did so?

If so, that will make a vast difference to how sore you arm is now.

Good phlebotomists get access straight away, no faffing about and don't leave bruises/much in the way of soreness, but unfortunately sometimes soreness is par for the course, even if they haven't been poking about too much...it just depends how they access the vein, so the soreness is entirely normal!

It would be highly improbable to have blood poisoning from having blood taken. Everything that touches you/accesses your body is sterile, straight from the package, so the chances are next to none.

IMO, your other symptoms are probably unrelated. They sound more like anxiety effects to me/coincidental.

I hope you feel better soon.xx:hugs:

Thank you for your response :hugs: The nurse I had is usually the nurse who has done all my previous blood tests. I don't think she had much trouble finding it. The scratch from the needle might have hurt a little more than other blood tests I have but I was trying my best not to focus on it as I'm quite squeamish! Usually I have a small bruise around the needle scratch but I don't have one this time.

Do you think it would be worth me seeing a doctor to make sure the symptoms I have aren't related to that? Of course while I was looking up my symptoms I came across sepsis and other blood infections and so that's worried me :unsure: I definitely don't think these are anxiety effects though as they aren't the usual ones I get.

insideyourfreekit
16-10-14, 22:18
Im curious, were you o.k. Are you still o.k xxrachel91?

gidluite
12-04-15, 02:37
Don't worry there..