PDA

View Full Version : Can one report or get a GP struck off

ricardo
01-12-13, 19:34
Those of you that have been following my thread no that I have a lot on my plate at the moment and reluctantly I have started yet another SSRI (paroxetine 20 mg)on the advice of my psychiatrist and though I am only taking half the dose I am experiencing several horrendous side effects.

10 days in I phoned my GP who I found out was away all of last week and the receptionist said she would put me through to another doctor .He refused to speak to me and said I should speak to my own doctor.(he knew she was away)

This is the same doctor who knowing my daughter has very low BP prescribed her propranol for her headache and she passed out in the bathroom.

This is also the same doctor who saw my son a few years ago and diagnosed tonsillitis when he was alone in London and we were living in Spain. my son got really ill and could hardly speak and he managed to phone the practice asking for a doctor to come to his home, three minutes from the practice as he was too weak to walk. The same doctor refused.
My wife sensed the problem,took the first flight home and saw that our son was so dehydrated he was barely conscious. She stormed into the practice and luckily the very same doctor was on duty and she gave him hell. He then called an ambulance and my son was saved by going into hospital for 48 hours with a drip and was diagnosed with Glandular Fever and took a good year to recover.

How can a GP be allowed to practice just giving you these three seperate occasions.

Generally, the doctors though hard pushed, are generally helpful.

gypcyg
01-12-13, 20:00
Have you googled the doctors name to see if anyone else is unhappy with them?

The General Medical Council is the organisation you need, the complaints process starts on this page http://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/23339.asp

ElizabethJane
02-12-13, 18:34
I have had problems with my late Father. My Dad had broken his leg and the GP refused to come out to him. He failed to diagnose a head injury (chronic subdural haematoma) and my Dad collapsed in the Post Office. The same GP failed to diagnose a tumour on my Dads kidney after presenting with shortness of breath, chronic weight loss and anxiety. The GP prescribed Prozac. He did not arrange any tests to be done. My Dad had lost so much weight that the tumour could be palpated. We chose not to pursue a negligence case which would have got the GP struck off. This would have involved a lengthy court case and a lot of stress and for what? If you pursue this then you will need a lot of money and a good solicitor. You could always contact your local PCT and file a complaint that way. They will still need a lot of evidence with dates and times etc. We decided that it just wasn't worth it and my mental health could not cope with it. EJ

Pipkin
02-12-13, 19:06
I would suggest a complaint to the head of practice is a good place to start. Be clear about your points and they will have to investigate. What's important is that this doesn't happen again to your family or anyone else's.

Pip

ricardo
03-12-13, 07:21
Thank you all for the advise.

I suppose head of practice is as good as any place to start but I am being treated there as well and it might backfire on me as the doctors all work closely together but quite honestly this particular doctor (who is the oldest) really shouldn't make such elementary mistakes as he did with my daughter.

Magic
03-12-13, 07:41
Ricardo,
I have not been on nmp panic recently. Going through tough time at mo.
I would take the advise of Pikin. I don't know if there are leaflets in your GPs surgery, or a practise manager you can talk to.
Love to you :hugs: