PDA

View Full Version : Going out in public.

Cammy
29-11-13, 20:42
So, apart from stressing thinking I have heart problems and think I have a disease, I have a pretty good life. I have a beautiful girlfriend, and I'm going to propose to her on hogmany, we have not long found out she is pregnant, which is fantastic. But I am ridden with health anxiety, I think I'm going to drop dead at any moment.

Tonight my dad, my girlfriend and her mum went to dinner. I was feeling quite anxious but about 10 minutes into us sitting down I had terrible chest pains. I tried not to make it noticeable but it was horrible. I felt on edge most of the meal but tried to act normal for everyone.

Do you think the chest pains was from being in public and stressing about it?? I'm home now but still feel pretty sick, I'm too hot and my chest feels funny.

Any advice guys??

Fishmanpa
29-11-13, 20:49
I'm not a doctor but it sounds like a classic panic attack. Glad you're feeling better!

Congrats on becoming a Daddy and the upcoming nuptials!

Advice: Now more than any other time in your life, it's time to seek treatment for your anxiety. With the coming responsibility of a wife and family, you can ill afford to allow anxiety to rule your life. They deserve it as well as you.

Positive thoughts

Cammy
29-11-13, 21:25
Thanks fishmanpa! I am currently taking 20mg citalopram which seems to help me function daily, but I still think the meds just numb my emotions it's weird. But I'm waiting to hear back from a psychologist as my doctor has referred me for cbt, so looking forward to that as well!

Fishmanpa
29-11-13, 21:31
Thanks fishmanpa! I am currently taking 20mg citalopram which seems to help me function daily, but I still think the meds just numb my emotions it's weird. But I'm waiting to hear back from a psychologist as my doctor has referred me for cbt, so looking forward to that as well!

I was on Zoloft for some depression for a time and I know what you mean about feeling numb. I had some side effects from it too so it wasn't a pleasant experience for me. However, that coupled with one on one therapy got me through a rough patch after my 1st heart attack and bypass surgery.

Good man on getting the CBT and psychotherapy! Sounds like you have plans to make a plan and that's steps in the right direction!

Positive thoughts.

Cammy
29-11-13, 21:39
Well I let this rule my life for about a year so it's time to take the bull by the horns. I still feel sick and dizzy 9 weeks after starting the meds but I still believe it's side effects nothing else, although in my mind I think I have heart problems which the doctor said was not true after an ECG. But things are slowly but surely getting better!

skippy66
29-11-13, 23:08
Cammy I could have written your post 5 years ago. I was exactly the same in social situations. It's an anxiety reaction.