PDA

View Full Version : My story!

citalmum
09-11-06, 23:12
Hello Everyone! :D

I'm new to this website. i just found it by chance and i hope you can help me.

I was diagnosed with post natal depression 2 1/2 years ago and put on 20mg citalopram. Been major ups and downs but here i am 2 1/2 years later still on 20mg citalopram and feelin awful.

All docs seem to say different things and whenever i tried coming off it i had such terrible side effects that i had to start again ( and that was even when i came off it ocer few months).

Now i don't feel sad but i feel as if i have no coping mechanism. i blow up or cry at every tiny thing, and completely mad on tidiness and get v. upset at mess. My poor husband is usually the brunt of this.

i'm thinkin of going up to 30 mg to see if it helps.

does this sound familiar? any one else been thru this?

Would love some advice from people who really know.

thanksxxx[:X]

Insomniac
09-11-06, 23:28
Hi there. Welcome to the forum. This really is a great place for advice and reassurance. There's lots of info on the Home page about symptoms and meds.

I have recently increased my meds. At first i felt dizzy, but now getting easier again. Coming off them is always a nightmare. I did with anti depresants before and it was awful. have you had any counselling?

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Sue K with 5
10-11-06, 03:36
Hi and welcome to NMP

I was told that my symptoms of panic and anxiety 4 years ago were also post natal after the birth of my daughter. I too went to citalopram and started off on 20mg dosage. I was very quickly moved up to 40mg and am now four years into it.

My symptoms are very differant to be honest I had suffered for a long time previously but had reached a point of no return after the death of my husbands father a week after willow was born so I know I had underlying symptoms which I was scared to confront.

I would suggest asking you gp for some councelling and also a possible change in medication because this is obviously not working for you.

I wish now I had never taken the medication but at the time it saved my life and my sanity.

I am sure there is an answer to this for you and I hope you find this site useful. Dont bury your feelings be honest and open and read the forum on a regular basis I think that this may help you to understand yourself more.

Take care

sue

scknight

LickeyEndBlues
10-11-06, 10:05
Hi Citalmum

As you will be finding out there is plenty of help, advice and support in here.

I'm 5 weeks into citalopram 20m/day, and the trick cyclist has suggested I may need to take it for a long time. I feel though as others have said that meds is only one part of the solution and other therapies shopuld also be happening alongside.

I have no doubt that you will find this site really useful......and a huge bit of light relief which I'm sure the doc would order!

Take care

Iain

Laissez les bon temp roulez

honeybee3939
10-11-06, 11:09
Hi,

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice here while making new friends on the way.

I have been taking Citalopram for 8 years now, although it did help with the symptoms of my panic i have still had to have different kinds of therapy to help me recover, maybe it would be a good idea to discuss with your GP some kind of Councilling etc, it does sound that the medication may not be working for you, i had to try a few antidepressents before i found the right one that helped.

Take a look at this post it may help:

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxx

manmoor
10-11-06, 11:49
Hi There,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

nomorepanic
10-11-06, 13:17
Hi citalmum

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Paddington
10-11-06, 13:18
Just wanted to welcome youto the site,You have made the best move, joining here!You will get the support and answers you need.Love mary rose,xxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

yorkylover
10-11-06, 14:03
Hi there,I have had the exact same problem with citalopram.I came of for 3 months,side affects were hell,doctor put me back on again.
You will get some really helpfull advise here.;)

Ellen XX

trac67
10-11-06, 14:12
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

citalmum
11-11-06, 19:44
thank you so much to everyone who sent encouraging messages.
I have decided to go up to 30mg and last two days have been good.

I have another question. DO you all find it hard to loose weight while on citalopram?
i need to loose 2 stone and im always hungry. Any advice?
a weight loss adviser told me slimming world is good for people on anti- depressents. any comment?

thanks guys[8D]

nomorepanic
12-11-06, 15:29
I put on a lot of weight when I was on Dothiepin and Prozac as well.

Just make sure if you are hungry that you are nibbling on healthy things and not sweets, biscuits, chocolates and crisps. Get some fruit in and something like celery sticks or carrots.

I did the best on the Weight Watchers diet.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

sal
12-11-06, 23:36
Hi Hun

I went through what you did but didnt except help until it was a lot worse. I am on same tablets and took 20 mg until 60 mg, but tried loads first and cipromil but when had no choice tried again. Made me feel worse but not like the first time i tried them as went on to them slowly. I cant knock them as still on them and made me ME again.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".