PDA

View Full Version : I'm my own worst enemy....help!

Purdybird
14-07-04, 16:30
I have just been surfing the web and have just looked up overactive thyroid and guess what.........loads of the symptoms match mine ie anxiety, loose bowl movements, weight loss, over awareness of heart beat.

Would the hospital have checked my blood for this when I called an ambulance in April for my first panic attack???

I'm worrid now that I have this overactive thyroid thing....I've read it can be dangerous!

Do you think that they check for it as routine when people are admitted to hospital with panic?

Any replies would be very welcome.

Thanks

Purdybird x

EMMA
14-07-04, 16:53
Hi Purdybird,

When I first had my bout of anxiety, depression etc 3 years ago they did test me for my thyroid and it was fine. That was only because they couldn't understand what was causing my symptoms. Eventually after counselling I found out it was my relationship causing it and this time it is stress....I've been made redundant, getting married in two weeks, had exams at college and started a new job. The whole thing has stressed me out. I think I've nipped it in the bud this time.

It's very unlikely you have a thyroid problem. Have you had any stress in your life or is there any reasons you can think of for why you would have had a panic attack? Also have you been to your GP? You could maybe ask them to check your thyroid if it is concerning you. It just involves a simple blood test.

Try not to worry too much. Although I'm a fine one to talk. I've read loads of websites and convinced myself I've had various illnesses.

Take care

Emma x

Meg
14-07-04, 17:30
GP's will routinely test for thyroid dysfunction at the first sign of a panic attack or new anxiety.

Its only dangerous if it gets left for years on end untreated.

As Emma says its just a single blood test.

You could phone your GP surgery and ask if its been done in the last 3 years.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Rennie1989
14-07-04, 21:15
hiay guys

sound a bit silly askin dis but

Whats Thyroid???

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

Meg
14-07-04, 22:23
Your thyroid is a gland which is part of your endocrine system. It is just in front of your wind pipe .

Its job is to produce hormones one of which is called thyroxine.

The normal action of thyroxine is to keep all bodily functions occurring at the correct rate.

Meg

Robert Albert Bloch

Caz Fab Pants
14-07-04, 23:26
Purdy Bird,

I wouldn't worry about it too much as its pretty unlikely to be your thyroid. I'm sure you would be feeling much worse ie exhausted not just tired, possibly anaemic etc.

I had the same symptoms as you and have had mine checked twice in the last 4-5yrs. The results came back completely normal both times.

Would be worth getting it tested just to give yourself peace of mind.

Good luck, you'll be fine :)

Caroline
x

Purdybird
15-07-04, 09:21
Thanks everyone,

As usual when I got home from work and thought about things rationally i realised it is highly unlikely that I have a thyroid problem.

I'm such a fool - I know!

My anxiety was brought on by my own health obsessions, which ultimately led to "the" panic attack. I just wish all the symptoms would go away as quickly as they came on. I had no tight chest, strange sensations in throat etc before, so why do they linger so?

I have started a rigorous exercise regime. I do 20 mins per night on my elliptical trainer. Just to prove to myself that I will not drop dead of a heart attack (again I had no worries over my heart prior to my panic attack ).

People say that exercise is a great help with anxiety, how long before you start to see results?

I actually really enjoy moving my body again. A few years ago I was a bit of an exercise freak who attended circuit training classes 3 x per week and was also a frequent gym visitor.T

Must stop rambling.......

Thanks

Purdybird

Meg
15-07-04, 10:59
You ramble if it helps you ...

Good move over the exercise and the heart worry. You will start to feel calmer after it within days - especially if you then follow it with a relaxing bath before bed .

Plus you can be pleased in knowing that doing this exercise will strengthen your heart .

Meg

Robert Albert Bloch