PDA

View Full Version : Question?

Granny Primark
29-11-13, 19:54
If you were diaganosed with an incurable illness would you want know and could you cope with it? Sorry to be so morbid but ive got a close neighbour and a very close family member that are going through this.
Personally Im not that brave.
Sorry to be so morbid. xx

nomorepanic
29-11-13, 20:56
I think that depends on the illness and what problems you would get from it really.

I have two incurable illnesses - Crohn's disease and heart failure

I cope because I have to - there is no other option.

ElizabethJane
29-11-13, 22:05
I think its depends on the individual.My Mum had MND an incurable and terminal illness. She resigned herself to the illness. She knew she was going to die but same did not want family members to know until they had to know. Protecting them from what??If If I have a terminal illness I want to fight it but I would want everyone to know.It is the actual process of death that is the scary one. I want to plan my death so that I can be in control of pain whether in hospital or at home with family around me. I don't want to fear death I want a happy death. EJ

Tessar
30-11-13, 08:28
I 'd like to think I would be like nic and just get in with it. Of course I can't know TNT for sure because I haven't found myself in that situation. I do believe whatever the situation that I would not want the disease to run my life, I would still wish to be in control.... For as long as possible that is. Sometime we believe we are not brave because its very painful and scary for us to see close family or friends having to cope with a diagnosis and then cope with the disease. But again, we don't know for sure how we would be because when looking into the lives of others, it's different to how it would be if it were us. We have alot of emotional connection to the people so we are thinking differently. Our Instinct is to worry about them and to feel their pain and emotion too.
The best thing we can offer is support and friendship and to be willing to help them, to listen and so on.
Alongside offering help/support, love etc, Indeed most often when I have known people coping with illness, the one thing I have been able to offer them that seems most welcome of all is a connection to normality, talking about every day things and carrying on like normal much of the time.
I see them just as themselves first and foremost. Their condition just happens to be part of them. I know if course that will vary because if it's a fluctuating condition, sometimes they could be laid low & u can't ignore it. But I do try to focus on them first if you see what I mean.

Rennie1989
02-12-13, 10:07
Depends on the impact it will have on my life.

I have an incurable condition that will get worse as I age, which is likely to deform me when I'm elderly. As someone who is almost 24 I simply don't think about it. I could get it semi-fixed if I had the money to (NHS won't touch it) but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. It won't kill me (I certainly hope it doesn't!) but it will leave me very visibly deformed with possibly mobility issues, but as long as I can still maintain my hygiene and dignity I don't care.

I don't know how I'd feel if I had an incurable illness that would affect my health or life. I'd certainly make more of my life, after the initial shock, but I wouldn't want anything to change.