PDA

View Full Version : other people being ill

sarahblonde32
29-11-13, 15:27
Hey i think i have this. My fear isnt really about me being sick, although it does terrify me, im terrified of other people near being sick. I especially cant stand being near children, and its a reason i dont want kids myself, kids are always sick!
Im rarely sick myself, although last weekend i drank too much and i just knew i was going to be sick, in the end i just wanted it out to feel better!

My mum had a op a while back and was sick when i went to see her, it was horrible, and i had to go out of the room, i felt so bad...really like i had let her down cos i couldnt stand it. and on a hen weekend last month, i was sharing a room and praying that noone would be sick. and they were!
it consumes alot of my life, as does the anxiety i suppose.
I have a terrible gag reflex too and when i get anxious i gag, i suspect the two are combined.
how do we cope!?
sarah

Daisy34
30-11-13, 12:00
Hi Sarah, I too have the exact same problem. I have 2 kids and spend every minute during bug season praying that they won't throw up. It got so bad that I am now seeing a psychologist. I was initially given meds to calm my anxiety down and help me cope better then I was taught relaxation. Which really does help. My rational side tells me that the chances of the kids being ill is small and not to worry, but my irrational side sees Norovirus everywhere and that my kids will get ill in 3.....2....1. I am slowly, with the help of my fantastic psychologist, starting to beat this. Go see your doctor, they will help you. Feel better sweetie xxx

sarahblonde32
05-12-13, 11:00
HI,

Thanks, its horrid isnt it. i cant even think about having kids and clearing up vomit! my friends al tell me about how 'little one' was vomiting all night. and i cant bear it!!

its beginning to affect my life a bit, i have seen doc about anxiety, which is fairly mild and i dont want meds, but does the psycholoigist help? i was going to try cbt or hypnosis? all of which cost money i dont have though!
good luck with bug season! :(
sarahxx

xapril123x
07-12-13, 15:27
ahh I always think that I don't want kids because children always have stomach bugs! Feeling and being sick is the worst thing in the world to me. My phobia of that is what started all my other anxiety problems off. I get really panicky and scared when other people are ill around me, I feel like I'm just a time bomb waiting to catch the bug!

westmidslad1983
07-12-13, 15:32
hi april and the rest of you i suffer anxiety when travelling but i know itsall
related im on here n chatroom if you ever need a chat x

Mcblouby
08-12-13, 04:27
I'm really struggling with my emetaphobia.....I've had the fear since I was around 4 years old. I now have 3 children and it's at it's worst!! If any of my children are sick I leave the house and go and stay at my parents! I just can't deal with any aspect of it. All 3 of my children had the bug in the summer a and my youngest was sick tonight so now I'm worried the whole house will catch it! I've retreated to my dads house and in sat up worrying! I've just taken motilium just in case and I'm shaking I'm so nervous about the situation. I hate this time of year bra cause if the norovirus and have been waiting 13 months to see a phobia counsellor on the NHS now! I know there are others who suffer with the same thing it's just nice to know that you can contact someone who understands via this forum x

goldenchicks522
09-12-13, 17:53
yes for some reason im better with the idea that IF anything did happen re being ill which i hope it wouldnt obviously, that id deal better with me myself getting ill but the anxiety about passing it to others seems to be too much for me.

anxiety is the main issue really, if we beat the anxiety we beat the whole emet.

Rls1994
22-12-13, 04:55
Hi Sarah. I am the same but I fear myself being sick more. The only time I freak out is when someone is sick because of something contagious that I can catch. If they're sick from alcohol then it doesn't bother me really. Still don't like it though, lol.