PDA

View Full Version : Some anxiety is normal

Tanner40
02-12-13, 12:29
I woke up this morning to the shrill sound of my alarm clock, after being on holiday for 5 days, where I peacefully woke up when I was ready to awake. The usual daily tasks awaited me. Dogs to be let out and walked, and cats to be fed. I received a text from one of my employees calling in sick (I'm already 3 employees down). Which means much more work for me. I found myself dreading going in to work, and felt a bit of the usual nausea and heavy, aching arms, with a bit of a racing heart.

I stopped and thought to myself, the usual morning crap. Then I thought, no, it's my reaction to these events that matter. All of the symptoms were gone within 10 minutes and I feel fine, ready to face the day.

Possibly it's time to take a deeper look at work and my home responsibilities, as I felt none of this on holiday. I am finally getting to the point where I realize that a little anxiety is a normal thing, and it's up to me to take control of my life. That's a good feeling.

blueangel
02-12-13, 12:41
That's absolutely spot on. Anxiety has been part of us since we became Homo sapiens, as otherwise we'd all have been eaten by sabre-toothed tigers and be extinct by now. :D

Tanner40
02-12-13, 12:52
Thanks Blue Angel. I have no intention of being eaten by saber tooted tigers today, nor of being plagued by feelings of anxiety.

HoneyLove
02-12-13, 12:58
Tanner you're very right in saying that it's your reaction to these events that is the key here. We have no control over what happens in life, all we have control over is how we react to things. If we can accept that then it makes life so much easier.

It's easier said than done of course, but it is possible.

Of course there will always be stress and anxiety, that's normal for any human being. But not getting caught up into a bigger cycle of stress and fear is the important part. You're well on your way to this healthy way of living.

You might be interested in some aspects of Buddhism, it's often about letting go and going with the flow of whatever life brings you :)

cpe1978
02-12-13, 13:52
Tanner - I couldn't have written it better myself.

Tanner40
02-12-13, 15:06
Thanks Chris and Honey Love! It's always an amazing thing when we can begin to retrain our brains not to immediately go to that cycle of fear.

HoneyLove, I would be very interested in reading some books about Buddhism. Any suggestions for a beginner?

skippy66
02-12-13, 15:47
Tanner I'm so pleased with how well you're doing. Seriously taking the bull by the horns - you've finally cracked this and you know how to get yourself better.

Tanner40
02-12-13, 17:56
Thanks Skippy. I'm certainly no expert, but I just keep on listening to folks like you and then I feel the fear but change my thought process. It's hard work, but it's all right here for anyone that truly wants it.