PDA

View Full Version : Prozac Side Effects, Specifically Jaw Pain

Nicoleeo
03-12-13, 11:04
Hey. So I failed that anxiety and depression test at the doctor's office miserably. As a result, I was sent home with a 30 day supply of 10mg fluoxetine and an appointment to check- in in two weeks. This is day nine of being on fluoxetine. I have to say, I HATED the first six days I was on this drug. Truly and deeply. I had to talk myself into every pill I took. The initial side-effects were horrible. My second day, there was a pain and a pressure in and around my ear that caused me to think I was having some sort of stroke. My anxiety level was 100 times worse than it had been (and it was already through the roof), after that 2nd day, there was a constant pressure in my whole head, nausea, muscle weakness, jaw clenching. I've clenched my jaw at night my whole life. Now it's also during the day. A constant tired and achy feeling in my jaw. My whole upper body really, but most noticeable in my jaw.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this something that will pass with time? The head pressure has gone, as has the nausea, and today is 2 days panic-attack-free!!! It's been 4 years. So, there are benefits, but this jaw thing sucks. Especially since jaw pain is a heart attack symptom and when I experience such feelings, well, panic attack. I will stick this out if someone can offer me hope that this too, shall pass.

Happy Tuesday! Thanks for anything you might have to say! :)

Emphyrio
03-12-13, 12:56
Jaw clenching is common on SSRIs, and yes, it will pass in time. 9 days is not long at all to be on this medication, so its good that you've received positive effects from it so far.

nomirawr1
04-12-13, 04:20
I would hazard a guess that the jaw aches are from the extended time you're spending clenching your jaw. The muscles around there aren't used to being tensed that much, so as with any other muscle, if you overuse it - it gets sore (much like if you start suddenly chewing gum all the time, you get a sore, achy jaw).
The upper body aching is probably much the same, if your anxiety was heightened and you were more tense than usual, that can cause your muscles to become a bit sore and achy, particularly in your back/shoulders.

If you're seeing positive effects from the meds, consider sticking it out to see if the negative side effects dissapear after a time. My GP said that its quite normal for it to take about 6 weeks for your body to adjust to the new meds.