PDA

View Full Version : Head pains...worried

LF87
01-12-13, 20:20
Hi all.
So, I've done well to last this long without posting about this. But I've given in and need some advice.
Last week I had a really nasty headache on the top right of my head. It was quite intense and lasted about 7-10 seconds. I spoke to my friend and she said she'd been having a similar thing, which made me feel better. She'd read up about it, and said they're called ice pick headaches, which are pretty horrible and painful, but don't last long, which was what happened with me.
However today I've had sort of mild stabbing pains in that same spot and I'm really panicking, even debating a&e. I know that sounds silly, but my mum had an aneurysm last November, and I'm worried this could be what it is.
I am probably a little dehydrated today, I had a few drinks last night, and I'm tired, so I know those are huge factors in headaches, but it's just the fact it's in the same area that's panicking me.
Has anyone had anything similar?
Thanks xx

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Anyone ? :(

Fishmanpa
01-12-13, 20:54
I had a few drinks last night, and I'm tired, so I know those are huge factors in headaches...has anyone had anything similar?
Thanks xx

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Anyone ? :(

There's your answer LF.... and if someone did have similar symptoms, what would that do for you? Take a couple of aspirin, drink some fluids and ride it out. You're fine.

Positive thoughts

Gotagetthroughthis
01-12-13, 21:03
Hi LF87,

Sorry to hear your going through a hard time.

I also have these headaches, I get them most days of the week. I have seen a neurologist about these and various other symptoms I was getting. The neuro said that these short burst of pain like the ice pick headaches are more often than not nothing to worry about. Where as long lasting pain may be something to look into.

By any chance are you on an anti depressant SSRI? I only ask as my ice pick headaches seemed to start when I started my medication.

Anyway, I know these symptoms are not pleasant at all and can be very worrying, so if they continue you could always see your doctor to see what they say.

Hope things improve for you soon.

LF87
01-12-13, 21:20
Thanks for the replies!
No, I'm not on any medication at the moment.
I've not had the ice pick pains since the initial one a week ago, but I've become very aware of that area on my head. If there's any twinges or pains there I panic immediately. I'm almost frightened of having another one. Today I've just had some mild sort of stabbing/achey ones. But I don't know if they're bad, or I'm just really tuned into them because of the nasty one last week.
I've had icepick headaches in the past, I don't know whether in the same place, I cant remember, but they never really bothered me before, I just thought, ouch, that was weird, and carried on with my day. But now I have developed the wonderful and always imaginative health anxiety, I am now concerned I have some horrendous underlying cause. Do you have the nasty ones every day?
Grrr! Not a good day :( x