PDA

View Full Version : ENT today

LE
02-12-13, 19:56
So I had a follow up appointment with an ENT consultant about fluid in my ears.

Tests showed its clearing.

I told him I feel like something stuck near my right tOnsil and I also mentioned about the lymph nodes I can feel. He examined my neck and said he does not feel anything that shouldn't be there. He asked me to point the node out which I did and he said there was nothing to feel.

Nxt he put a camera scope into my nose and down to my throat and said everything is perfectly healthy, nothing at all wrOng?!

And yet I can't stop worrying about these lymph nodes and cancer. He said he is willing to bet his mortgage that I dOnt have cancer. He said out of all the people he has seen today I am one of the healthiest.

He saw me 3 months ago and examined me and said if there was anything sinister there would be changes and he would feel them an that there are not.

But then i sit here now and I can feel a light achiness at my neck..... And I just know its the lymph nodes.

I've asked my gp for a full body ct scan and she has said no because nothing has been found to show one needed.

It's so hard to feel these things and to be told they are nothing sinister

HoneyLove
02-12-13, 20:06
Hi LE, it sounds like your doctors have taken very good care of you and are very thorough.

It's time for you to start trusting their opinion and start working on the health anxiety - what have you been doing to manage it? Have you tried CBT or therapy?

Fishmanpa
02-12-13, 20:24
Well that's GREAT news and I told you that would happen :) One of the healthiest people he'd seen?... How can you beat that?

Positive thoughts!

LE
02-12-13, 20:58
Thank you both.

I know you both have been through a lot. Do you think he would have saw something or felt something if it was sinister?

I'm at a psychologist HL just started. I just feel pain in my neck area even though ENT saying nothing wrong. It's what stoppig me from focussing on beating the anxiety.

Fishmanpa
02-12-13, 21:15
Do you think he would have saw something or felt something if it was sinister?

:doh: I'm at a loss on that one.

"Yeahbut's disease" is spreading I see ;)

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
02-12-13, 22:11
LE, I can second Fishmanpa's and HoneyLove's advice and opinions. You have to begin to trust your physician and more importantly, begin to trust yourself. I used to have terrible muscle pains in my neck. When I could calm down enough to realize it, I found that half of the time I had my neck tensed up to my ear lobes. Anxiety and stress can do the craziest things, but not if we don't allow it.

I finally had enough and decided to take back my life. CBT and the folks on this board were a huge help. I had to stop asking for reassurance and begin to think and write about positive experiences, even when I didn't feel well. Fake it until I make it, I said. And I'm making it!

Possibly a good CBT course online and some are even free. You've got to do the work. Constant reassurance is not the answer. It only breeds a quest for more and more reassurance.

Good luck on your journey.

Mr Mannering
03-12-13, 13:28
Very good post. I too went to see ENT and they sent me for an MRI because they cannot find the cause of the issue which is very low hearing and tinnitus noise. However they are completely ignoring the fact that my ear buzzes on deep voices or noises as if it was a perforated ear drum. So when the MRI comes back as clear, I am obviously hoping for that, they will say sorry no idea why this occurs..... which frustrates me.