PDA

View Full Version : Tinnitus

Mr Mannering
30-11-13, 12:23
Just thought I'd have a say.. I do not know a great deal about the effects this can have on you. I wish I did. Basically I have tinnitus in the form of what can only be described as going out to a pub/club all night and that fuzzy noise you get the morning after. it is constant and has been like this for nearly a year I'd say. Ive had a hearing test in that ear and it is below par for my age. To add to that when people with deep voices or a dog barks or something similar my ear sounds like a broken speaker as it buzzes with every word. When I go over a cobbled street for example my ear will warble. I've had ear pressure tests and they come back fine. I am awaiting an MRI scan results too. However I have started to get aching muscles across my shoulders and neck and sometimes in the side of my head, same side as the dodgy ear. I also have a bit of TMJ on the same side Jaw... falling apart I am..

Does anyone else think that Tinnitus can cause so much irritation and problems? I think my muscles ache because I always feel tense. Who knows.

almamatters
30-11-13, 12:33
I suffer from intermittent tinnitus in my left ear. Mine is the kind that comes on randomly and I get a shrill sound that lasts for several minutes and then it wears off. I am someone who clenches my jaw and grinds my teeth and I wonder if there is some kind of connection. I have had a lot of tests which have all come back normal. I do feel there is some kind of stress thing going off with me, not sure if it is the same for you.

Fishmanpa
30-11-13, 12:38
I believe you've answered your own question there Mr. M. Certainly stressing can cause muscles to tense and subsequently cause other issues. Losing the ability to hear clearly certainly is stressful and having a chronic issue (I have many) with something so many take for granted is not pleasant.

For me, it's just frustrating more than anything. I don't stress as I know the cause but I do know some of what you're saying.

Hang in there!

cpe1978
30-11-13, 16:14
Ok this is one of the few things I have some experience of. I have had tinnitus for ages, exactly as you describe and it can be exceptionally stressful although I must say it gets better. Although the noise in my head hasn't changed a bit, my brain sort of filters it out now and I rarely hear it and if I do it doesn't very much bother me.

To give you context, I could readily hear it alongside the tv if I wanted to.

TMJ can be a cause of tinnitus, but it can also be a result of stress as obviously can tight muscles. Might be worth mentioning it to the dentist next time you go.

But in the meantime as far as tinnitus is concerned, it is probably here to stay and so it is helpful to focus on your reaction to it and in time your perception will diminish.

MrAndy
30-11-13, 17:51
i have had good results with magnesium and zinc which has lowered the loudness of my tinnitus

HoneyLove
30-11-13, 20:58
MrMannering, the others are right, tinnitus is very much a part of TMJ - it's such a nuisance, I have it myself! Are you being treated for the TMJ? There is lots you can do to help relieve that muscle tension and it may lessen the tinnitus a bit.

pearl79
30-11-13, 23:02
My ears are screaming tonight. Drives me nuts xxx

Mr Mannering
03-12-13, 13:07
Thanks Guys.... I haven't had results of MRI yet. hopefully all good. The noise in the background I think I can cope with. The most irritating bit is the buzzing like a broken speaker when certain people speak.

Groundhog
03-12-13, 23:00
Hello

I have had 'T' for around five years now as a result of working in the explosives industry - no ear defenders, to close to an explosion had ' T' ever since. Have to agree with the comment above that in time your brain learns to ignore it. There is many a time when I think it's gone but no it's still there. Can't say as it particularly bothers me much these days.
The stats for 'T' are quite staggering, you would be surprised how many people suffer it in one form or another, and try Googling famous people with 'T' and you won't feel so alone.