PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I Have Sedatives?

littlebutterflygb
30-11-13, 00:22
Due to recent family stresses, I asked my GP for a 'mild sedative' to help me cope with some difficult events that have been happening. Sometimes I have a constant knot in my stomach, which I hate and which Mindfulness wants me to 'accept' but I still hate it and then start to worry about and...well...you know how that goes.

But she wouldn't give me any as they're addictive - which I fully accept. Except that I feel tempted to have a glass of wine to help me 'calm down' - which is equally addictive and harmful.

It just seems hypercritical to refuse mild sedatives, but it's okay if I just want to start drinking myself to oblivion, which leads to even more problems? I just don't understand the problem with prescribing mild sedatives for a limited time.

nomorepanic
30-11-13, 00:33
Did you tell the doc that you would drink instead though?

littlebutterflygb
30-11-13, 14:28
I didn't Nicola and that's a fair point to make. I will mention this next time; my Dr knows I don't drink or like feeling drunk as I don't like being 'out of control' so the thought that I might may not have occurred to her. tbh, it never occurred to me either but its hard to accept that knot in my stomach and I feel a bit desperate for a break.