PDA

View Full Version : Lump on back of neck

Keymonkie
01-12-13, 20:59
I've read these forums a number of times when I needed reassurance about symptoms I could attribute to my general anxiety disorder. Thanks to sites like this and previous therapy, I am not on any medication and am self-regulating my anxiety with lots of prayer.

But today I discovered a lump on the back of my neck, to the left of my spine. I probably wouldn't have noticed it since it wasn't painful, except that I've had chiropractic treatment since January (have just gone on maintenance and haven't been in 5 weeks) and am in the habit of making sure my neck stays loose.

The lump 'switches' back and forth under my fingers, but seems pretty firmly anchored for all that.

The only unusual activity I've had is I've been hiking the last 2 days (new hobby called letterboxing) and spent a lot of time watching the trail and the directions (head down).

Any tips or hints that'll keep me from jumping right into the lymphoma boat?

Thanks,
Key

Fishmanpa
01-12-13, 21:41
Hi Key,

Distract yourself... Read a book, watch a movie or a football game. Know that a lump as you describe doesn't just appear and it's sinister. I'm not a doctor but based on what you described and your recent activity, it could just be a muscle knot of some sort.

Resist the temptation to poke and prod it as you will only irritate it. The rule of thumb is if it doesn't resolve in a few weeks or increases in size, see your doctor.

Positive thoughts

Keymonkie
02-12-13, 12:45
Thank you; I guess I wouldn't be so concerned about it, hadn't its appearance been so sudden between Saturday's hike and Sunday afternoon.

DH thinks its just a muscle knot, which seems to be supported by the fact that when he tried to find it, it was "gone". I put IcyHot on the area before I went to bed.

Woke up this morning, the lump was back in its prominent form, so treated with more IcyHot before DH worked it a little. It's not prominent anymore, but I get the feeling that if I'm able to leave it alone for 8 hours, it'll be back again.

*sigh*

I think at this juncture we're just going to wait 2-3 weeks and then go to a doctor if it persists.

Thank you again for your calming advice--it was what I needed. :)