PDA

View Full Version : How much do you cost the NHS?

skippy66
02-12-13, 15:28
It's easy to look at the NHS and think 'it's free'. It isn't free by any means, we all pay for it in our taxes.

I've cost the NHS a small fortune over the 8 years I had health anxiety. Do I feel bad? Yes, although I've had a good job so I've paid a lot of tax - this is how I justify all those GP appointments and tests. But that niggling sense of selfishness (which I know deep down isn't the case with HA) creeps in from time to time. It's what motivated me to write my book, because if I can cure one person of their health anxiety I will have saved UK taxpayers a small fortune in unnecessary medical bills. The more I can help, the shorter the waiting lists for those who really do need medical help.

How much have you cost the NHS with your health anxiety through un-needed tests?

Doctor's appointment - £75
Consultant appointment - £150
X Ray - £50
CT scan - £300
Ultrasound - £300
MRI scan - £6/700

Interested to hear the results of this...

cpe1978
02-12-13, 15:54
One of the questions for me is.

If the NHS responded more effectively to mental health could much of this cost have been eliminated in the beginning.

People with HA present often at the GP with quite obvious anxiety, and if it isnt obvious it certainly will be before any serious cost to the NHS is incurred. People who demand tests from the NHS are desperate, they can't get to grips with the irrationality of their anxiety and no one is helping them in the way they need it.

You only have to look at some of the waiting times for CBT and how desperate some people are while waiting to appreciate how woefully inadequate the NHS can be in this regard. I work for the NHS and often people will say 'free at the point of need' the challenge for me, is appropriately identifying that need in the first place and taking responsibility for supporting a patient to come up with an appropriate treatment plan to deal with a treatable condition - anxiety.

unsure_about_this
02-12-13, 16:45
let see in the last two years 75 x 40 = £3,000 for GP appointments
two consultant appointments this year, £300
one ultrasound (abdominal) last year approx. £300
one CT scan of abdominal £300
MRI scan of abdominal we go for the top price £700
A couple of walk in centre at probably £75 per session = £150

If we add the total cost overall because I have a disability called dyspraxia and NF - I think the NHS has spend a lot of money on me. I cannot help having both. I have had three brains scans since being born, 11,12,18 and will probably have them every 15 years unless things change. my thing in my brain is not serious but still needs monitoring.

I do suffer from NF as well, so I do the odd MRI scan of brain Do I fear guilty yes but I am worried I have something serious wrong with me. I been scared of my abdominal pains could be cancer.

cpe1978
02-12-13, 17:04
The issue Phil isn't the cost but what that must be doing to you mentally. So you have been to the GP just over once every 3 weeks for the past two years? Obviously I don't know your medical history but that seems excessive.

skippy66
02-12-13, 17:29
It's clear that something needs to be done, but it's an impossible situation for doctors as if they don't refer every HA patient for tests then they could be seen to be negligent in the rare case that something IS wrong.

LE
02-12-13, 17:45
I've seen my gp at least once per week on average for the last 3 years. Thats about £12,700!!! I'm going to price up all the other tests and come back. Already I'm feeling shocking.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Sorry £11.,700

penguin120
03-12-13, 02:37
does this apply to people in the u.s.? never heard of the nhs. :shrug:

skippy66
03-12-13, 18:42
No. In the US you pay for your own health insurance. In the UK the taxpayers pay for everyone collectively.

Health anxiety must be more under control in the US as people would be more reluctant to go for unnecessary expensive tests because it doesn't seem 'free' - it may push their insurance premiums up and cost them more in the long run.

penguin120
04-12-13, 04:00
No. In the US you pay for your own health insurance. In the UK the taxpayers pay for everyone collectively.

Health anxiety must be more under control in the US as people would be more reluctant to go for unnecessary expensive tests because it doesn't seem 'free' - it may push their insurance premiums up and cost them more in the long run.

That's really interesting. And yeah, I really don't go to the doctor's that often, and I've never really had an unnecessary test...I am afraid of having to pay a lot...