PDA

View Full Version : ACUPUNCTURE? Thoughts/Comments Welcome!

waterfall
01-12-13, 14:05
Hi all

Cant believe I am here again after a hiatus of over 2 years.......Back on 10mg of Citalopram [day 20] and have had a major relapse last week of actually waking up at 5am thinking I was having a breakdown and seriously contemplating how good it would be to not have to deal anymore.

Instead I have booked an acupuncture session - 1st one ever and was just wondering what people thought?

Thanks again - its such a comfort to have this website [was such a comfort with my last depressive episode] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Daisy Sue
01-12-13, 16:34
Hiya... I had acupuncture years ago to help me stop smoking, and it had no effect. But only a couple of years ago, I had it again on my lower back for acute on-going back pain, and it really, really helped, to the extent I could reduce my painkillers for the first time in weeks.

So I guess it's worth a try - you just never know! :)

waterfall
13-12-13, 22:55
Thank you Daisy Sue x
Had 2 sessions. Don't think it made an ounce of difference, but then again it hasn't made me worse!

Queendog
29-12-13, 16:03
I have had acupuncture treatments once a week since March. I initially started treatments for severe migraine headaches. I am still having what I call mini-migraines that appear during the night. I am able to control them with an abortive med called Relpax and a cup of coffee. I have not had a severe headache since I started treatment. In addition, I feel the acupuncture has helped with my anxiety and depression. It just doesn't last. I do feel really relaxed after treatments. From what I have read, one needs to have regular treatments for weeks or months to control things. Most insurance does not cover these kinds of treatments. In the USA, we have what is called community acupuncture places where you pay on a sliding scale between $15-45. This makes the treatments affordable. Don't really think acupuncture works for depression and anxiety unless you are also doing other things.

HoneyLove
29-12-13, 16:40
In my own experience acupuncture works well for muscle tension/pain, but it didn't help with anxiety levels. You might be better off going for sessions of a complementary therapy that will help you relax very deeply, as the deep relaxation is what will be most beneficial.

Katiex
31-12-13, 13:17
Acupuncture worked wonders for me! I had a violent twitching muscle in my back that lasted for 5 months non stop and after one session of acupuncture within 24 hours it was gone. I would love to try it for my anxiety and maybe some hypnotherapy, relaxation classes and meditation classes but they cost a fortune. Does anyone know if this is available on the NHS?