PDA

View Full Version : New, would appreciate some help

Charlottie
09-11-06, 23:09
Hey, I'm Charlotte, I'm 16. :)
Well I've always been a worrier ever since I was little. But since March I've been having chest pains and difficulty breathing and when I went to the doctors he just said it was worry. Well after he told me that I felt fine but last week there was a gas attack on my college and it's brought all of it back. And right now it feels like my throat is tightening and like there's a lump in there but I can drink and eat perfectly fine and it goes away if I don't think about it. In fact it was getting better until just when I mentioned it. Well here's a list of the anxiety symptoms I have [they're bolded]:
Body
Burning Skin Sensation
Chronic Fatigue
Electric shock feeling
Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax.
Feel like you are going to pass out or faint
Feeling cold or chilled
Hyperactivity, excess energy
Increased or decreased sex drive
Muscle twitching
Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
No energy, feeling lethargic, tired
Numbness or tingling in hands, feet, face, head, or any other places on the body
Persistent muscle tension, stiffness
Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck [been getting it since the college incident]
Startle easily
Sweating, uncontrollable profuse sweating
The floor feels like it is moving either down or up for no reason
Trembling or shaking
Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom [and my first thought was omg I'm pregnant, but I haven't had sex :| see how much I worry?]
Warm spells
Weak legs, arms, or muscles

Chest
Chest pain or discomfort
Concern about the heart
Feel like you have to force yourself to breath
Find it hard to breath, feeling smothered, shortness of breath
Frequent yawning to try and catch your breath
Heart – beating hard or too fast, rapid heartbeat, palpitations
Heart - Irregular heart rhythms, flutters or ‘skipped’ beats, tickle in the chest that makes you cough
Tight chest, tight chest muscles

Emotions
Dramatic mood swings
Emotional blunting
Emotions feel wrong
Frequently feel like crying for no reason

Fears
A heightened fear of what people think of you
Afraid of being trapped in a place with no exits
Constant feeling of being overwhelmed.
Fear of being in public
Fear of dying [I'm just never going to die I've decided]
Fear of losing control - I didn't quote get this one but then it said this "You may feel that you might not be able to control your body or what you'll say. You may become very self-conscious among people." and I feel like that all the goddamn time
Fear of impending doom
Fear of making mistakes or making a fool of yourself to others
Fear that you are losing your mind
Fears about irrational things, objects, circumstances, or situations
Fears of going crazy, of dying, of impending doom, of normal things, unusual feelings and emotions, unusually frightening thoughts or feelings
Heightened self awareness, or self-consciousness
Need to find nearest washrooms before you can feel comfortable
Need to seat near exits

Head
Dizziness or light-headedness
Frequent headaches, migraine headaches
Feeling like there is a tight band around your head, pressure, tightness
Head, neck or shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
Giddiness
Shooting pains in the face [well in my ear/side of my face]
Shooting pains in the scalp or head
When you close your eyes you feel like are beginning to, or will, float upwards
Sore jaw that feels like a tooth ache
TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) - clenching of the jaw or grinding of the teeth

Hearing
Frequent or intermittent reduced hearing or deafness in one or both ears
Low rumbling sounds
Ringing in the ears, noises in the ears, noises in the head

Mind
Desensitization, depersonalization
[b]Fear of going crazy
Fear of losi

Insomniac
09-11-06, 23:30
Hi Charlotte and welcome.

This is a lovely place to get lots of support and advice. There's loads of info on Home page, including self help and symptoms (including why we get them!). I found it reassuring just to know I'm not alone, because we ofteh feel we are.

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Charlottie
09-11-06, 23:39
Thankyou :)
I've been looking around, it does seem a lot less scary now I know I'm not alone.

I just wish the lump in my throat would go away :(

nomorepanic
09-11-06, 23:42
Hi there and welcome aboard

I assume you copied that list from somewhere? Surely some are worse than others?

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

nomorepanic
09-11-06, 23:43
Have you read the website - www.nomorepanic.co.uk

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Charlottie
09-11-06, 23:48
Yeahh I copied the list off a site, it's just the bolded ones I get.

Yes I've just been reading it thankyou, it's making me feel a lot better already. :)
Sorry I was pretty scared about the throat thing when I posted at first.

matilda
10-11-06, 08:04
hi and welcome you will get lots of support here!!!

yorkylover
10-11-06, 14:46
Hi charlottie and welcome.Your not alone here pet,I think most of us here have some of these symptoms,if not all of them.You will get lots of support here.;)

Ellen XX

Alexocelix
10-11-06, 16:21
Hi there, a few months ago I suffered from the very same lump in my throat. Say when a bus arrived, I felt like I had to swallow, but couldn't manage it and then maybe thought I would have problems breathing. Or sitting watching tv, very annoying indeed eh? I can't think of an appropriate way to tell you best, but be assured, it will go away! It's always ultimately just caused by a thought, and it can't hurt you.

creatrix
10-11-06, 16:32
Hi, Charlotte. Welcome! That list you posted is quite helpful... I had NO idea that my ever-present sweets craving had anything to do with my anxiety!! You'll get lots of support here... it does seem so much better once you realize that you're not alone. And believe me, honey, you are NOT alone!

Charlottie
10-11-06, 20:08
Thankyou everyone :)
Yeah this lump in my throat is really uncomfortable :( And my throat muscles feel really tight but I can't relax them.
I manage to forget about them for a bit but when I swallow and realise I'm fine I start thinking about it and it comes back again :( Argh!

Southern_Belle
10-11-06, 20:36
Hi Charlottie,

Hi and welcome to NMP. You will make many friends here and hopefully we can help you ease some of your fears. I for one can tell you that you have already helped me with your list. I also had no idea that some of those things on that list were caused by anxiety. Thank you for that information. If you ever want to, please visit the chat room, it is informative and full of laughter. Take care.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

Charlottie
10-11-06, 20:45
Heya, no problem. I got that list off a site when I was looking up worrying and chest pains.
Do you think it would be useful to take that list to a doctor and tell them which ones I have? Because it's really starting to get me down.

GAD
10-11-06, 20:47
Hi there charlottie and welcome.

Have a good look around the site and you will soon see that you are not alone, im sure you will then start to feel a little reassured. It is soo overwhelming at first and just knowing that others are there is a huge help. Ive been suffering for a long time now but this site is my savior!

Michelle
xx

cfury
11-11-06, 02:05
You might not believe this, but I currently have all of your symptoms. Recently I have had the feeling like everybody at my school is talking behind my back. By the way, I just read that you have the symptoms of a panic attack in your sleep. Did you ever have sleep paralysis? And don't worry about that lump in your throat, its just a result of worrying too much. I get that feeling after I have an anxiety attack. It feels kind of hard to breath and really tight in my throat and chest, which is why I thought I was having a heart attack recently. Every time I see that defibulator in the hall at my school I think I'm having one.

Charlottie
11-11-06, 19:58
Mmm I used to be scared of talking to people in case I said the wrong thing. Even now sometimes I really start to concentrate on what I'm saying in case I just lose control and I say something horrible =/

I didn't have sleep paralysis no. Well it was for like a second I think. I just remember one monring I was asleep/half awake and all of a sudden there was thjis flash of white light and a loud buzzing sound and then I couldn't move for a few seconds. :| Very scary.

cfury
13-11-06, 00:39
Yeah that's considered sleep paralysis. If it ever happens again, just try to relax and you will snap out of it quicker than if you panic.

Charlottie
13-11-06, 23:16
Ahh ok, thankyou! It hasn't happened since but that was during a full week of chest pains/breathlessness.

Well today my chest pains have come back with avengeance; I couldn't actually move and I was almost in tears it hurt that bad. I hope this doesn't start it all off again. :(