PDA

View Full Version : was doing so well then crashed

jos
09-11-06, 18:25
hi
having suffered a major anxiety and depression breakdown 2 years ago things were going so well - anxiety well under control - depression well on the run - really getting into work and life - i looked back and could see how unwell i had been and that i was basically recovered

I switched to a new job and I had a long weekend away to come back to a state of anxiety that i had not known for a year or more - really extreme and intrusive - very physical - very down - sleep was sparse with intrusive dreams - every issue i had long since dealt with haunted my whirring thoughts -

i really felt that things had tipped off the edge ready - sure the new job was challenging, the trip away was with old friends from times when i was stronger before all of this, maybe i was brewing a cold but for this reaction seemed way out of proportion - before this any lapses had been into depression for a few days - never such an extreme state of anxiety

i think things are settling now after a few days and i'm not expecting any clear reason - in fact it may be a positive occurrence as i have resorted to all of my well learned strategies and didn't stay off work, didn't go to my docs

has anyone had similar "out of the blue" relapses - it has taken me by surprise - quite a shock that while i felt really better i was still very fragile

thanks jos

Paddington
09-11-06, 18:35
oh yes jos!Ihad a stinker two weeks ago!I lost it completely!Iwas very surprised by it and deeplyupset,BUT..like you i have [with helpoff here]decided to see it as a blip!And now am forging foreward again.After all the adrenalin that surged thru me iwas shaky for a week,but that is settling now.You have the right attitude and will always get a good response on here to help you thru!Nice to meet you jos.love mary rose.xxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

dj9928
09-11-06, 21:00
Yep, I had a relapse, It actually was caused by reading an advice forum believe it or not, Reading through peoples symptoms set me off, It took me a good 3 or 4 months to sort my head out,

Check Out My Anxiety Diary

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=127587744

NPS_Paul
09-11-06, 22:02
Yes being recovered doesn't make us perfect. I get bad days, and those are the ones when you need to act most! It sounds like you are so level headed, see this for what it was, and perhaps it has made you a little stronger? I hope those on the road to recovery read your post and see that recovery isn't easy but you have to keep going in the one direction despite surprise bad days, like our pasts. You're an example to us all, me included, brilliant post, thank you, love Paul.

Love to all members

Alexocelix
10-11-06, 22:46
I had a relapse of sorts a week ago. I say relapse because I didn't even realise I was suffering so much from anxiety, although my life seemed fine I now realise it wasn't. A week later and I feel very shaken but very positive and determined, especially after reading through here.

jos
11-11-06, 00:03
thanks all -

it was the intensity of the relapse that shocked me - all my comfort zones had gone - but despite all i've had a successful week in getting to grips with the new job - its amazing what you can still achieve while sweating and trembling and trying not to be sick - and nobody noticed enough to say anything

- distraction, routine, relaxation, treats and shoeboxes (to put your worries in and put under the bed) kicked in like a well practiced routine - my psychologist would be proud of me

i am learning my triggers and moods a little better every blip -

thanks for you thoughts

cheers jos xx

GAD
11-11-06, 20:59
Your not alone - I felt great for a good few years and then BAM, it was back. like you, i did go straight back to basics and looked through all of the stuff i have learned. I also went back to the docs to see a psychologist and was lucky to be seen quite quickly. but i found that i only needed the sessions to let off steam as i had already gained the knowledge i needed to get me by. When i said to the psychologist, i'm tired, i thought i had beaten this and i have worked soo hard to get where i was. i felt i was back to square one! he said that although i had beaten it i must always be on my guard to put my coping strategies back in place as anxiety is a condition that i have to control forever and not let it control me. I cried my eyes out at the mere thought of going through it all again but that was not the case, as you do learn to live with it quite well. thats not to say that i am recovered as i dont think i will ever class myself as being recovered now. I've started to accept anxiety as a part of me that i have to accept. as long as its not as debillitating as it was in the beginning i think it can only get easier.

Well done for coping and being pro-active with it - i think thats the KEY!!

Michelle.

mick
11-11-06, 21:31
hi Jos
happened to me back in august, had been fine for about 8months pukka and all that,i decided to come of my anti dees in late may and for a while i felt fine but i dont know why early august it all came on top again panic attacks all the old anxiety symptons the full monty so to speak, iwas gutted really thought i had beaten it, still i know better now, imean this time around im a lot wiser and have alot more coping skills then i did before, im back on my anti dees and the panic has subsided i must admit however that ive still issues to resolve and its gonna take time but allthough its hard work at times i know i can beat it, and beat it i will.Your not alone Jos these relapes hit quite a few of us m8 but we can win in the end
good luck
Mick