PDA

View Full Version : I am so glad I found this website

EJH
14-07-04, 20:09
Hi Everyone- this is my first time on this website and I am so glad I found it. I am currently off work for a week under Dr's instructions due to high blood pressure and re-occuring panic attacks (I work as an emergency call taker for my regional ambulance service) - the panic attacks I can usually control but I am experiencing an emotional relapse as I'm sure most of you will be familiar with!
I am finding them exhausting at the moment and can't stop napping during the day- think its also the stress of not letting them affect my understanding but bewildered partner and our 2 yr old daughter!
Anyway I am looking forward to getting back online and chatting to some of you- its so nice to find other people who understand (although my partner still doesn't understand why I sat crying with relief through some of the personal stories!) Men! Who don't panic!

Mell1988
14-07-04, 20:14
Hi there,

Just wanted to say welcome to you. I'm a recent member myself - not suffering panic attacks as such but severe anxiety and health related worries about my son which have become very difficult to handle.

It's nice to know we're not alone isn't it and we can always vent our bad days as well as our good ones with each other and know that they'll understand!

My husband is very much the same as yours, understanding but can't quite comprehend why I feel so much anxiety and how difficult it is. Mind you, if I was on the other side I would feel the same as there's no logic to my behaviour sometimes ! (most of the time in fact) - I seem to know the things that set off my anxiety yet can't avoid doing them so it's a vicious circle.

Take Care

nomorepanic
14-07-04, 21:21
Hi EJH

Welcome to the website and the message forum. Glad you found us and I am sure that we can all offer you some help.

Panic/anxiety is tiring - most of us know that, so we can understand you feeling so drained.

I have high blood pressure too but I am on medication so I hope yours is only temporary.

Good to see you here.

Nicola

Meg
14-07-04, 22:15
Hello,

Welcome to the site ..

What started the panics off and when was the beginning of this emotional turmoil for you ?
hav eyou had any help for them apart from this week off ?

I hope you can relax a lot and start to recover .

Keep posting

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

sarah
14-07-04, 23:30
Hi there

just wanted to say hi and welcome to the site.

I hope we can be helpful to you in any way. If its to ask a question or just for reassurance we will be there for you.

take care
love sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

EJH
15-07-04, 13:30
Thanks for all your replies- my blood pressure is an ongoing thing I'm afraid- since I was 17 (I'm now 25) and I'm taking 100mg of Atenolol a day- was wondering if anyone had any experiences of taking this too? I've only been taking it about 6months and recently had my dosage increased- I find it ok but it makes me a bit sluggish and sometimes dizzy.

My worst panic times are standing in queues in shops- I hate the feeling of not being able to get away quickly- anyone else feel like this?

sarah
15-07-04, 13:49
Hiya

I used to feel like this all the time. To te point that I would drive round the block 10 times to get a parking space right outside the shop and when I eventually got one, if there was a queue in the shop I wouldnt go in.

The only way I got over it was exposure. I went to a local friendly shop and bought a pint of milk or a paper and left. Gradually, the more I did this, the more I got used to being in shops and graduated to buying more than one item, then going in busier shops etc.

i can now go in supermarkets on my own and queue with a reasonably big basket with only a little wobble occasionally.

I really do believe that practice makes perfect for us and how we feel.......

Also, there is no law in the world that says that once we get in a queue we cant leave it and put the stuff back and run....lol

take care
love sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

sal
15-07-04, 18:15
Hi

Welcome to the site. Isnt it a great relief to read the personal stories and realise you are not alone.

Sorry to hear you arent doing to well, but anxiety does drain you. After many panic attacks i feel like i could sleep forever.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Love Sal xxx

nomorepanic
15-07-04, 20:10
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Thanks for all your replies- my blood pressure is an ongoing thing I'm afraid- since I was 17 (I'm now 25) and I'm taking 100mg of Atenolol a day- was wondering if anyone had any experiences of taking this too? I've only been taking it about 6months and recently had my dosage increased- I find it ok but it makes me a bit sluggish and sometimes dizzy.

My worst panic times are standing in queues in shops- I hate the feeling of not being able to get away quickly- anyone else feel like this?

<div align="right">Originally posted by EJH - 15 July 2004 : 13:30:38</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
I cannot take Atenolol cos I get asthma - they gave me once and it disagreed with me completely. I am on Coversyl (Perindopril) for the high blood pressure.

As for shopping and queueing I think we have all been there and it is hard yeah.

Coping tactics if you dare do them are to chat to the person behind you, buy a magazine and stand reading it or if it gets really bad, just say "I need to nip to the loo, I am pregnant". They don't know do they!

As Sarah says it gets easier with practice.

Nicola

april tones
15-07-04, 22:25
hi there, welcome! i used to suffer from panic attacks very bad. They returned when i was pregnant with my son and after birth. I hadnt had one for over 4 months till other night as i was poorly and was breathless, it gets better, if you want to chat, message me, love april x

apriltones