PDA

View Full Version : hair pulling is this a ocd

Torri
04-12-13, 18:47
I am really worried about a habit that i have suffered with for the past year i(i think) it could be longer....literally pull my hair out i have been on the nhs website and they have gave it a very big name and and said is a form of self harm or ocd etc, i am really worried about this and its stressing me out...i do it with out knowing and people around me have started to mention it to me...i have been dignosed with panic disorder and on meds for it...for the last 2 years are the meds to blame for this or shall i speak t the doctor
any advice would be great or i would like to hear from anyone that has the same habits etc

Rennie1989
05-12-13, 19:11
Trichotillomania (trick-o-till-o-mania). I am very aware of this condition because I suffered a nasty episode of it. Literally had two or three bald patches on the back of my hair. The hair is still very short from these patches and takes a lot of styling to hide it (unfortunately I have curly hair so it's very noticeable).

The way I got through it was to keep my hands busy. I remember on quite a few occasions that I literally had to strap my hands around a stress ball because my hands kept wondering to my head. I tried knitting and writing, both requiring my attention and concentration. And it takes self discipline, to remember to stop doing it (as silly as it sounds, but true) and to not do it when the impulse arises.

It's only self harm if you do it knowingly. Like you I did it without knowing and was more of an impulse disorder. I recommend seeing your doctor because nobody here will know why you do it (or why it happens to you) and they can arrange some treatment for you.