PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety Tips

nadimac14
03-12-13, 19:39
Hi! I'm new here and wanted to start out by posting about some techniques that have helped me survive severe health anxiety. I suffer from other types of anxiety as well, but this seems to be in the forefront lately. I think it will help me feel better to try and help others that have been through similar experiences, and if anyone has any tips/advice for me, I'd love to hear!

I can't guarantee these tips will help everyone, they're just what have worked for me...

Seek outside help - Talk to your doctor about getting help, be it counselling, medication, or both. There is support out there, you just have to seek it. Doing this helped me feel a sense of control/empowerment - I am doing everything in my power to help myself.

Ride the wave - When panic hits, I have been practising 'riding it out' as opposed to desperately trying to fight it off. I imagine it as a big wave coming over me, and try to breath and let it pass by.

Stop googling - This is really hard for me, but I know in theory that it will help. I'm trying to google my symptoms less, to a point where I'm no longer doing it at all.

Imagine the worst case scenario - I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it helps me to go ahead and imagine the worst case scenario (ie - I have cancer) and how I would cope. I remind myself that people can and do cope every day all over the world, and I would too should I end up in that position. It's life, and I am strong enough to handle it if I have to. I am a damn warrior, and so are you.

Face the fear - This is so hard, and it increases my anxiety in the short term but provides relief eventually. I go to the doctor for whatever it is that's scaring me and have it investigated. I get intensely anxious, but after I find out everything is okay I find I can move on (for the time being).

I hope this helps someone. I am currently having a bout of bad health anxiety and it's just awful. A year and a half ago I had severe cervical dysplasia (pre cancer) and had to have surgery, and I just went for my third follow-up pap this morning. I'm terrified and convinced that the dysplasia has come back, but am trying my best to use these coping techniques to get through it.

Hang in there, everyone :)

Fishmanpa
03-12-13, 19:55
Great Post and a welcome voice of reason.

Worriedwellornot
03-12-13, 20:34
Great top tips. Will try to do the same!

Tanner40
03-12-13, 21:58
Great post with some wonderful coping mechanisms. Welcome to the Forum. I know that you will find a lot of help here, as I have.

nadimac14
05-12-13, 20:45
Thanks very much! I'm already finding it helpful :)