PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks are good for your heart???

natalie5555
29-11-13, 14:21
Hey guys so i went for my first CBT session today i had a anxiety attack before i went in was so annoying the therapist had to calm me down lol. Anyway i told her my worries and concerns and about my panic attacks. I said to her im worried they will damage my heart and all the years ive had palps that it will harm my heart, she said what happens when u go for a run? I said your heart races, she said the same happens when u have a panic attack so people with panic disorder have stronger hearts.. I said yeah but what about the stress hormones wont they harm you? And she said no because the adrenaline will get rid of most of them but u obviously will feel warn out. She said that stress obviously causes a unhealthy life style and that's what causes health problems. This must be true then coz she obviously will know everything about this as shes a therapist? Has anyone ever been told this before? IM having a 24hour monitor on the 5th put on so maybe i should ask a cardiologist about it then and see if they say the same thing.

Tim89
29-11-13, 15:50
Hi

Because stress and the body is so complicated nobody knows for sure and its a matter of current research. however much of what the therapist says is correct because a large part of the reason for stressed people having more heart disease is not the stress itself but the fact stressed people are more likely to have poor diets, smoke, do little exercise, and just generally live less healthy lifestyles. Years of poor diet and sitting in front of the tv as well as smoking are the real dangers and the good news is you can easily take control of these, they're your choices to make.

By the way I'm wearing my 24hr monitor now, its not too uncomfortable but its making me a little nervous thinking about my heart.

Also I have CBT in 2 weeks time and I can guarantee I'll be having a panic attack when I first go so your not the only one :D

natalie5555
29-11-13, 22:13
that's good to hear about the monitor! Ah good luck with the cbt Tim! Thankyou for the reply :) in gunna ask a cardiologist about what she said when i have my monitor fitted